Arrive LGA on AA. Depart EWR on BA

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by KyRoamer, Oct 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I arrive LGA at 1:40 pm on a Monday and depart EWR on BA at 6:25 pm. I am flying on an AA FC award ticket.

I assume that I will have to get my bags at LGA and recheck them at EWR. Is this correct?

When must I arrive EWR to have time to check bags?

If I land on time, is it reasonable to think I can get my checked bags within 30 minutes of landing?

Do I have enough time if I book a car service for 2:10 pm to safely make my 6:25 pm connection?

What if I miss it?

BTW I tried to get to NYC the day before but no tickets award tickets were available and this is for next May!!! My flight options to NYC are all on American Eagle.

2. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually bags for international at most airports and airlines are an hour before departure. I'm sure there's someone who knows EWR off the top of their head. You can do self search on their website as each airport is subject to times above the standard published time. They'll say something like be at airport 30 minutes beforehand to check, but SFO for instance is 45. This example is domestic. Confident one of our knowledgeable members will be able to provide you with an exact answer.

3. AAdam_flyer

AAdam_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I assume that I will have to get my bags at LGA and recheck them at EWR. Is this correct? In my experience, yes. You will need to recheck.

When must I arrive EWR to have time to check bags? I always say 1hr before at the latest, aim for earlier always because of long lines.

If I land on time, is it reasonable to think I can get my checked bags within 30 minutes of landing? 30-45 is usually a good estimate.

Do I have enough time if I book a car service for 2:10 pm to safely make my 6:25 pm connection? It's about an hour drive so you should be fine for a 6:25 flight... car service should have you there before 4pm.

What if I miss it? You shouldn't miss it... with the itinerary you mentioned.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Wandering Aramean and flyforawg like this.
  4. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Full details here.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Waiting for the crazy folks to chime in and say you should take public transport... :)

LGA to Newark on a good day is an hour. If the bridges / tunnels are fickle or the president is in town, that can be seriously much longer.

Assuming you're arriving LGA on a domestic flight, I'd wager you'll be curbside by 2:15, depending on where your gate is. If the traffic gods smile on you I'd say you'll be checking your bag somewhere between 3:30-4pm, depending on which route your driver goes.

Monday afternoon should not be a bad traffic day, but you never know. Best of luck :)

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is ~2 hours by public transit. Slightly worse schedules on the weekends. Either way the OP should be fine with 4:45 to make the switch.

Most of the car service options will let you just name your arrival time and then call when you land and are outside with 10-15 minutes from that to when the car is at the curb. That is better than trying to guess your curb time.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    viguera likes this.
  7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    And with the cab lines at LGA very frequently a LONG wait, car service is the surest way to make sure you get out of LGA quickly.

If you were arriving JFK, the folks who might suggest public transportation would have a stronger argument. But, with no subway service to LGA ga, the buses don't yet have the ability to hover over traffic.

viguera likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new Q70 express service to Roosevelt-74th has been very efficient IME, even during higher traffic periods.

Also, for AA arrivals there are two cab lines at LGA and the one at the end of the terminal around the corner has been consistently very reasonable to non-existent for me for a long time now.

9. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Forgot about that. Yes, if you go around the corner the other cab line is generally much shorter.

10. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the good advice. Odds greatly favor a safe transit. BUT I traded risks am now flying through CLT to EWR scheduled in at 1:07. The trade was I gave up a non-stop for a plane with an almost 3 hour connect time. Still every time you or your checked bags change planes things can go wrong. Anyhow even though I have to leave home three hours earlier and switch planes, I like this better than reclaiming luggage at LGA and having to make my way on my own to EWR. I also save the cost of the transfer

flyforawg likes this.