Arrive at SEA 3hrs before domestic flight?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dcw74, Apr 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dcw74

dcw74 Active Member

Status Points:
    We've got a flight out of SEA on UA coming up, and when I printed out our boarding passes, there was a note that advised arriving 3hrs before departure if checking baggage, 2 hrs if not, due to "security screening delays." I've never arrived that early for a flight out of SEA, and I didn't see any information about security delays on the airport website. Has anyone who's flown out of Seattle recently experienced delays going through security?

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am flying out tomorrow and did not receive any such notice. I have never had a problem in many flights out of SEA in the past.

dcw74 likes this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've waited ~30-35 mins to clear security at SEA before...

marcwint55 likes this.
  4. dcw74

dcw74 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I've never had an issue either

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I once arrived at SEA with just under an hour. I was fine. Albeit, I had a first class ticket and got to use the premium security checkpoint (no PreCheck then), but I was still fine. Three hours is excessive even if you're just an average passenger.

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    The longest I've waited to get thru security at SEA is about 30 minutes. Now that I have pre-check, I still budget 30 minutes to clear and walk to north satellite gates. After UA's move to A gates I will at least not have to backtrack.

TravelBear and marcwint55 like this.
  7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always try to get to the airport 3 hours before a domestic flight (4 hours international). I'd rather be bored in the airport for a few hours than risk missing my flight.

boondr, TravelBear and marcwint55 like this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The congestion was a bit heavy at Sea-Tac this morning, but a three hour early arrival is not at all needed.

9. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, even I who cannot stand being late and always get places early don't even do 3 hours. I do get a little anxious if I am pushing under 2 hours though. But, we all have our comfort zone.

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That notice has been printed on the bottom of UA OLCI boarding pass for some time now. I think the times are excessive, though for an infrequent passenger with no status who is checking luggage and doesn't know their way around, those are reasonable times in order to avoid the chance of missing the flight.

With no checked bags and a boarding pass in hand, I often arrive 60 minutes before my flight at SEA, and I'm usually airside in under 10 minutes. It doesn't take more than 10 minutes to get to any gate from the C-3 checkpoint which is where pre-check is located.

Having said that, in my experience congestion is heaviest in the mornings, and as cruise season ramps up, and airlines add flights and maybe TSA doesn't add staffing, you can expect heavier TSA delays between Memorial Day and Labor Day, especially in the mornings, and the airport drive can also back up.

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually: I leave my house an hour before my flight... 30 minutes before it boards... and have a 20-minute travel time. The joy of being in Austin and flying off-hours!

The plan: Two hours before and work in the club before my flight. Never happens.