Arrivals lounges and the new United

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Pat+, Mar 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is nothing on the new united.com that seems to indicate that access to Arrivals lounges is still restricted to passengers on full fares (and award tickets.)

Has the policy actually changed? That would be a change I'd like.

Has anyone attempted to use an Arrivals lounge on an upgrade to Business(First) since 03/03?

redwoman and uggboy like this.
  2. redwoman

redwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Feeling a bit bad since nobody has replied. I would guess that the policy may still stand and it's no longer spelled out. At which airport are you arriving? I have flown First on an A fare (discounted, not full fare) internationally, and 2/2 with getting an invite to the ORD F Arrivals lounge, the most recent on March 5. I think these have been rebranded as Global First Lounges, which are First on a 3-cabin (not BF). The old text you're thinking of for these lounges also granted access to full-fare business fares. My experience has been that a UA employee meets you when you deplane and gives you an invite. So, if you don't get an invite, you probably aren't invited. :D

Having said that, at LHR there is a *A arrivals lounge, and according to their rules, any revenue passenger in UA metal Business or First (and presumably BF would work now as well, since it's a premium cabin, not Econ) will have access. You need to have a premium cabin listed on your boarding pass, and you will get that even if you paid for an econ ticket and got upgraded. Upgraded econ is considered a revenue fare. You would get a lounge invite with your BP upon OLCI or as a "second BP" that gets spit out with your BP at a kiosk or agent's desk. I also think that I remember seeing that C or F award tix are also considered revenue fares. Funny fact: gov't fares (for once!) and industry special tix aren't considered revenue.

3. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they go with the old CO policy, you can get into the arrivals lounges (or day room at nearby hotel if no lounge) regardless of how you got into the BusinessFirst or GlobalFirst cabin. No distinction was made at CO between full fare, discount fare, award ticket, or upgrade when it came to lounge access. Based on everything else, the lack of a policy that says you can't have access on certain types of tickets would lead me to assume that you do have access, and that the PMCO policy is the one they're following.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope it is the sCO policy, but it definitely is not yet clear. Remeber also that sUA only offered arrivals facilities in a very small number of destinations compared to the sCO options.

5. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have asked this question in various places and have not gotten any response

6. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bump. Any updates?

If not, I'll attempt to get into the Arrivals lounge at SFO next week with my NC ticket and report back (if the dragons don't eat me.)

7. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I inquired about a trip from HKG to ORD and whether or not I'd have access to the arrivals facility on a coach ticket upgraded with a GPU. I was told that the ORD facility is for GS members, full fare business, and first class passengers.

My connection to HKG had issues so I was rebooked via NRT and IAH so I never tried it out.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I asked about the shower in ORD upon arrival from NRT on Tuesday. As a business class passenger I was directed to the C17 lounge and told to ask at the counter. I did and an hour later had to leave to catch my connecting flight. I was #2 on the list for a shower when I showed up and after an hour they couldn't accommodate me. :(

I have been told that the sCO policy is the one which is supposed to survive but I cannot speak much to how well that is actually happening.

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last time I asked about this I was told: because this is an sUA flight, no showers. That was EWR - ZRH. Of course there are showers in the Senator lounge, but I wasn't connecting.

11. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You didn't qualify for the arrivals lounge?

12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How long ago was that? Prior to 3.3 that was definitely the case but they have supposedly been shifting towards the sCO policy.

13. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you arrive in FRA after 11:30am, even in paid C, you are denied lounge access. To be more precise, if you don't have a same day onward flight, LH has the Welcome Lounge, but it closes around 11:30am. UA has 3 flights that don't make it - the late flights from IAD, IAH and SFO. The Welcome Lounge is closed when they arrive (or very soon thereafter). If you clear transit security and try to use the Senator Lounge for shower or snack, you will be denied if you don't have a same day onward flight. UA should have an arrival service even if flights arrive at noon or after.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I believe the thought there is that for the later flights you'll have access to your booked hotel that night so there isn't a need to offer the access.

15. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    That doesn't help if you want to sleep through breakfast onboard and then eat when you land, or if you are taking a train or car somewhere, and want to freshen up, or you are meeting someone before going to a hotel. It's not like the showers aren't there in multiple Senator lounges, you just can't access them. The situation is even worse arriving in MUC where there is no arrivals lounge and you are still denied the facilities in the Senator lounge, even for an early morning arrival. At least that was my experience a couple of years ago and I don't think there was an alternate arrivals lounge location.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    CO used the Kempinski for arrivals in MUC; I'm guessing the company still does, at least for the EWR arrivals.

You're correct that there are many situations where it doesn't work well. But I doubt UA is going to convince the German authorities to just forget about their immigration and security policies to let some random passengers go through for a lounge. Plus LH wouldn't admit you anyways, even on an LH inbound.

17. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Further to what WA says, you need to ask for an invitation
    when you deplane.

18. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have gotten in to the LH lounge upon arrival at MUC while flying LH. The LH in-flight magazine says (or used to say) that you can use the lounges at MUC as arrivals lounges if you are booked in C or F. The last time I tried this (about a year ago) the lounge people grumbled about this, so this offering may no longer be in effect.

ETA the LH website implies that this policy is still in effect, though presumably you would have to use non-Schengen lounges if arriving from the US.

19. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    On September 5th, on an F award my daughter and myself both received Arrivals lounge invitations upon deplaning our UA flight from NRT to ORD. We were the first two on the shower list, and my daughter got in after about 10 minutes, with myself getting in 50 minutes later (about 35 minutes after my daughter finished her shower). The Global First shower requests get placed ahead of the Biz shower requests coming from the United Club. I think the delay for my shower was due to the shift change that happened with the gentlemen who attend to the showers.

Food an drink selection was excellent as an aside in the GF lounge. And it always amazes me how a shower and a teeth brushing can make you feel like a million bucks, even after a nice cozy flight in first for 11 hours!

20. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a data point, I was admitted today at Arrivals in SFO, after flying in upgraded C. I must admit the agent did an insane amount of typing, and ended up just writing my PNR on a piece of paper, so I can't quite tell if she somehow wasn't able to retrieve the fare type or something, but I certainly wasn't going to inquire. If that's policy, well that's a change I like. Too bad there's so few Arrivals lounges.

snod08 and iolaire like this.
  21. boyzfly

boyzfly Active Member

Status Points:
    i would love to use the lounge in sFO when i come in from ASIA..

22. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    For SFO arrivals can it be a UA ticket without any UA flights? I.e. arriving on SQ departing some time later on US both in first on an UA award ticket?

23. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, not under any circumstances. There are Star Alliance rules governing departure lounges, but not arrival lounges. Arrivals is a UA facility for UA customers flying on UA metal.

snod08, unavaca and iolaire like this.
  24. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the first data point I've seen indicating C upgraders may be getting into the SFO Arrivals Lounge. Will be interested to see additional data.

25. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Late March / Early April. I got the usual song and dance: asked the concierge at the U-club: ask the concierge at the gate; no concierge at the gate; asked the gate agent: this is a sUA flight, no concierge; the GA though called in and came on the plane and said: this is a sUA flight, no shower.