Around the world with no luggage. None

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Around+world+with+luggage+None/4719805/story.html

Very interesting story, some learnings for the heavy packer. ;)

Last year, I set off on a journey that took me around the world, without using a single piece of luggage. For six weeks, I made my way through England, France, Spain, Morocco, Egypt, South Africa, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, New Zealand and the United States without carrying so much as a man-purse or a fanny pack.
    The few items I did bring (including a toothbrush, an iPod and a few extra items of clothing) were tucked away in my pockets. Along the way, I learned a thing or two about improvisation, hygiene and what is and isn't necessary to bring when travelling the world.
    When I first announced my intention to circumnavigate the globe without luggage, I got a common (and admittedly reasonable) reaction from my friends and family: Why do such a thing?
    I usually answered that I'd always liked to travel light, and that going without any bags at all sounded like a fun challenge. But beyond the stunt-like nature of the trip, I wanted to know how travelling ultra-light would affect my time on the road. At the heart of my whimsical journey was an experiment that would test out a more philosophical idea: That what we experience in life is more important than what we bring with us.

Horse, Sean Colahan, N965VJ and 2 others like this.
  2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It must have been interesting to go through security in a few places.

N965VJ likes this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bet.
    Also- no checked in luggage is very understandable. No luggage at all? Hmm...

N965VJ and milchap like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done overnight trips to Miami with nothing but my wallet, and even weekend trips with the plan to "procure on site" -- but that was relatively short trips to a destination where I *knew* I would find everything needed with relative ease. It's a whole other deal to actually do what this guy did. Hardcore indeed.

N965VJ and sobore like this.
  5. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love that list of necessities that fit in his pockets for the trip. Particularly the folding bluetooth keyboard.

6. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is an interesting story. I find what I need for a week will work for a month, etc. Just need to be diligent about washing, layering, etc. Haven't checked bags in 20-odd years (with a couple of exceptions that weren't by choice). And I've done a few RTWs.

N965VJ, jmrich1432 and sobore like this.
  7. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool article, I've gotten a lot of sideways looks when going to Europe with just a backpack. I had to forward the article to those people, makes me look more "normal." :p

N965VJ and sobore like this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did go to New York once (from Europe) without any luggage. I was on a conference call, and left my office late for the drive to the airport. On arrival at the airport, still on the call, I had a sinking feeling I had forgotten something. Yes- my luggage was still in my office. I DID have my laptop and passport with me. Flight time was ~80 minutes from departure- and the office was one hour each way with traffic.

So...
    Walk into the airport- and go to check in. The very nice man at the queue explains to me very slowly: "Welcome to checkin for New York Kennedy- it works like this- FIRST you get your luggage, THEN you checkin."

I explained everything I was travelling with was with me. This was not a long time after 9/11, was a US air carrier, and they were fairly new to servicing this airport- so... after a very long talk with security in a nice little room- I was finally allowed to board (although I did hear some staff saying "there he is- the guy without any luggage").

Needless to say an Excellent trip to New York as not only was work very successful, I got to celebrate by buying a complete new wardrobe for the upcoming season!

I have flown this route several times a year since- and the longer term staff (there are not a lot of them as there are only 2 flights/day with their airline) like to joke "Oh... you remembered your carry-on".

N965VJ and jmrich1432 like this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    LOL! Sort of a local celebrity!

Horse and N965VJ like this.
  10. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahem.. not really famous- more "infamous".

N965VJ likes this.
  11. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    My next trip is to DC for a few days to visit family, and I've "calculated" what to pack to avoid checking a bag.

For me it is extremely difficult to pack ultralight because I'm 6' 8" with size 18 shoes. I can't just walk into clothing or shoes stores on location for replacement items in case my belongings get lost or damaged. It just isn't possible for someone my size. This makes everything more difficult to plan. If I think I need to pack an extra pair of shoes, it'll take up the same space of 2-3 extra pairs of your shoes. I bet a pair of my jeans takes up as much room as 2 pairs of yours.

Imagine me walking into a shoe store in Morocco and asking for some sneakers!

But - I think I've got it all figured out. The real challenge now is to get my wife to do the same!

N965VJ, jmrich1432 and sobore like this.
  12. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Man are you preaching to the choir! :D

Horse and N965VJ like this.
  13. sparxe
    Original Member

sparxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    We recently bought large backpacks (2500-2650 cu in) for the majority of our travel. They are carry-on size and are easy to carry while sightseeing if necessary. We love them so far but will put them to the real test soon.

N965VJ likes this.
  14. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cool article.

Sometimes I think I'm going in the wrong direction with all the tech gadgets I carry with me now, versus 10 or 15 years ago. Two laptops instead of one, two cell phones instead of one, etc.

But then my tiny Lenovo X100e uses the same power brick as my T510. My old Motorola flip phone had a bulky charger. I had a Sony Mavica digital camera that wrote to floppy discs, now I've found that the camera in my Blackberry Tour is adequate for my casual needs. The Walkman is long gone, now I stream Pandora.