Around The World In 50 Years

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Newscience, Apr 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    AROUND THE WORLD IN 50 YEARS
    My Adventure to Every Country on Earth
    Albert Podell
    Thomas Dunne Books
    $26.99

Many frequent flyers like to keep score of all the countries they have visited. For an elite group of frequent flyers, bragging rights belong to those who are members of the "100 countries club". But how many people can say that they have traveled to every country in the world?

A bona fide world traveler - Albert Podell - did just that! It took him 50 years to achieve his quest of visiting every country on the globe. Lucky for us, he wrote a book about his travels that is very highly entertaining - a "must read" for those who love world travelling.

According to his publisher, Albert survived: "riots, revolutions, civil wars, trigger-happy child soldiers, voodoo priests, robbers, pickpockets, corrupt cops, and Cape buffalo. He went around, under, or through every kind of earthquake, cyclone, tsunami, volcanic eruption, snowstorm, and sandstorm that nature threw at him. He ate everything from old camel meat and rats to dung beetles and the brain of a live monkey. And he overcame attacks by crocodiles, hippos, anacondas, giant leeches, flying crabs-and several beautiful girlfriends who insisted that he stop this nonsense and marry them."

See:

http://us.macmillan.com/aroundtheworldin50years/albertpodell

http://us.macmillan.com/author/albertpodell

jonspencer, anileze, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  2. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem with this is do the rules say you have to go back to a country if it's name or borders changes..... consider what's happened with just the Soviet Union, East/West Germany, North/South Vietnam etc etc etc.

<lol>

DTWBOB

anileze, timfrost and Newscience like this.
  3. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    Damnit! I just left Ceylon and now it's Sri Lanka! :eek:

Dublin_rfk, anileze and Newscience like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    That particular name change occurred in 1972! :eek:

anileze likes this.
  5. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I cry every time I see a pin-in-the-map traveler. Sure, you stick a pin in the map: what did you (or anyone else) get out of it? Hopefully, my travels will leave the world a better place.

anileze, timfrost and Newscience like this.
  6. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm behind in the times... nevermind my parents hadn't even met when that happened.

Newscience likes this.
  7. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    A pin-in-the-map traveler isn't by default a terrible thing. I can't say for sure what I have done for the rest of the world (other than two life-changing-for-them snorkel lessons I gave pro-bono in Hawaii last year), but my travels have definitely improved me and made me a happier, if not markedly better person. I don't care to visit everywhere on earth just to say that I've done it but I've tried to take something from every one of my travels. Either way, it's still an accomplishment to have been everywhere, whether over a bar bet or "for the greater good."

Newscience and anileze like this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Contrary to popular mythology, there are no "travelers" ever since a travel industry and tourism as business sprouted.

Newscience likes this.
  9. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    really quite impressive he made it to all of them :eek:

some countries can be quite difficult to reach due to obtaining visas and expensive transport costs (not to mention wars and diseases)

I hear of people having rules about counting total countries which I think is nonsense, you have either been in a country or you have not

my countries visited list is well over a one hundred but I never liked islands much, so I am resigned to the fact, I will not see them all :(

Newscience and anileze like this.
  10. 365RoadWarrior

Status Points:
    I'm trying to "hold the line". All my travel, once I've flown to a continent or very distant destination, is by bicycle, often thousands of miles worth.

(I'm speaking here of my discretionary travel, not business.)

MX and Newscience like this.
  11. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the days of getting on a camel, mule, bicycle, or even motorcycle (ala Che Guevara) and touring are relatively distant.

Even more problematic are the countries where you could get your head lopped off (or be held hostage for ransom) for showing up at the border. In that respect, the world appears to be more dangerous than it was, say 40-50 years ago. :(

A friend traveled through the Mideast and also to Afghanistan (before the Russian invasion) when locals greeted foreigners with open arms. Sadly, the arms displayed in most of these places are now AK-47's! :eek:

So, if travelling to 100 countries these days mostly means getting on and off an airplane, what is the big deal? :confused:

timfrost and 365RoadWarrior like this.
  12. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think there was just different dangerous places 40 or 50 years ago (think Vietnam, Uganda, Cambodia, Mozambique, Nicaragua....) :eek:

if getting on and off planes is your thing, that is what your trip will entail, there is still more than enough real adventure out in the world if you are after some exploration and thrill seeking :cool:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    365RoadWarrior and Newscience like this.
  13. 365RoadWarrior

Status Points:
    Some time ago, I thought about what it means to have been somewhere...what it would take for me to put a pin in a map.
    1) Two nights spent there - camping, hotel...just not the airport
    2) Three local meals
    3) Two meaningful interactions with local people
    4) Successful restaurant, shopping and transport interactions (1 each)

So I got to 155 countries. There may not be many more, especially since I won't visit a place that doesn't have some interesting, native culture that's accessible to me.

MX, jonspencer and Newscience like this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, the best part of travel to a different country/continent has been the people I've met, and especially the friends I've made, while travelling. That has made the travel especially worthwhile, and for me is much better and far more rewarding than any pictures taken, or country lists completed.

MX, jonspencer and 365RoadWarrior like this.
  15. 365RoadWarrior

Status Points:
    That's it. That's a big part of why I travel alone and by bicycle. I'm engaged in an activity that many other people are also engaged in (especially in the developing world), and I'm "open" and non-threatening. Traveling solo also means I not going to focus on an existing friend, instead of making a new one. And no one will feel like he/she is interrupting.

timfrost, MX and Newscience like this.
  16. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what I fear. I think there are a lot of countries I will never see because I am scared to go to them. Very sad. I'd love to see every corner of the world.

As for the first post... girlfriends telling his to stop the nonsense. Pffft. I'd love to find someone willing to take part in such nonsense. :p

Gargoyle and Newscience like this.
  17. classicalthai

classicalthai New Member

Status Points:
    i guess this is quite a good book to read... i sure hope someday to reach the "100 countries club"!

Gargoyle and Newscience like this.