Around DC: Hillwood Estate, Museum and Gardens Review

Discussion in 'Washington, DC' started by Junca, Feb 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year there was a fun “DO” in DC from the FT gang. Part of that included a trip to Hillwood in NW Washington DC (4155 Linnean Avenue).

http://www.hillwoodmuseum.org/

[​IMG]

Hillwood is the home of Marjorie Merriweather Post – “Heiress, Pioneering Businesswoman, Diplomat, Philanthropist, and Distinguished Collector.” She was the only child of CW Post and became the sole heiress to the Postum Cereal Company and wealthiest women in America at the age of 27, after the passing of both her parents.

Not everyone is into visiting these kind of sites, but the house, gardens and art/artifact collection is really very nice. Ms. Merriweather Post was married to the US Ambassador to Russia (as well as three other men) and lived there in 1937-38; so an interesting collection of Russian works can be seen (albeit these were obtained during Joseph Stalin days, so one can ponder on that). I really enjoyed this as a few years ago I spent a couple of days in Moscow and found it and the Russian arts really interesting.

Below are a few photos of the exterior and gardens. I don’t have any photos of the museum, so I’m assuming we weren’t allowed to take any :}.

If you enjoy old estates and history of the old wealthy in this Country, it is a fine place to visit for ½ a day.

They also have dining venues and Afternoon Tea. At the DO we had a pre-arranged lunch there that I don’t recall well ... it was fine but not memorable. See the website for information on Afternoon Tea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gargoyle and IMGone like this.
  2. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MANY varieties of gorgeous orchids in the greenhouse. These are a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice pictures. ... and this was a great description of lunch "At the DO we had a pre-arranged lunch there that I don’t recall well ... it was fine but not memorable". I think ordering a la carte from the Cafe would yield better/more options, which is what you'd do if not part of a group anyway

I've always considered Hillwood to be a hidden gem as it is off the beaten tourist path, and not that well known. The fact that it has private money supporting it and the property is so well cared for is a bonus. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting or in the area!

gvdIAD and Junca like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points: