Arlanda Express discounts?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by LXJenkins, Mar 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LXJenkins
    Original Member

LXJenkins Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be flying to Stockholm for the first time next week. Are there any known discount codes for the Arlanda Express? Am I better off pre-purchasing tickets or waiting until I get to ARN?

2. LXofSweden
    Original Member

LXofSweden Silver Member

Status Points:
    This might be a bit late but..

The price will be the same regardless if you buy in advance or through one of the kiosk terminals at the airport, but 50 SEK more (USD7.5) if you purchase onboard. There is a discount if you are 26 or under or carry valid student ID. Arlanda Express is a super comfortable way of getting downtown but it's expensive if you don't qualify for the discount. The airport buses offer an alternative way to get into the city at a lower cost. I think it was half the full price of the Arlanda Express ticket, and takes about 35-45 minutes.

deant likes this.
  3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Couple of years ago we went to Stockholm. Used the Arlanda Express and it was great. Purchased a ticket at the kiosk and had absolutely no problems. To us, the extra cost for was well worth it. As LXofSweden said, unless you are a student of under 26 there are no discounts.

LXofSweden likes this.
  4. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    They used to offer twofers from the machine during Swedish holiday and weekend periods, such as during the entire month of July when most of Sweden is on vacation. A few times when that was on offer, I would find a stranger and offer to share a ticket -- an amazingly high percentage of people didn't get the concept but usually I found someone before long, particularly if I was willing to let them have the receipt.

It's also an apparently little-known fact that there is a regular Swedish rail (SJ) station and a number of trains go to/from Stockholm as part of a longer trip. Apparently to protect the Arlanda express monopoly, SJ is not allowed to sell this segment if you embark or disembark at Arlanda. Still, it happens and SJ conductors seemed careful not to check tickets between Stockholm and Arlanda the few times I took the train from Linkoping.

LXofSweden likes this.
  5. LXofSweden
    Original Member

LXofSweden Silver Member

Status Points:
    Holy moly...!

I had no idea there was a regular train station at Arlanda! I definitely have to investigate next time I'm in Sweden.

6. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LXofSweden likes this.
  7. LXofSweden
    Original Member

LXofSweden Silver Member

Status Points:
  8. RichardInSF
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The two times I stayed on the train from Stockholm C to Arlanda, it certainly didn't take anything like 1h10mins -- it was a lot more like 25 mins. I don't even know how it would be possible for a train to take over an hour on that sector!

Remember, I got on in Linkoping originally. The key is, again, they are not supposed to sell just the leg between Stockholm and the airport so it is not surprising that any published fare would be really high.