Argentina: Mendoza, Salta?

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by Pharaoh, May 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    [posted elsewhere but also here for the most expert advice...]

Am currently doing draft planning for a 14-17 day trip to Argentina 1Q12. Due to the limited time we will only visit the northern part of the country. BA, Iguassu, Colonia UR are already on the list and probably take up roughly half the time. For the remaining time I am considering the Mendoza area, Salta area, or maybe even both. I don't think there's enough time to include Cordoba.

We are midrange actives. Enjoy hiking, rafting, horsebacking, wine country, cultural aspects, and mountain terrain. Would love to spend a few days at an estanzia.

Any general recommendations or guidance for the time budget? and for estanzias in the region?

Gaucho likes this.
  2. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi... sorry I just only now caught this.... these forums are still a mess and Argentina still doesnt have its own forum... its hard to keep up. I suggest you voice this in the suggestions area of this Bulletin Board.

Estancias are all over Argentina, so you will have options also in Mendoza and Salta.... just make sure you understand that different estancias in different areas of Argentina will offer different experiences.

I would suggest you use a boutique travel agent to make arrangements.... else, if you want to do things yourself, you may want to check Trip Advisor for some information. Im not much of an Estancia person in Salta and Mendoza since I concentrate on the wine estates there... I can help you with Estancias in the Provincia de Buenos Aires... but thats not much use to you.

If you want guidance on anything wine related... let me know.

Cheers
    Alex

3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW... nice signature line... ;)

4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Mendoza... I suggest you consider the following places for lodging...

Postales del Plata
    Lares de Chacra

You also have the chain hotel options.... but I think these are less interesting unless you get some killer corporate rate. The Hyatt and Sheraton are both in town.... but again, I would suggest you go local with lodging.

6. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for noticing the post! Planning has been taking a back seat to other activities lately but over the weeks there have been many iterations, including a run through the Atacama Desert.

But looks to be settling down to BA(3 days), Colonia(incl), Iguazu(2), Salta(8), Mendoza(2) and Santiago(1).

I've found a couple of top prospect estanzias near Salta (for 2 days of horseback riding) and an excellent source of car/driver for as many as 6 or 7 days of land touring through that entire region. And two good B&B prospects for the area, too. Now the problem is we are running up against my wife's maximum time away from home. So if you please, a couple of timing questions.

First, would we whip outselves if we skipped Iguassu Falls? Second, for "average" sightseeing in BA (no estanzias or wineries but including a day in Colonia) would 3 days be sufficient or should be allow 4? (I know it's way too short but the northwest is calling us...!).

Departure via Santiago seems to make sense as there is a bus from Mendoza and it would give us a glimpse of that city so when we return to go really far south we won't have to count on a lot of time there (unless something really strikes our fancy).

7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Falls are great.... I say stay in Iguazu only 1 night and let the rest of your schedule be less hectic.... I see you have a (2) next to Iguazu... am I reading this correctly...?

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Forgot to add... three days in Buenos Aires is going to be ok... perhaps a little tight, but you will still get in the basic stuff.

9. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, 2 days (1 night) is correct given how difficult it is to correlate days with travel. First day is flight in the morning then seeing the falls in the afternoon; second day is morning flight to Salta. I guess I could have said 1 day there and add 1 to Salta.....

Is the Sheraton (IIR it's the one AT the falls) worth the extra expense, with a falls-view room?

Gaucho likes this.
  10. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, this is reassuring.I haven't gotten to check out your other hotel recs yet, but do like where you are headed: we also generally prefer the local, nonchain, hotels du charme but not the expensive ones. Have found some relatively unpublished gems around the world that way. Any suggestions for BA (where we would prefer to be within walking distance of restaurants, tango places, the good stuff...)?

[The place I'm looking at in Salta is Poncho Huasi.]

Gaucho likes this.
  11. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say yes, go with the Sheraton...

12. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Done. (At least it's in the plan.) Will do one night in Iguazu at the Sheraton (it really does provide a LOT of flexibility in wandering around) and then on to Salta the next morning.

What area/neighborhood of SA would we want to be in? Best walking, typico dining, one of those tango lounges, etc.?

Gaucho likes this.
  13. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    SA...? You mean Salta...?

14. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! Terrible typo. That was supposed to be BA as in Buenos Aires. Can I blame it on the iPad?

Gaucho likes this.
  15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a Buenos Aires location... I suggest you stick to Palermo, Recoleta, Puerto Madero or Belgrano.

16. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very informative. I'm bookmarking this thread for my upcoming trip in the spring.

SC Flier and Gaucho like this.
  17. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    The dates I was interested in, the Hyatt was accepting the lowest ($109)-priced Hyatt stay certificates.

icurhere2 and Gaucho like this.
  18. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked the Sheraton, and they were offering a Cash and Points option for my spring dates.

SC Flier and Gaucho like this.
  19. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chain hotels..... ah, unless you guys need the stay credit, Mendoza and Salta have so many non chain options that are great experiences that it would be a shame to stay at another Sheraton, Hyatt or whatever chain.....

20. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll second that, and haven't even visited yet!

The only time I ever stay in a chain is domestic US travel when a boutique or other unique place isn't possible or would be a waste (I'll waste time in a chain).

Gaucho likes this.
  21. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some places to consider in Mendoza...

Lares de Chacra
    Postales del Plata

22. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally got the trip booked. Interesting hotels booked are the Miravida Soho in Buenos Aires and the Villaggio Hotel in Mendoza. Went with Carpe Diem in Salta. Unfortunately, the Sheraton in Iguazu was fully booked so sucked it up and will be at the Amerian Portal for the one night there.

The only chain hotel is the Intercon Santiago for the last two nights; using a free night and points so I don't feel so bad.

Skye1 and Gaucho like this.
  23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great.... do report on how things go when you get a chance !!!

24. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does your booking with American Portal/Iguazu allow cancellations? Up until when? I'd keep a close eye on Sheraton Iguazu, as it's location within the park just can't be beat. I'd call right up to the day of (if you're current res. allows same day cancellations).

Gaucho likes this.
  25. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they allow cancellations. Problem is the Sheraton has a minimum stay requirement over the Easter weekend.

Gaucho likes this.