aren't you happy you quit flying united

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ahappyelite, Dec 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey folks, been a while. A lot of time has passed since I have darkened the cabin door of a UAL flight. Fly other airlines, drive, AMTRAK or don't travel at all. It's especially poignant when you hear a new Jeff Smisek lie and think, "Doesn't affect me."
    Happy New Year. My next twelve months of travel involve no UAL flights.

MX and ballardFlyer like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP. :)

I don't think I have ever flown on United, so I can't comment. Thanks for the holiday wishes.

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    To each their own. I'm a US flyer, matched over to AA as well and doubling down on oneworld next year. US keeping some star partners (EVA, Air China, etc) helps me. Haven't done a paid flight on United for a while, burnt some miles recently (delays, a nasty burger and older equipment). Have 1 very short and cheap hop booked on UA next year, but all my paid J travel is going elsewhere.

KENNECTED likes this.
  4. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did a status match to Delta last year. The miles are less valuable but the other benefits and quality of service are significantly better. I was once a lifer with United but no longer - sayonara United.

5. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a UA fan per se, but the airline really helped me hit Gold with US this year, so I'm not going to throw too much grief their way (and I predict I'm going to miss being able to make tactical use of them in the future).

adrianors likes this.
  6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    This MM (been so for about a decade) hasn't set foot on a UA plane for 26 months. It is sort of sad, but the UA I miss isn't the UA I stopped flying (even pre-merger).

flyforawg and ballardFlyer like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I am based in the Bay Area not far from SFO, United has often the most convenient flights. I recently reached MM status, so I no longer have status acquisition pressure and can focus more on burning miles. Being a free agent is a good thing :)

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm rather sad not to be flying UA after 1.1 million miles on UA metal going back to 1992, but they drove me to it when they devalued the million miler status I worked so long for. If they restored those benefits today I would put some miles on UA and see how the experience is now. UA can make that happen very easily but I don't see it happening. Just more miles on AA and its partners instead.

I am still burning off UA miles and have a MAD-VIE-MAD next month on Lufthansa. Could have booked with AA miles but with the UA increase on flights within Europe seemed a good time to use them. That particular award jumps from 25K to 30K.

Bay Pisco Shark and estnet like this.
  9. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just made my swan song call this afternoon. I say that completely aware of "one never knows what the future holds" and I could end up on a UA plane again, even someday soon, but today I redeemed my last 200K miles. I have about 3K left in the bank. It looks strange. I was able to redeem 2 LH C for next summer, something a great agent could find that the website could not. This same trip would have cost 280K miles very soon. I gladly paid the phone booking fee, because as a MM flyer, I am subject to this, and many fees these days.

10. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was a fan of UA for 30 years. Sad they are no longer competitive. I recommend Delta - except for useless miles the benefits and service are much superior.

flyforawg and Flyer1976 like this.
  11. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like UA, and will use their one way for the best route.

Paying double AA sure hurts, but the UA miles are easier to get.

UA is over priced for the market, but hey glad they are there...

They have some nice people,

You can price yourself out of the market,