Are Your Miles Getting More Valuable Over Time?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Feb 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    During the week Quartz ran a story with a rather curious headline -- "The simple reason why your airline points always get more valuable." Now, I don't think there's anyone that likes miles & points more than I do, but I have an "earn & burn" philosophy. Never think of miles as a long term investment. Instead earn them as quickly as you can and then redeem them as quickly as you can. Personally my approach is to never have more miles in an account than I can reasonably redeem within six months. That's why I like to diversify my miles as much as possible. Can points get more valuable over time? Short term, yes. For example, sometimes an airline announces a new partnership which opens up a great redemption opportunity. For example, when Alaska Mileage Plan miles became redeemable on Emirates, I'd say that increased the value of those miles short term (go figure they're having issues now). That being said, long term the value of a particular points currency almost invariably goes down (fortunately it also usually becomes easier to earn points over time, which sort of balances things out for the earner and burner). The post Are Your Miles Getting More Valuable Over Time? appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...