Are you your friends'/family's [frequent flyer miles] expert?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Mrs. Fredd, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mrs. Fredd
    Original Member

Mrs. Fredd Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm the go-to travel advisor for my friends and family. Are you?

It's usually fun, I enjoy helping out, and I've never had any major problems, although I worry that someday I'll make a mistake. I do have to deal with with unrealistic expectations sometimes, especially with points.

For example, our son's best friend just e-mailed me for advice about a planned trip to Australia in the fall. Along with his questions (buy now or later, sightseeing, etc.), he mentions he has 60,000 miles in his UA account, his wife has 30,000 miles in her CO account, and he'd like either to upgrade them and their young son, or failing that, buy one ticket with miles.

I wonder if others get the same kind of question, perhaps because friends think we upgrade simply due to knowing clever tricks rather than mainly BIS.

2. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I am. My husband's co-workers consistently ask for help arranging flights, getting the best rates at hotels, you name it.

It doesn't happen often enough to be a real pain but I am mindful of the character of the people who ask. I won't assist if there is a chance they will blame me if something goes wrong on their trip [​IMG]

agape2travel likes this.
  3. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do get calls like this -- they don't realize I know some about the programs I use, and little about others. But I find the best way is to tell them general advice and guidelines -- for example, many don't ever join the rewards programs for hotels and airlines because they are unaware of them or can't see the potential for them. I may mention the online blogs and sites if they are up for that. I think I disappoint them sometimes, in that I can't work magic for their trip, but I've also had some thanks from a few, for even the basics that I share with them.

agape2travel and travelfree like this.
  4. travelfree
    Original Member

travelfree Silver Member

Status Points:
    I handle all of my immediate family's travel. However I only advise friends and relatives regarding their travel planning, mainly due to everyone's unique travel preferences, time, money and points availability.

Now if I happen to offer free travel or accommodations, I can usually get someone's full attention.[​IMG]

travelingmore likes this.
  5. studio76
    Original Member

studio76 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, but only for immediate family or it gets a bit tedious (some friends are sooo cheap) - and only for flights. Hotels are too personal so I refuse to get involved.

Exit Row likes this.
  6. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1

7. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    coworkers, friends, relatives. from routing to FFP questions such as which airline and which ffp to credit the flights to. I don't mind doing that at all, it's kind of fun. I have been told I should start my own travel agency :p

agape2travel likes this.
  8. I got most of my family to sign up for the SPG card and now 12 of us are taking a family vacation to Hawaii in November. We're all flying free.

mrpickles and ken7 like this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm the guy that reams 'em out when they tell me they got a decent travel deal that actually blows. [​IMG]

studio76 likes this.
  10. longjourney

longjourney Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to do it for more people but got tired of helping out people, only to have them not book a trip I found or do it their way: ie not the right way [​IMG] Those people I no longer assist. Some family members I no longer assist.

sobore, wish I had your, uhm, bravado[​IMG]

AmericanGirl likes this.
  11. longjourney

longjourney Silver Member

Status Points:
    *1 on the hotels, ESPECIALLY when doing something like Priceline. FAGIDDABOUDIT

12. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why just the other day....... [​IMG] [​IMG]

SC Flier and airshadow like this.
  13. Definitely the go-to guy for all my friends and family. Course they don't always heed my great advice

14. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've created more than a few addicts with the simple leading question "you're getting miles out of it, right?"

Travelgirl, Fredd and travelingmore like this.
  15. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Resident lawyer, accountant, business advisor, tax preparer and travel agent for the extended family.

16. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure that I am my own self's expert [​IMG]

travelingmore likes this.
  17. Omar's_Coming
    Original Member

Omar's_Coming Silver Member

Status Points:
    miles and points wise i am, for those who listen. i'd say half of my friends/co-workers won't believe whats really available in terms of free travel. they are convinced that i'm doing something illegal or that its a scam that i'll pay for in the end

18. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm definitely the travel guru for friends and family, though I offer my services more often than I'm taken up on the offer. I guess they don't realize how much I enjoy it, lol.

Gargoyle likes this.
  19. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am. Fortunately not many of them have twigged to the fact that you can fly nonstop SEA-LHR, rather than taking the typical SEA-DFW-ORD-MIA-LHR route that I prescribe for them. [​IMG]

20. Frozentech
    Original Member

Frozentech Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm definitely the family travel planner, flights, hotel, rental car arranger, as well as direction finder. Heck I even help family members navigate cities I've seen.

Gargoyle likes this.
  21. Frozentech
    Original Member

Frozentech Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gardyloo, I LOVE your avatar pic. I've flown in that very aircraft numerous times between Anchorage and Adak. I miss Reeve.

22. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tell me if this sounds familiar: you are not only your friends and family go-to person for all travel, including their constantly asking for you to sell them miles, hold reservations, etc., but often, sometimes in the same breath, they mock you for being so travel obsessed!

Tenmoc, dwhotz and Gargoyle like this.
  23. MissBurrill
    Original Member

MissBurrill Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Asked all the time. I apparently have a weird knowledge of all sorts of things travel and airline.

Gargoyle likes this.
  24. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its really funny to see / hear people's suspicion. I don't think it was until I had 1 million miles and lots of pictures from my travels that people started to realize this is legit. It even took quite a while to get my parents on board, and even now they are just barely getting their feet wet.

Omar's_Coming and studio76 like this.
  25. studio76
    Original Member

studio76 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once I made them book a specific routing and upgraded them the entire journey (an a domestic trip into longhaul J seats), they stopped questioning...