Answered: Are you sure you want to like this post?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Dec 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems there is a new "feature" that prompts me to confirm every time I click on "Like" that I really am sure I want to like that post.

Can't say that I like that "second-guessing"... It will keep me from clicking "like" to save the extra click/tap.

2. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not for me.....I just liked you and no message.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's gone for me right now when I liked this message of yours.

AUSsie, rwoman and miles and smiles like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it a pop-up or a new page? When I'm browsing the site without javascript enabled I get a second page with that prompt.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's a second page. It was on my iPad... and I have used the iPad "forever" to access MilePoint. And liked probably thousands of posts. Never saw it before this morning. And my second "it's gone now" post was from the iPad as well, a couple hours later.

So just to test this, I disabled JavaScript in my secondary browser on the laptop I am using right now. And indeed the page appeared just as it did on the iPad when I tried to like your post:

LikeThisPost.png

So... not sure if Safari on the iPad temporarily decided to disable JavaScript (I'd have expected problems with other sites) or if something caused this.

rwoman and Wandering Aramean like this.
  6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    No new features here and the tech guys have all been on holiday vacation for the past ten days so we certainly have not changed anything. As well, I just liked the post with no pop up using iPad mini w/ Safari.

MSPeconomist, youpaiyou and rwoman like this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was able to like some posts earlier today with no problem. I'm using an ipad2 (thank you Randy) but not the MP app.

ADDED. I just liked Randy giving the HOM staff a nice holiday. No problem!

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got the "are you sure" prompt earlier today working on my regular computer where I nearly never get it. I think it was latency/bandwidth related given that I'm posting in Laos on rather sketchy connections but I'm not certain. Either way, it is definitely caused by the javascript not fully loading or not being supported.

mattsteg and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure the site isn't just tracking what you like and questioning your judgment? :-$

unavaca and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  10. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is just a security measure to make it harder to inflate your like count. With javascript, there is a mechanism to make sure you actually click the like button (relying on some browser assumptions that a page can't programmatically manipulate an embedded page from a different domain). Without this, you can just create a page with a number of iframes pointing to these like pages - someone opening this webpage, while logged in to milepoint, would in turn lead you to perform all of these embedded likes (at least if there wasn't required confirmation).

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.