Are you more likely to get approved if you received a targeted offer in snail mail?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by TWA44, Feb 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello,

I am new to the miles and points game and did a small app-o-rama in late November. I am getting organized to do a bigger one in a week or so, once 91 days have passed. I have been saving snail mail offers from airlines, hotels and banks , some of which have 12 or 16 digit "special invitation numbers." I have a few questions:

1) Am I more likely to get approved if I use the special number? Or should I follow a link, perhaps from a favorite blogger, so they get the credit, if I am as likely to be approved that way?

2) I saw a tweet from a miles and points blogger asking for a code for a particular card. ("Anyone have a code for a 100K AmEx Platinum?" Answer was: "are you 365 days since your last Plat? do you still need the link/code?") When I tweeted her, she said that the codes are not identified with a particular person - so that I could for example apply using a code my husband received. I at first thought she was referring to the 12 or 16 digit special invitation numbers I mention above. But was she referring to a promo code or URL, not the special invitation number?

Can someone explain targeted offers, which may have specific invitation numbers, promo codes and/or URLs, in more than 140 characters?! I'd like to use whatever will make it most likely for me to get approved.

Thanks!

tommy777 likes this.
  2. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Some of the pre-approved offers require you to use the special number to receive the offer. Be sure and read the specific fine print. If your pre-approved offer does not require you to use the special number to receive the offer then use your favorite blogger's link.

2. AMEX sends out codes for offers, similar to special invitation numbers. You need the code to receive the offer.

The best way to ensure that you get approved is to:
    a) pay your credit card bills on time and in full
    b) keep your use on each card to less than 30% each month

3. TWA44

TWA44 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, WRXMom!