Are you listening United: Qantas notified elites of upgrades via SMS Texts

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by VVanderlust, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. VVanderlust

VVanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry header should say: Qantas Notfies Elites...

Source: http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-frequent-flyer-upgrades-gold-platinum-one
    New technology to be introduced later this year will see Qantas Frequent Flyer members of any status level sent an SMS alert well before their flight advising that their upgrade has come through, rather than when they arrive at the airport to check in for their flight.
    “At the moment you might be confirmed for an upgrade but unless you go online before the flight, you might not know until you get to the airport” says Stephanie Tully, Head of Airline Loyalty for Qantas.
    “But customers shouldn’t have to do that. We want to be proactive in letting customers know, so we're going to let everyone from Bronze to Platinum One know by SMS prior.”
    “It means you can think about your baggage allowance, your time in the lounge and the whole experience, rather than just finding out at check-in after you’ve stood in the economy queue” Tully tells Australian Business Traveller.
    Travellers with top-tier Platinum and Platinum One status will get the best deal of all. The new upgrades system will provide several days advance notice of upgrades and can also assign upgrades shortly before a flight departs if a seat becomes available due to ‘no-shows’ at the airport and missed inbound domestic connections.

FlyingFree likes this.
  2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Humor me as I'm old and having a bald moment ;) but doesn't EasyUpdate (sort of) do this (when it works of course :rolleyes:) as I have mine set up for text notices :confused:

3. Stephen
    Original Member

Stephen Gold Member

Status Points:
    use email to sms service your provider offers (is in US most offer this!)

I personally don't want SMS from an airline, EVER. I like email, and get mail on phone.

4. Tarpie
    Original Member

Tarpie Silver Member

Status Points:
    I [usually] get an e-mail and text for upgrades and flight delays.

5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mie is set up for email notification, but it has not been working. Last 4-5 flights I have not received confirmation of upgrades. I'd welcome SMS at this point!

theBOAT

6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Put me down as another SMS hater.

I have a d@mn smartphone for a reason. Just make the e-mail system work and I'm fine. No need to add another channel until they get the ones they supposedly have now to actually work.

7. VVanderlust

Status Points:
    True that Easy Alerts emails you (sometime as pointed out). But a SMS text is passive and you don't have to do anything.

Would be nice to see the upgrade alert on the front of my phone (I have an iPhone) while I am sitting in the lounge, driving to the airport or walking around.

Saves me from a stop at the gate to check the gate display monitor (if I am at airport that has them) or checking my e-mail for the upgrade notification.

This is especially true for me on UDUs.

On a side note- PMCO website shows the upgrade list on their website up to two days in advance(under flight status) - way cool and I hope that this is kept after they migrate the two sites.

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you contacted United about your feelings?

9. VVanderlust

Status Points:
    Dear United,

I am an idiot. I posted this without first checking my profile and now I do see that I am able to set the alerts to text me.

Sincerely,
    VVanderlust

10. hungarianhc
    Original Member

hungarianhc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the same boat. Please NO on the SMS. I'd be happy to take an e-mail alert.

11. i set mine up to get email and text messages for different things you can also set it for different time zones.

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, when I travel UA my inbox is littered with such emails. Not sure what the OP is getting at?

13. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    See a few posts up-thread-the OP hadn't checked their profile to see that they could set it up for SMS notices but is now happy