Are you going to spend your CO miles or transfer to United?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by montacute, Mar 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. montacute
    Original Member

montacute Silver Member

Status Points:
    My husband and I each have about 55k miles and get a few thousand more a month from credit cards.

Would you be looking to cash out your miles soon, or just wait and transfer them to United after the merger? Is one program better than the other for mileage redemption?

We are in DC and mostly travel to Europe.

Thanks!

2. aanswer

aanswer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Personally I'm holding my miles in CO. No reason to move them just yet.

3. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just transfered a chunk of UA miles to CO so that I could book an award that included VS and used the CO routing rules.

I think the wise money overall (regardless of program-specific rules) is that if you have miles and a trip you want to take, burn them. It's not like they earn interest and devaluation is common.

Gtitan and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    CO miles are easier to use, since they do not do Starnet blocking. UA does Starnet blocking, which basically means that they block certain award seats which other *A carriers make available for award redemption.

5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I have a "newly minted status match" Co Platinum account with zero miles but where I can now use my E-rewards gelt to earn CO miles, I'm go do that and then transfer them to my UA account (and if not enough to do a transfer, I'll let it happen automatically when the accounts are merged)

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is key.

I rarely am in the hording state. The point of having the miles is to use them. The large balance may look pretty next to your name but the whole goal is to get value from the investment and sitting on a balance doesn't do that. If you want to travel to Europe and do it in Y then wait until June 15 to redeem as the cost of that award goes down. Of course, so does potential award inventory so that plan might backfire.

There are quirks and nuance between the two programs but it is not reasonable to say that one is definitively better or worse for redemption at this point IMO.

7. Renard
    Original Member

Renard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Starnet blocking? Recent evidence seems to indicate that UA has ended this practice.

tjtenor4 likes this.
  8. tjtenor4
    Original Member

tjtenor4 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What he said. *Net blocking has gone the way of the tulip in this merger.

Also, the blanket statement that "CO miles are easier to use" is borderline farcical. UA miles can presently be used on one-way awards on any Star Alliance metal (CO will be able to in a few months, but cannot at present). A mere 10k UA miles can presently be used to upgrade intra-Asia flights (including those longer than any USA transcon) on bottom-bucket fares. It takes fewer UA miles than CO miles for certain awards, due to differences in regional definitions between UA and CO.

I'm not throwing my weight behind a statement of "UA miles are easier to use," but I would not at all agree that "CO miles are easier to use." Or, put more aptly:

What he said.

9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have enough to use at the moment. I burned 30K of them for an intra-S. Asia C trip with an EK segment. :D Leaves me with about 11K and change.

Once I get to 15K, though, I may burn them just to see what life is like on the p.s. side of the fence.

I also agree that hoarding miles isn't useful. I admit to hoarding AS miles for a while, but I want to take my daughter to Paris in J (200,000 miles on AF, only slightly less if by some stroke of luck I find DL J). I also keep a medium-sized stash of US miles handy in case they decide it's time to do a 1 CPM double share miles promo, at which point I'll need to figure out what to burn a larger stash of US miles on. :D

Doesn't Y go from 55K to 60? I thought it was C going from 105K to 100.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah....my bad.

11. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm wating to see if there will be a bonus for transferring, similar to what happened with the NWA-Delta merger.

12. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, however, you can still mix and match partners with CO miles... Fly on LH on the outbound and TG on the return or whatever... CO miles will be nearly worthless if we couldn't do that :p

Nonetheless, I am glad that one way awards are coming to CO in a few months... This will give me greater flexibility to book multiple one way awards with my CO miles and BD miles ;)

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    if you have status and presently fly on both carriers rather than only one this is probably an unwise decision. Holding out for 1000 points versus having the proper status on both isn't worth it.

Golfingboy and tjtenor4 like this.
  14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Most programs let you mix and match alliance partners. UA does as well. Where CO is different is that you can have CM, VS, EK or other non-alliance partners in a single award. If you wanted to fly on EK your only option with UA points is the book EK-only to DXB. If you want to do JFK-LHR-DXB with VS and EK you cannot.

Mix-and-match on class of service in each direction is a nice benefit that CO offers as well.

I'd say worthless is quite a stretch.

15. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :p Over-exaggeration on my part no doubt ;)

However, it would be incredibly difficult to redeem awards in the premium cabin if we were not allowed to mix and match CO partners since CO is pretty stingy with BF award space... That alone would have definitely driven down the value of Onepass miles significantly, but nowhere near SkyPesos :D

16. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I keep spending my CO miles in 15,000 increments......and CO keeps returning them to me as "compensation" for sitting in the back. :(

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do not believe this statement is true at all.

Yes, I've used VS where it suits me for TATL travel but saying that it would be "incredibly difficult" without that is just more hyperbole that doesn't do much to benefit anything. Is CO metal C award space hard to find? I guess so. But there are lots of partners - *A and otherwise - that make it possible to get what you want most of the time.

18. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't mean just because of VS and EK it makes it whole lot easier... I meant that mixing and matching all of CO's partners makes it easier... Lets say I want to find space on LAX-BKK and TG has J availability on the outbound, but not the return, however ANA has availability on the return. To make the award possible, I would mix and match TG and NH on one award.. If we were limited to one carrier it would be much more difficult...

Sorry if I wasn't being clear, I need to fix how I use "and" in a sentence...

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on this point, but as they are both *A partners mixing them isn't something unique to CO's program. BA has a different schedule for a single partner award that can change the miles required dramatically but that's not something I've seen in *A.

20. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I started linking and transferring miles for all the family accounts only to keep it all organized. If I need CO miles for some reason, I can just transfer them back