Are you an adventurous eater?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by UsingMiles, Jul 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. UsingMiles

UsingMiles Z Representative

Status Points:
    Andrew Zimmern has eaten some "BIZARRE" foods throughout his travels. What's the craziest thing you have eaten during YOUR travels?

[​IMG]

Sweet Willie, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I keep to fresh pasta, red mullet fillets, French toast, the wiener schnitzel, yakitori chicken and smoothies or freshly squeezed water melon juice. Let Mr. Zimmern make the headlines for more unusual stuff.:)

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on what is on the plate.......

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Grasshoppers in Chad.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    .....you choose!:D

UsingMiles and jbcarioca like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope it was a good meal.:cool:

UsingMiles, jbcarioca and Sedosi like this.
  7. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    fried and crunchy....

YULtide, UsingMiles, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  8. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've eaten tacos in Ciudad Juarez that were mystery meat (probably goat after tasting). Cheap as hell but good though. Conch fritters in Port of Spain, menudo when hungover, little fish that I couldn't pronounce in Spain (tasted like anchovies)

Probably the most dangerous thing that I ever ate was the USAirways international coach meal while heading to London. Still not entirely sure what that was.

9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was going to post economy food on airlines....you beat me to it.

YULtide, UsingMiles, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have eaten everything that was being served where ever I have gone, at least once. I did not during my five years as a vegan. The oddest ones were fried scorpion and fried beetles (both in rural Laos), and odd animal parts in many places around the world. I don't count snake, iguana or other lizards because they really don't taste too strange. By far the worst taste in food I have ever had is haggis which explains why Scotch is such a good and necessary thing.

To Sedosi's cogent last point I recall breakfast on Yemenia, allegedly eggs but I'm certain no chicken was ever involved.

11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

12. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a vegetarian, and most carnivores think that is unusual enough ! :confused:

13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to think that adventurous means getting off the path of where & what one normally eats.

Unfortunately most folks just don't have an adventurous eating impulse, not even a bit. I used to work for a big food manufacturer, when the National Restaurant Show would be here in Chicago I'd suggest something as 'crazy' as to visit some of the ethnic eateries/restaurants, every single time the response was to say no & go to a steakhouse or lame Italian restaurant. I was always amazed by this, people in the food industry but with no interest outside what was mainstream.

I'm not like Zimmern in the fact that I don't specifically plan to order unusual items. (for instance, I didn't go to a Mexican street market to try chapulines (grasshoppers) but they were there so I tried them). I do find myself always looking for the spice, ingredient &/or preparation of something that I haven't had before.

Although I don't consider it that bizarre, eating live octopus legs in Seoul was interesting in that one had better chew completely or else the leg piece might decide to latch on somewhere down the pipe :)

ella, UsingMiles and jbcarioca like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    As usual, Willie, your post is well-reasoned, articulate and expresses my views precisely. Much of the exotica I have tried i need to try again. How would i have ever known that I really like rabbit, mundane as that is, without trying it? How would I have understood how delightfully subtle is the flavor of durian if I had not armed myself against the odor and tried it. I do not especially want to have the various insects, snakes and largish mammals that I've tried become part fo my regular diet, but I am pleased to have had the experience.

Now, in honor of your post i'm off to have a pastis and a few octopus legs that i bought at the fish market today.

UsingMiles and Sweet Willie like this.
  15. bananajax

bananajax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Grilled Whale while in Japan.

Before getting any flak, you can acquire it legally certain times of the year for various cultural celebrations, in this case it was during new years. It was part of a wonderful celebration honoring the villagers of the past who would go whale hunting, also the song sung the praises of the whale whos sacrifice allowed them to survive. It was quite an honor to hear a song that might not survive much longer.

Sweet Willie and jbcarioca like this.