Are you a "Rising Star" to your FFP of choice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Wandering Aramean, Apr 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

?

What category do you fall in?

1. Cheap Hater

9.5%
  2. Cheap Lover

52.4%
  3. Rising Star

33.3%
  4. High Yield Hater

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. High Yield Lover

4.8%
  1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In some of my reading this past week I came across an interesting article about the different passenger types as they relate to the loyalty programs. Basically it splits the population on two axes, yield and satisfaction with the product. It then describes the various folks who fit in the four corners, including splitting some of them a bit.

There are two very poignant conclusions I took out of reading it:
    1. Truly high value customers don't care much about the points; and,
    2. There are a number of low value customers who are worth ignoring, regardless of how loud they complain.
    Some more thoughts on the different types of frequent flyers and the graphic they produced are here.

So which type are you??

jbcarioca, TheBeerHunter and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Low value, High value, a human being!:)

jbcarioca and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I'm a "cheap lover" :D . I generally pick the lowest price flights, since I'm always paying for my own fare, but I'm loyal to and I talk up my favorite airlines and programs to friends and family.

kenbo, uggboy, LizzyDragon84 and 4 others like this.
  4. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm one, and soon I'll be the other. Don't pee me off!

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  5. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am definitely a cheap lover. And, I don't "cheat" with the competition, either. That should be somewhere on that axis...

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another idiotic typology invented by people who do not understand how the world works. Worthless, IMO.

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glaring omission among the choices:
    • None of the above.
    So, I tend to agree with "jb" right above ....psychobabble.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Really? What is it missing?

Dismissing something out of hand and no commentary as to why doesn't seem to offer much to the conversation.

I don't think it is necessarily comprehensive, but it does cover a large number of the customers and how they behave vis a vis the loyalty marketing programs.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's clear that United considered me a rising star when I wrote Smisek, and their response did earn my loyalty.

I'm definitely cheap, but not at the expense of service or opportunity.

k2o and SEABrad like this.
  10. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, yeah, sure. But, didn't it get you thinking about how you're treated by airlines and hotels? Did it make you ponder about your own behavior and whether it is getting the sort of response you hoped for?

The problem with these sorts of typologies is that somewhat-clueless managers and employees use them as shortcuts to understanding their customers needs and frustrations. Dismissing complaints, because someone isn't perceived to be sufficiently profitable, is bad business. Sure, its the 10 percent that take 90 percent of your time. But, those annoying buggers might be the son, spouse, or pet of someone important!

In this day of social media, where everybody talks/blogs/tweets ALL the time I don't think you can afford to ignore what someone is saying. Besides, they might be offering you free information and feedback about your product and service. You may not be able to, or choose not, to prioritize fixing the problems they point out. But, wouldn't you still take notice of what they said?

11. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you read the article a little more closely, I think you're taking the 'ignore them' comment completely out of context, and it pretty squarely addresses the fact that serial complainers are often on social media. There's also a difference between a serial complainer and an occasional complainer - serial complainer is one who even if you served filet mignon in coach free to all passengers would diss you for not having A1 sauce available. Complaints from folks with legitimate service issues should be addressed (and probably people who are closely related to or affiliated with high yield passengers or rising stars would not be marked as serial complainers). Think about a person who would go on board a flight, and intentionally break off a headphone plug in the jack in the seat and then ask for a travel voucher - that's the type of customer that should be "fired".

The article says pretty much "don't incent the serial complainers" - don't give them double bonus miles, don't give them discounted fares, don't give them money to fly your airline, so that you change the subject of what they're complaining about on twitter/blogs/whatever. Instead of complaining about your potato au jus being dry, they'll complain that they can't afford to fly your airline.

desamo and Wandering Aramean like this.
  12. SEABrad

SEABrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a lover - and a cheap one at that. Sometimes I like to play rising star but it's only on Redeye flights!

13. rizwank

rizwank Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love that you shared this. =)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  14. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went with Rising Star. It's a tough one. Most of the time I'll stick with US and whatever is cheapest. But if I think the upgrade will be tough I have no problem spending for first or burning miles to guarantee first. I'd say that's definitely a rising star. Maybe someday I'll buy first all the time.

15. United Connection

United Connection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting article, and this gets to a point many of us have been making all along. The Smisek strategy of building your FF program around catering to high-value transactions is a fruitless endeavor given the inelastic nature of demand in that segment of flyers.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that's the point it is making at all. It certainly suggests that those are the customers for whom just throwing miles at them isn't likely to be the reward they're after, not that it is fruitless to cater to them. They way in which the company deals with the different groups necessarily must be different based on their motivations, not that the high yield customers should be ignored.