Are you a hoarder of miles and points?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by b1513, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I admit, I am. I'm not sure why but I like seeing them pile up. Within the last few months I did use about 150K hotel points but it killed me to see them going out of my account.

2. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not any more. The constant devaluation tells me to use them before they "enhance" the program again.... and again...

[​IMG]

3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't call myself a hoarder, but I do keep them for a real good deal and I do hate to give them back ;)

4. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a hoarder, however our points pool seems to be growing rapidly. WE have them roped off for some specific trips, just struggling to find time to take those trips.

b1513 likes this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but trying to reduce.

travelingmore and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Earn and burn. Miles devalue too fast to keep them for long.

7. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a lot, I use a lot, but try to never be without some, in some accounts.

travelfree likes this.
  8. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't fly enough to be a hoarder, but even if I did, having to redeem for two empties the account pretty quickly[​IMG]

b1513 likes this.
  9. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Redeeming for a family of 5 can eat through some miles very rapidly. I am not a hoarder, it seems I can never catch up before the kids want to take another trip.

10. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spend them all as soon as they are earned.

11. giggs
    Original Member

giggs Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have that problem, it is always painful to redeem them, unless it is for excellent value, or something that makes me feel good.

I'm hoarding my AS miles right now as I would like to go over 1,000,000 in the account, take a screen shot, then book all the trips I have planned to bring it back to a more reasonable level.

Andyandy and Clocktower like this.
  12. flunky
    Original Member

flunky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had over million NW miles, but after seeing the writing on the wall with DL taking over. I spent as fast as I could.
    Now I spend them as soon as I have enough for the trip I want.
    Seen to many good uses for miles disappear thinking I will do that in the future only to have that award eliminated.

kiwi likes this.
  13. FlyingFree
    Original Member

FlyingFree Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to hoard a bit, but now agree with most of you that they devalue too fast....so I try to take one major trip per year on miles and points...I know that's not ambitious by most of your standards, and I wish I could do more, but my reason for collecting miles is to see and do things I could never afford unless I got them for 'free.' An annual trip to a great place meets that criteria, and even with air and hotel mostly or entirely free, is all I can afford...

kiwi, savydog and taiwaned like this.
  14. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely not. I have enough for 5 overseas J[/F] awards across all three alliances, four domestic awards on WN (RR1), 18 high-end room nights across three chains, and four days of luxury SUV rental from National. That's enough to keep me and various companions amused for 24 months. It's about 20% more than I'd typically like to have, but I know that 2011 will be a low earning year on the legacies as I'm concentrating on domestic travel for a variety of reasons.

I set an accrual limit for each program, and after that limit I discount the value of additional points by about 40%. That usually makes it pretty easy for me to redeem points, especially hotel points since a lot of my domestic leisure travel is Thu-Mon four day weekends.

15. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I am a bit of a hoarder.

I use points for things that I can't feel justified in spending or something that will enhance my vacation. If I have to go to a city for work, staying at the four points is good enough and I collect points. If I go back to the same vicinity for pleasure, we stay at the W on points.

travelingmore likes this.
  16. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with this philosophy.

Travelgirl likes this.
  17. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotel points get burned as quickly as I earn them. Miles, though I only use for upgrades generally, so I have a good amount in my account right now.

18. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Of course I am a horder.

I am still building the FL-IRA. Is there some sort of penalty that applies if we don't start using them at 70 1/2 years of age? :D

19. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    My policy is to spend them all. With the money you save you should have some cash laying around if you need to have a trip and have no points left. My best spend to date was 118K with Kris Flyer - Brisbane to Beijing Return (F class Singapore - Beijing - Singapore) (J Class Brisbane - Singapore - Brisbane) when they had a 25% off promotion. Cost me about $500 in fuel and airport taxes. I even got into the private room lounge in Singapore but Mick Jagger wasn't flying that day [​IMG]

Travelgirl and Chimpy like this.
  20. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    Net -50,000 YTD. I still have balances good for a few domestic roundtrips but had an unsettling feeling when I pressed redeem.

kayet, The Boat and travelingmore like this.
  21. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hoarding is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

I know people who would be thrilled to have 50,000 miles.
    Obviously, there are folks here who have millions and want more.

Same thing is true with $$

My motto - be happy with whatever you have

PAinNY, Travelgirl, The Boat and 4 others like this.
  22. Bizi
    Original Member

Bizi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reminder to burn those miles. :)

DC especially, although not panicking yet...

kiwi and travelingmore like this.
  23. BobbyOrr
    Original Member

BobbyOrr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got to admit I am a hoarder of airline miles but I do it out of a morbid necessity. Wife, kids and I are on the left coast; everybody else on both sides of the family is on the right coast. For the sole purpose of illnesses and funerals we hoard the airline miles as a hedge against unexpected last minute travel across country. Sadly we've had to do this several times. Thankfully the airlines - especially United - have been very helpful in getting us seats with miles at the last minute once I reach a warm body to whom I can explain the necessity.

Hotel points I hoard to a degree - get myself a decent tier status and then burn through them. Reload for status and burn again. Keep telling myself to save a few for retirement or a rainy day but I can't seem to get that disciplined - maybe I fear they won't be worth much in the long run.

savydog and travelingmore like this.
  24. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Earn, burn, and then earn more.

Earn enough for the award you want. Earn enough even in each alliance for that award, and supplement with hotel points.

But do make sure to spend the miles in rough synch with the time in which you're earning them. Your miles will never be worth more than they're worth now. Points will be inflated away if you don't use them. Which is actually fine, as long as you use them.

Then earn more, rinse, repeat.

That said, I still earn too quickly to use them in the same period in which I earn them, my total balance still grows each year despite my best efforts.

Tiki and kiwi like this.
  25. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's when you remember your friends and family.

miles and smiles likes this.