Are Weather Issues Impacting Your AA Travel?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like an appropriate topic to start off as we're in the middle of the winter still.

I started the day at SFO on the 0600 SFO-DFW that took an hour delay due to a missing flight attendant and a longer than normal boarding process. The plane went out 100% full. Part of the reason for that was the next two flights at 0720 and 0905 were cancelled, and was another one later in the afternoon was also cancelled. Expert Flyer showed "0" across the board for all remaining SFO-DFW flights the rest of the day.

On arrival at DFW it became very clear weather there was an issue. The taxiways were covered in snow and the tugs used to push back airplanes had been converted to snow plows. It took a good 15 minutes to get to our gate at a very slow pace.

Missed my connection to DCA and was rolled over to the next flight. Held onto my F upgrade. That flight took a 1 hr 15 min delay for a combination of late arriving passengers and deicing. Due to strong tailwinds we made up some of the time in the air and only arrived about a half hour late.

A lot better than my trip 4 days ago when my DCA trip became SFO-DFW-SFO instead. AA was kind enough to refund that one.

Anyone else go through DFW today (or try to)?

Tom in Washington, D.C. tonight with crystal clear skies

2. Chris H
    Original Member

Chris H Silver Member

Status Points:
    15 min is not bad for DFW (especially with bad weather). That place is huge - in fact I'm told that DFW is larger than Manhatten - approx. 30 sq.mi.!

3. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    I depart (again) tomorrow so we'll see what happens. DFW didn't look completely horrible today, even with the weather. If I get to AUS tomorrow and numerous flights are cancelled, well I'm going home. :D.

4. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    The weather at DFW will be better on Saturday. There are reports that AA and other airlines added even more Saturday DFW flights.

oklAAhoma and gemac like this.
  5. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. See avatar. [​IMG]

oklAAhoma likes this.
  6. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think wed it will. AA 78 to LHR has been really delayed for the last week, besides a few days. Gotta get to LGW for a 3 hr 15min connection.

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The single DFW-SFO cancelled today just happens to be the flight I'm on. Had a text message just after 6a.m. Initially rerouted home via ORD but was able to change that to DFW to keep the promo miles.

8. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Tom - are you at DFW right now?

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the AC at DCA. Leave here in an hour for DFW. Have a 3 hour layover at DFW.

10. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I had two trips cancel this week out of DFW and have been iced into my house until today (since Monday night). [​IMG]

I had planned to do a mileage run this weekend to avoid the Super Bowl hubbub.... but now I'm glad I postponed that.

We are clearing today, supposedly will refreeze tonight with more snow tomorrow am and then thawing for the game. More winter weather currently projected for Wednesday.

11. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any refreezing will be limited to outlying areas.

oklAAhoma likes this.
  12. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I certainly hope that is true... the temperatures are (at my last look at weather.com) still projected to be below freezing for several hours overnight. Right now I'm in central Fort Worth (definitely not outlying) and there is lots of stuff still frozen. I have 3" of snow still standing as as solid sheet in my backyard. Front yard has thawed to 1". Water everywhere from thaw. I am going to be surprised if there isn't a lot of black ice still on the roads tonight....

13. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Oops... and I will stand corrected since weather.com has updated in the last hour with much higher temperature projections.

They are now not predicting anything below 32. A welcome respite for those of us who have been tortured by this stuff for a week! I still fear my driveway will refreeze but I live in the watershed for the Trinity... we'll be wet for days with runoff.

14. brp
    Original Member

brp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your sentiment. I've gone with the view from our deck,and it looks like that at present. No "weather" on the horizon :)

Cheers.

oklAAhoma and gemac like this.
  15. SpecialK
    Original Member

SpecialK Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah! Thought you might be on one of my flights, but you're coming through after I'm returning, it sounds like. :) Safe travels!

16. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Latest weather from my neck of the woods... car temperature reading at 61 degrees at 2 pm. Sun out in full force, left gym in short sleeves. Still lots of frozen stuff though and a few slick spots on neighborhood roads. I'm hard pressed to think we won't have icy patches tonight... but the airport should be just fine. For those of us going out to Super Bowl pre-festivities, drive carefully and PLEASE designate a driver!!!

17. Last week, yes. This coming week, let's hope not.

18. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thought I would share a weather experience from earlier in the week. I was flyinging SFO-DFW-FLL and back. I got stuck at DFW from snow and ice. I never made it that day and was supposed to fly the same route the next day.. I was given an evoucher for the full price of the flight where I was stuck at DFW (Trip in vain). The first flight of the second day was cancelled also. AA credited the full fare back to my credit card for that trip since I hadn't flown any of it. The miles posting for the half trip was helpful for requalifying but I did waste a day.

19. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, sunny and clear this afternoon.

gemac likes this.
  20. oklAAhoma
    Original Member

oklAAhoma Silver Member

Status Points:
    But still a bit cold, eh?

HNL, dayone and gemac like this.
  21. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait a couple of days.

oklAAhoma, dayone and Blumie like this.
  22. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I walked around downtown for pre-Super Bowl stuff in short sleeves this afternoon... will probably wear a sweater tonight. But definitely not bundled up like I was mid-week!

23. No impact on my travel at all. Of course, I haven't stepped on a plane since December 22. :)

roadwarrior365, gemac, dayone and 2 others like this.
  24. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Time to get goin', son. 100K is a long way.

dayone and oklAAhoma like this.
  25. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    And it ain't gonna get any easier to reach.

gemac likes this.