Are we stressed, lonely and in ill-health?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by 8MiHi, Aug 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ndtv.com/offbeat/frequent-flyers-lose-health-family-love-too-1204216
    The article above refers to a research paper that says that there is a "dark side" to frequent flying.
    It sounds like they are merely speculating and maybe even trying to convince themselves that they shouldn't be envious of us.
    Based on the news article, I would speculate that they did little or no actual study of real FFs and just assumed these problems were common.
    Maybe they just watched "Up in the Air" one too many times.
    I would guess that a truly scientific study of the denizens of the airways would find some very smart people who enjoy coping with the vagaries of frequent flying and are often quite creative in avoiding the concerns mentioned.

vickers, satman40, Newscience and 3 others like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article just mentions some research by two universities with no real evidence even citied to back up a nebulous conclusion.
    In fact the whole article could summarized in one short sentence. "flying a lot could make you unhappy" and spare the other gobbly-goop:rolleyes:

Or perhaps more like " We in India/Pakistan think fliers may be unhappy" Perhaps a bit of rationalization as why air-travel in those countries is perhaps the worst on the entire planet.

3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once on the plane or in the Lounge, The pressures are gone, in fact the day before leaving I seem to do twice the normal work.

Only thing more relaxing is being on a small cruise ship.

4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    More like a refereed paper ( Cohen, S.A. & Gössling, S. (2015). A darker side of hypermobility. Environment and PlanningA (In press). ) nothing to do with India except it's a TV channel's 15 sec fluff filler piece ;)

Newscience, satman40, 8MiHi and 2 others like this.
  5. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newscience, anileze and satman40 like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Haven't read the article. I am generally reasonably happy to fly... when I control the travel.

Last week I had to go on an unexpected last-minute business trip to Texas. Not sure if it was the destination (who knew Hyatt hotels in Texas had Firearms policies), the crowded planes finding me in CR2s for 2+ hrs and middle seats of A320s, the thread of getting bumped before the trip even started, or the lack of sleep before the important meeting due to the late arrival... but it was NOT a fun travel experience for me, and I once again was glad that I am not traveling much for business.

Then yesterday I found that I might have to go to India later in the year (been there, done that a few times in the last ten years). Started looking at what our corporate travel system would offer me in terms of airlines and routing. And got a combination of heartburn, headache and chest pain from just looking at the choices. Do I want to camp out at DEL from 1am to 6am or would I prefer Mumbai? Would I rather be crammed into Emirates' coach torture chamber or perhaps prefer KLM?

I stopped and booked a nice business class award for personal travel on Lufthansa to calm me down :)

No, I don't envy you road warriors.

7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    The articles focus on how frequent travel is portrayed in social media without delving into the "dark side" of "hypermobility". It appears to be all speculation based on media representations without really studying the actual people.
    All I can say is between having control over my travel schedule and budget (F no, P yes, sometimes) as well as fully relying on the coping mechanism that FF status can be, I almost always enjoy my trips. Maybe this puts me on a tier just below "hyper" in my mobility so I don't count.
    Regardless, I have not observed extra stress, loneliness or health issues as I take actions designed to deal with each one of these. I suspect virtually every FF worthy of their status has come up with reasonable ways to deal with the less desirable consequences of "hypermobility".

Newscience, satman40 and pointshogger like this.
  8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is any of the peer reviewed?

Sounds like make news to me, and not real science.

DTWBOB

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The original paper is pretty easy to find. Not an easy read, though (for me, at least).

10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newscience, satman40 and anileze like this.
  11. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's simpler than that. Being away from family for an extended period of time can take a tool on family life, not just travelling a lot. Imagine someone who had 2 part-time jobs that filled up 12-15 hours per day, 7 days a week. They barely have any family time. Even though they may come home to sleep, their family time does suffer. In terms of the health, constantly changing time zones can't be too healthy if we cannot stick to a routine sleep cycle. Travelling is just a result of being away from family and messing with a routine.

Maybe some people fall into these situations, but I don't think it should generalized to all frequent flyers.

I think I'll take the article as more of a warning that we should be conscientious that we should keep family in mind while we travel (if they are important to us) and that we should take care of our health along the way.

vickers, Newscience, satman40 and 2 others like this.
  12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both Ndtv and sciencedaily, refer to the same original publication.

8MiHi, satman40 and Newscience like this.
  14. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excess Sugar, and lack of activity probably kills far more than any excess travel.

Carry a 30 pound bag and we will all be tired, 180/150...

Time to take the dog for a walk...

8MiHi, Counsellor and anileze like this.
  15. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    To say nothing of people who work in other segments of the transportation industry including marine, rail and semi-trucks, or even the military.

DTWBOB

anileze, satman40 and 8MiHi like this.
  16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    anileze, Newscience and satman40 like this.
  17. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    8MiHi and anileze like this.
  18. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I certainly don't miss flying 80-100K miles per year in coach seating! Although I do miss the miles! ;)

Just assume that everyone in Texas is carrying a firearm, and you'll never go wrong! :eek:

6Gun.jpg

vickers, 8MiHi and anileze like this.
  19. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mandated travel sucks rocks, especially when there's almost no traveler control over scheduling and an over-abundance of CR2 sectors. Who'd want it? Million mile benefits aren't worth years of that torment. The key is to fly to places we want to do, more or less at times we want. If we can do that, we win regardless of status or other pyrites trinkets.

@HMWT, booking a J award on Lufty really calms you down? It's that good? I haven't flow LH J for three years or so but at that time I felt it was nothing to write home about.

Newscience likes this.
  20. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first time I took my firearm with me was to Texas. TSA process was pretty quick and easy. If this Alabama thing does not work out, I could live very happily in Texas. Not Austin though...... *shudders*

I usually travel to California or Nevada. Both very unfriendly in terms of firearms.

Newscience likes this.
  21. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll take LH J over UA J any day of the week. ;)

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, I don't have need for pampering. Give me a friendly FA, decent food and a comfortable seat and I am okay. In that regard, most of my premium class experiences have been very satisfying, even on UA. My wife and I have been using F awards when J wasn't an option and actually agree that J meets our needs better. My goal is generally to get to my destination without back/butt pain and with as much sleep as possible. Perhaps if I had a blog and credit card signup bonuses to sell, I would tell you a different tale...

That India trip I was exploring would definitely be a royal pain in the behind, and the fact that I don't even have a fun destination to look forward to as I am sitting in that torture seat is just magnifying the physical pain.

8MiHi and redtailshark like this.
  23. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I agree absolutely. Shark Fam flew GF outbound for vac and although it was nice, I don't see that much difference between this and J. Neither does Uncle Jeff, apparently.... I did EK F once, and that's enough. It was a great experience but it's all bling up the yinyang. The one F product I really do enjoy more than J is NH. Classy, engaging, not ostentatious or over the top, but very comfortable and accommodating.

Actually there are occasions when UA J is an excellent product, just as there are occasions when it's subpar and value-light. On the whole I've had more good experiences than bad in UA J. I love it when I encounter one of UA's best FA's, you know the kind who provides outstanding CS without being obsequious or scripted in the manner of some Asian FAs, and she is polite but still mildly sassy and engaging with her convo. Preferred topics include Uncle Jeff and his enhancements, which let's not forget, don't only affect pax.

I am not such a fan of the Deutsche Eis-Maedchen service in LH intercontinental J, although I will say, recently my LH FAs (males) have been uncommonly cheery and customer-sunny. Maybe they're gay, but who cares.... I told them after my last flight with them that I must report them to Herr Direktor Spohr for their excess of conviviality, it's not the scripted Lufty way.... :p

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  24. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2015/08/frequent-flyers?fsrc=permar|image1 - subscription required
    Now a blogger has joined the bandwagon overreaction to this study. They all seem to want to make our desire to be glamorous by flying frequently the equivalent of paying for getting hit in the head lessons.
    video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrBT4GWjdRV82QAv19XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=Getting+Hit+In+the+Head+Lessons&fr=mcafee#id=1&vid=68de7b86f0a568cf6fa9790e59f0c909&action=view

25. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey now... ;)

vickers likes this.