Are UA regional worth more than global upgrade certificates ?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by RRK, Oct 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another " this makes no sense" United policy.

I booked two r/t flights from NYC to HNL. One flight LGA via IAH to HNL. The other flight on a nonstop EWR to HNL. As per UNITED Mileage Plus website, upgrades on EWR-HNL, IAH-HNL and IAD-HNL are only available with EITHER regional or global upgrade certificates.

I have 4 global upgrade certificates expiring Oct. 31, and I wanted to use those for my 2 trips.
    For the past 3 days I am dealing with several 1K reservation agents, UNITED supervisors.
    All of them telling me that I can use "Regional Upgrade Certificates" BUT CAN NOT use
    "Global Upgrade Certificates" for Hawaii.

The response is always the same. The new system will not allow them to use Global Upgrade
    Certificates on Hawaiian flights. Every time you hear another story. One agent was trying to convince me that I needed al least a W fare to Hawaii in order to upgrade. That might be true for INTERNATIONAL flights, but clearly not for domestic or Hawaiian flights. I keep referring to
    the online UNITED Mileage Plus upgrade summery. It clearly states that I can use EITHER
    regional or global certificates.

UNITED obviously has still issues and not all staff is up to date. That does not make any sense that a regional upgrade certificate is worth more, than a global upgrade certificate.

Any advise ? What should I do ? It is so very frustrating.

2. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were you not able to apply them on-line, from your MP a/c?

You need to call back to get an agent who is up-to-date on the rules for the upgrade instruments (& keep doing so, until you get one). A RPU or a GPU can be used to upgrade flts to Hawaii, with the GPU having no fare restriction when applied to the same flts that RPUs can be used.

hulagrrl210 and 8MiHi like this.
  3. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, regionals are not worth more than SWUs. They are, at worst, equal, since they are interchangable in all cases for domestic itineraries.

Flyer1976 and IDGflygirl like this.
  4. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry you're having all the trouble; hopefully things will work out. Give us an update on the end state.

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been wondering which instruments trump others in priority order. My return flight from CAE to SJO requires 3 legs, and the cost of buying a seat up fron was prohibitive. One of the segments is a CRJ-200, but I think I have a good chance at a CPU on the second leg. It's the final leg from IAH to SJO that I'm concerned about. That fills up during the high season, and January is smack dab in the middle of it.

Instruments are now wait-listed, but I'm going to take a shot at it. Does one outrank another in terms of priority? I can use miles, RPU or GPU. That's going to be a long day, even if I DO get the UG.

6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had no problem applying GPUs to my NYC-HNL-NYC itinerary. My advise is to call back until an agent does it properly - you might even indicate to them what the website says. If that does not work, ask to speak with their supervisor or Service Director.

IDGflygirl, hulagrrl210 and 8MiHi like this.
  7. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fly another airline?:rolleyes: (tongue in cheek!) The new UA **cks!

FriendlySkies and hulagrrl210 like this.
  8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    **cks.....rocks? :confused:

:D

9. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe there is any difference, at least not officially. The only instrument that trumps them all is cold, hard cash.

10. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree that GPUs/RPUs probably rank the same way in UA's systems, I would think GPU's carry a little more weight since they're given to higher-status 1k's+ whereas the RPU's are first issued to Platinums+. Because the instrument carries the weight of the issuer's status, a GPU being redeemed by a 1k would have more pull than an RPU being redeemed by a Platinum.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everyone that OP has talked with so far is either uninformed or the computer is seriously glitched and will not allow this to go through. A "global" upgrade must be, well, global, unless UA has somehow managed to erase HNL from the face of the globe and placed it on Mars...

I would keep calling until I run into a supervisor who will see that this makes little sense or that the system is seriously broken and find a way to do things manually.

Interesting situation that I am looking forward to seeing how it is ultimately handled...

8MiHi likes this.
  12. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. It s***s rocks. :D

canucklehead and hulagrrl210 like this.
  13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been having the problems trying to apply systemwides to the island hopper and intra asia trips which are UDU eligible but apparently not systemwide eligible? :confused: I'm starting to think their systemwides are worthless.

14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because all of my international travel is between Central America, northern South America and the USA, my GPUs are just extra RPUs to me. I sure do hope that I don't experience the problems being described here. I'm planning a trip to Europe, but I'm going to "buy" the Business First tickets with miles, so the GPUs still won't come into play. I hope to read that this has been resolved soon. Keeping my fingers crossed for those of you having problems in the meantime. I (like most here) know how you feel. Everything seems to be difficult these days when it comes to being a United Premier passenger.

15. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everything is SWU eligible with the caveat that some flights (read international) must be W or higher. If the flight is UDU then it's CR1 and SWU eligible. Period.

It's not the SWUs that are worthless, though they've gone down in value, rather it's the CS reps.

16. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that every segment of the island-hopper has to have R available in order to get an instrument or a UDU to clear. You can't waitlist for one part of it and clear for the rest. I could be mistaken and someone please correct me if I am.

17. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this is true, then my GPUs are less valuable than my RPUs, as I must pay a higher fare to use them between Latin America and the USA, or even within the USA. I have not read the details, but I'm guessing that they are not the great value that I was expecting. :( I'm not going to pay more to use them when I can always buy Z fares for less.

18. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you're right. When I booked an award seat, I was only given one seat choice for the segments I was flying on both halves of my trip.

OTOH, you don't have to fly the whole think in the same day.

19. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it does that because it's all one flight number just like booking any through-flight.

IDGflygirl and NYCUA1K like this.
  20. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have applied GPUs on flights to Hawaii, successfully. I called the 1K desk and they did it no issues, so I am surprised you are getting the runaround. I specifically asked for them to apply the GPU versus the RPU since the GPUs expire before the RPUs.

canucklehead and IDGflygirl like this.
  21. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, true. I wasn't awake enough to think of that, but I have coffee now.

22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is the key: all segments have the same flight number. One can waitlist but every segment must clear in order for the upgrade for the whole trip to clear, and this is independent of the upgrade instrument. The only way out is to unlink the segments, but this is not possible with the Island Hopper...

23. dsauch

dsauch Active Member

Status Points:
    Ive recently applied GPU for HNL flights on low fare as well via website without issues.
    also as far as i know RPU=GPU on the waitlist, ie whoever applied first and then fare and status.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  24. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not true, SWUs can never be worth less than CR1s. They can be equal in value, but never worth less.

For flights that need a W fare or higher then you're not able to use a CR1. For flights eligible for CR1 then you can use a SWU with any fare class.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cacophony around GPU vs. RPU is getting deafening. The GPU reigns supreme because it can be used for upgrades in every region (global) whereas RPUs are, well, regional and for just one region at that. This remains true, dubious claims of the inability to use GPUs for flights involving HNL notwithstanding...

Putting it another way, a GPU can do for you everything that a RPU can and much, much more but the converse is not close to being true...

kwai and KenInEscazu like this.