Are travel waivers being severely limited? Or has this been going on for a long time?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ahappyelite, Mar 17, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just noticing that American is making a weather waiver available to those flying out in the next couple of days "who can fly from March 17-21st?" I seem to remember you could push your flight back months later if you could not get out on the day the airline contracted you to fly. This looks like an extremely short and unfairly small window in which to travel? Can anyone clarify. It's especially distressing because these days if you are cancelled on the 17th, the next flight might not be until the 20th or 21st.

2. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, my husband just got out of the hospital with a bi-lateral pulmonary embolism and cannot fly for the foreseeable future, AA would not give us a refund! I guess they would rather he expire on one of their flights.......

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't recall AA having a window for weather waivers that went months out. The ones I've seen have typically allowed you to push your travel back a week or so. Your other option might be a refund if your flight is cancelled.

4. ahappyelite

ahappyelite Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I seem to remember much more latitude to push back further. The value of the waivers should be you don't have to sit by the proverbial phone waiting for a cancellation. So if you make the first move, you only have a 72 hour window. A waiver is not a cancellation and if the flight goes and your not on it, your entire ticket is forfeited. Seems like a bit of a game of unnecessary chicken and drama.