Are there any secret seating perks for EBG?

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by Malu, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Malu
    Original Member

Malu Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last months I have been on a number of Swedish domestic flights where I have not had the time (or even cared about) to make a seat selection before boarding. However, most of the times I end up in the first few rows and often even in the seat I have indicated as my "favourite" in my SK profile. In fact, I don't think I've been seated futher back than row 5 the last year!

This makes me think - is there some kind of priority seating for EBG, or have I just been lucky? Not that there is any real difference between the front and the back within Sweden (other than in the MDs...), but it is always nice to be able to step outside early. Thinking about the seating on my intra-europe flights, I've been "lucky" there as well. In there cases it might have more to do with my active seat selection, however...

2. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, I'll give it a try next time I'm flying domestic in Norway... usually have one leg with alot of free seats, then one with almost always full cabin.. we'll see where they place me :)

cockpitvisit likes this.
  3. Bastholm
    Original Member

Bastholm Active Member

Status Points:
    My experience is that when the color of my card changed from blue to gold - it opened up for choosing between all the seats on Danish domestics even flying on discounted economy. And I have tried the same as you – with no seat choosing I always end op in one of the first 10 rows

So yes, I believe EBG gives you some seating perks….

Malu likes this.
  4. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm also wondering if the EBG-bagtags give any priority on the conveyor-belt. Since I started using them my bags have been of the first on the belt, but I haven't used them long enough to say it's anything more than a coincidence..
    Also, it might be a case of my bag being easy to stow (first on the trolley -> last in the plane, thus first on the belt :D) or something..

cockpitvisit likes this.
  5. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Priority tags on the bag is a hit-and-miss. I receive it late as much as I receive it early when it is priority tagged. It definitely has no effect in CPH and generally not in Europe in my experience. In Asia and USA it seems to work though.

torbster likes this.
  6. Redcap
    Original Member

Redcap Silver Member

Status Points:
    In fact there are. The domestic flights in Norway, Sweden and Denmark are one class, but the seats in front of the cabin are reserved for passengers with a businessticket(Flex) and EBG/Stargold.

TuxTraveller and Malu like this.
  7. Malu
    Original Member

Malu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah - that explains a lot!
    Has this ever been officially marketed in any way?

8. Redcap
    Original Member

Redcap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not that i know of, but it is not a big secret either. Passengers on economy class ticket without stargold will not be able to pick the seats in front.

9. cph_flyer
    Original Member

cph_flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same experience here with Danish domestic .With a gold card the seating options open up in the front of the plane, except for the first 2 or 3 rows.

10. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    With EBG (or Star Gold) you can also select your seat at time of booking on all SK/KF-flights, or was this covered already?

11. Malu
    Original Member

Malu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I don't do all bookings myself.
    Somehow I always manage to add my EB-number to the reservations, though. [​IMG]

12. Bastholm
    Original Member

Bastholm Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree when it come to seat selection at booking. But when i do OLCI it’s quite often possible to choose the first 3 rows as well (I was in 3F on last night - front row on CRJ900) .

Especially in the "minivan" CRJ 900 with only one door - it’s quite nice to be seated in front.

In my "pre-gold" period I often would choose a seat in the back (on MD80 or A319). That would 9 of 10 times give me the same head start - the last 1 of 10 would be when we parked at gates A19-A23 in CPH... They are equipped with bridges...

13. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the moment I'm flying once weekly OSL-KRS (usually on flex-tickets and are not yet EBG....missing a whooping 20 points [​IMG] ), and row 1 seems to be blocked until OLCI opens. However, the rest are open.

When not having a flex tickets (or *G), the first 5-9 rows usually are blocked, depending on the flight

LN-FHU likes this.
  14. joemume
    Original Member

joemume Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm still hoping for an official "middle-seat-blocking-policy" that would enable SK*Gs to have the middle seat free if seated at the aisle or window.

Sometimes, especially in the first two rows on domestic flights, you get this inadvertently, since very few flex-customers or SK*Gs prefer to be cramped up in between two other pax....:cool:

AndersFT and torbster like this.
  15. AndersFT
    Original Member

AndersFT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I’m not sure, but if I have understood seatguru.com correctly some of the Boeing 737 used in Sweden domestic has one extra inch pitch for rows 1-7... So there is a perk even though it’s barely noticeable...

16. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are SK*G able to pre-select seats on *partner airlines as well?

17. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    All or most of the Norwegian based 737s have more legroom in the first 3-7th rows, although it varies a lot between each aircraft

18. Silferlood
    Original Member

Silferlood Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe not a perk but you get lifetime Gold if you are over 60 years old and have been Gold for 10 years..;).

Malu likes this.
  19. Malu
    Original Member

Malu Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, the golden years... [​IMG]

torbster likes this.
  20. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    actually just noticed today that my print-out bagtags were marked priority as well, doesn't look like it's listed as an official gold-benefit - but seems to work fine in norway, my bag was the first on the belt.

21. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, the tag itself also have a "P" or "Priority" printed.It is an official gold benefit.
    Great that it worked for you today - you got lucky :) I have never seen it work consistently anywhere in Europe. Admittedly, I rarely travel through Norway so it may be different there.

22. Chriscross
    Original Member

Chriscross Silver Member

Status Points:
    Row 1 and 5 is blocked until web-checkin opens on domestic in Norway.

23. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

OSL_Commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would agree to the statement that it's a hit and miss in terms of the luggage tags. Even on domestic Norway I would say that it's a hit and miss. Also flying into Norway it's a lottery, however the Priority seems to help in terms of always getting the luggage. For the past 10 years, I think SAS only missed to deliver my bag twice, while on other Airlines I have a worse trackrecord. One of the reasons that I do NOT fly KLM and Airfrance!

24. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah it's true, although I think it helps with the priority when they put the orange priority-sticker on in check-in as well.. it's really visible, but not everyone does this.
    I lose my bags with SAS as much as anyone (although not yet since SK*G!), but I must say that what happens after you lose it really makes or breaks it for me with an airline, and SK has always been outstanding for me there. They seem to have good connections at least all over Norway, and they're usually able to reach you either with their airport-shuttle, their own drivers, or a taxi wherever you are, and usually on your doorstep the same day. My experience with ie. DY has not been the same, on 2 occasions I've had to get a car to drive about half an hour to meet the bus or whatever, and then pay the driver myself for the delivery of my bag. Annoying!

25. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    for me the 1st row is still blocked until 24hours or so before the flight on domestic flights, but the rest are open..
    Got an intra-euro flight with SK today and the first 6 or so rows are still blocked, so I guess seating benefits only applies to domestic? :(