Are there any Kiva loans that you cannot support?

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by milchap, Dec 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recognize that loaning to Kiva is a personal decision and that Kiva offers a variety of types of loans.

A person's choice of a loan should be respected and not debated.

I was just perusing the new format of presentation of loans and noticed a loan to buy cigarettes for resell.

Hence my question : are there any Kiva loans that you cannot support?

Let me start the discussion.

Loans that sell cigarettes or alcohol are not in my portfolio. (I am not a tea tottler and enjoy wine and Scotch :) )

The loans for USA start ups are not in my portfolio as I do not deem them microloans.

The education loans in Kenya are not in my portfolio as I do not deem them microloans.

I do not loan beyond a timeframe of one year.

It is good that there are many different types of loans to choose from.....:cool:

fcjapan, LIH Prem, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, there are lots of loans I don't support, though I totally respect everyone's right to make whatever loans they prefer. I appreciate that there are so many loans on Kiva nowadays that I can be very picky in which loans I support.
    Viva la choice!

LIH Prem, YULtide, kiwi and 2 others like this.
  3. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    I prefer to support certain ventures over others, as I'm sure is the case with everyone here!

I generally support women, and I'd support a grocery store or linen shop over a cosmetics-selling venture.

The good thing is that there are a ton of available loans on Kiva, and everyone's choices and biases are different, so many different types of loans get funded.

4. dgilks

dgilks Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cigarettes are out as are Personal Housing Expense loans. The US is not on my radar along with countries like Israel which are generally more wealthy. Not fussed otherwise but food and agriculture beat cosmetics any day.

5. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rather than focus on loans I prefer not to support, I would focus on loans that I am interested in supporting. I support every lender's right to support whatever loans he or she chooses to support. I acknowledge that my own choices are entirely arbitrary and even idiosyncratic. I think every loan has potential supporters, and even if I am not one of them, someone else will come along and make a loan. And that's a good thing.

6. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must admit that I don't lend for personal expenses.

7. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally I don't like loans that have backloaded repayment plans. There's some micro-lenders in PI that seem to be doing more of this, ie, lend now and get repayed in one payment in a year, and they are not getting any participation from me. I also don't like it when the initial repayments are much lower than the repayments towards the end of the term.

I also tend not to lend for loans that are for personal expenses. I prefer to help people that are trying to help themselves in their business ventures, no matter if it's a taxi driver in one of the stahns or a farmer in South America or a home shop owner in PI.

-David

8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    When Kiva started all loans repaid at end of term. These days it's usually loans for agriculture, where the cash flow won't be there until the crops can be harvested or the animal is ready to take to market. So there's still a place for this kind of repayment plan.

There are lots of reasons for unusual repayment amounts, and I must admit some of them leave me scratching my head, but I presume here you're not referring to the gradual increase of principal repayments as a normal function of amortization.

Not that I'm suggesting that you, or any specific person, should support such loans. Your choice is valid.

9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I was a member then too, but it wasn't because the repayments were back-loaded, it was because kiva didn't release the funds back to us until the loan was paid off. The change to releasing funds as they are repaid allows us to reinvest our funds quicker (or whatever one does with their repayments.)

-David

10. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't back American loans. The finance system in the US is more than capable of catering to a wide variety of borrowers; they really shouldn't be on Kiva.

11. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oops, found another type of loan I won't support: borrowers who want to buy lottery tickets, wholesale or otherwise.