Are there any free eBooks on Travel Hacking?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by SgtPeppers, Jul 31, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you know of any free eBook (not newsletters) on travel hacking?

I know there are several bloggers in this community. I am wondering if any one of you know of ebooks that explain the concepts and tips on this topic.

I am not looking for newsletters, but a resource that can be printed and read start to finish to grasp the concepts that are discussed here.

Thank you folks,
    ---
    ♭♪♬ I am fixing a hole... where the rain gets in... ♬♩♭ and stops my mind from wandering... ♫ ♪

lili likes this.
  2. Valentine

Valentine Silver Member

Status Points:
    A question mark in the topic title could be more appropriate.

I believe Airline Fare School may be what you're looking for, for the basics.

misterbwong, psollitt, lili and 3 others like this.
  3. SgtPeppers
    Original Member

SgtPeppers Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are right about the question mark... missed that. Apologizes for any confusion.

Checked out the link... seems to be great resource.

lili likes this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might be interested in the new book that gleff reviewed on MP. I don't remember the details but AFAIK it's only a real printed-on-paper book so far and not free.

lili likes this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    lili likes this.
  6. gster78

gster78 Active Member

Status Points:
    I bought it. I still can't decide if it was worth the nearly $40 I paid for it.

lili likes this.
  7. montacute
    Original Member

montacute Silver Member

Status Points:
    I bought it too and feel the same way.

man on the move., Gargoyle and lili like this.
  8. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    Read it, and if you can't find $40 value out of it, pass it along to a friend or family member that might learn more from it.

gomike and lili like this.
  9. Aktchi
    Original Member

Aktchi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You should read gleff's posts carefully - there was a promo code which lowered the price to $29 range. :)

lili likes this.
  10. montacute
    Original Member

montacute Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used the promo code from gleff. There was shipping too though, so ai I think it was around $35.

man on the move., Gargoyle and lili like this.
  11. dracjimm

dracjimm Active Member

Status Points:
    Or grab it from Amazon for $28 with free shipping

lili and Million Mile Secrets like this.
  12. gster78

gster78 Active Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I did. I was sloppy in my price estimate in my earlier post. Though I wish I knew I could've gotten it even cheaper via Amazon!

lili likes this.
  13. MaryDarling

MaryDarling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read it and, as a newbie, found that it was not as clear as it might have been. I know I'll get some good out of it but, as a professional writer myself, I was wishing he'd been more attuned to the experience level of his likely audience. In several key spots, it could easily have been much clearer. Overall, it's valuable, but not for the faint of heart!

lili likes this.
  14. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    That could be said about most of the things we do here :) Welcome to the club.

Travelman and Gargoyle like this.
  15. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much interest is there in such a book? I've been toying with the idea.

Keep in mind I'm not a normal author. I've published scientific manuscripts but nothing for a general audience. Still, it might be worth my time even if no one else ever sees it. I studied in college by writing 5 or 10 pages on a topic to cement the facts and clarify their organization (my general exam study guide for my PhD was an overkill 80-page summary of a 600-page textbook).

I don't consider myself on the level of the Boarding Area bloggers, but I think I know enough to create something broadly appealing yet specific enough to target frequent flyers, not kettles, including hacking as well as the rest of what I've learned over the last few years. A good reference book. And it'd probably be cheap; $10 or less. My goal is not to make money, but it would give me something to do on my mileage runs.

Robin, spesalvi and tahewett like this.
  16. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it makes sense and most people would throw $10 at it. Especially if it's written in plain English and is a basics guide. I don't think you can get too elaborate given consistent changes within individual programs.

17. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. But I want more than basics. I think too many authors/bloggers say "there's this thing called fuel dumping, you should look into it" or "look at this cool thing I did" and leave it at that. I want to do a step-by-step example, and do the same thing for every other type of paid/reward travel. I particularly like Seth's blog posts because he gets a little more technical than most. People who find their way to MP or FT don't seem to be unaware that these things exist. They just still fail to understand how they're put into practice because most of us already get it and sidestep a few key points.

spesalvi and savingrace like this.
  18. htcheap

htcheap Active Member

Status Points:
    Scottrick and spesalvi like this.
  19. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I for one would be very interested, I am such a noob when it comes to finding the best price on airfares, ff/hotel rewards etc, for now I just stick to the easiest thing by racking up miles/pts thru CCs sign-ups

20. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the offer, I'll take a look once I get the chance

21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've started work on it. I decided the best thing would be to write a blog, and then from that I would create a book. So far I have about a month of content written, and I want to make it three months before I launch the site and work on the consolidation and editing portion. The domain is already reserved, so expect something around New Year's. The first three weeks or so will be on how to use ITA. I figure after that I'll take a break to work on decoding Hotwire and Priceline before returning to air travel.

I will get to Fuel Dumps eventually, but I think a solid foundation is important. If there's anything else people would like me to cover, please let me know.

22. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    One post after being a member for eight months! Well, it was a good one at least, so welcome to MP! You have a lot to share. I read the book last night and it does provide a good introduction -- better than I've seen from several other ebooks, including ones I've paid for. Mine will only glance over free miles, so I don't think you have to worry about competition from me.

23. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I finally able to read your ebook, I guess I'm not a real newb cuz I know about most of the stuff you covered, but it is a good one for those that just started, and I second what Scottrick said, this is very good compared to what I see covered out there, its all very clear and straightforward and concise and plus its free, I think there are some that sell them and I'm not even sure if its as thorough as yours, so thanks!

24. spesalvi

spesalvi Gold Member

Status Points:
    But there are so many blogs out there that cover cc signups and getting miles without flying etc but how come theres hardly anyone that helps us newbies about after you get the miles, how to get the best award or even how to book them, or how about explaining MRs and how to do one etc or even how to know what's a good airfare, whats a good price to book one etc.....

Scottrick and Robin like this.
  25. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    For less than $10 you can get Frugal Travel Guy's book at Amazon, in both Kindle and paper versions. All profits are donated to the Wounded Warrior Project.

misterbwong likes this.