Are there always fees?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by michael21, Apr 15, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been thinking about getting the 50,000 x2 cards from AA but all the flights I'm looking up to Europe..London, Rome, Paris, all have fees of like $700...Is there a way around this? I want to use AA miles to book business to Europe...what is my best and cheapest option?

Thanks

2. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are mile pointers that know all the tricks. Without knowing all the tricks, I have found avoiding LHR is the best savings when you can.

3. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lol can you point some of those mile pointers to my thread?

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you looking at business award travel on AA metal? Typical taxes and fees on those would be between $100-300 from the U.S. per ticket depending on destination. The highest taxes and fees would be for returns from the U.K. There is no way around those other than to not fly. If you're looking at award travel on BA you'll also pay BA fuel surcharges which can be a couple hundred dollars on long haul, and a smaller charge on Iberia travel.

You could fly into London Heathrow and home from somewhere else to get around the U.K. departure taxes. I've done that a number of times. There is no requirement you fly home from the same place you flew into.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  5. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So I avoid the crazy BA surcharges if I fly into London and out of say France? Meaning the big surcharge is on the way back only?

desamo likes this.
  6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are fuel surcharges for flying British Airways and Iberia no matter where you depart, so you'd save money by flying AA across the Atlantic.

There is also something called the APD (Air Passenger Duty) in the UK, which is charged to all passengers departing out of the UK, but not passengers connecting through the UK. So if you fly Paris - LHR - USA, you won't get charged, but will if you start your return from LHR.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You avoid the BA fuel surcharges by not flying BA. You avoid the hefty UK taxes by not departing from the UK.

desamo and OceanBreezes like this.
  8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much more clear and concise than my explanation

9. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So for example September 17th flight aa3740 one way first is 62,500 but it says in the corner "taxes: $2.00-$700"...How do I know exact amount without "logging in"?

10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll need to continue through with the booking -- just don't go further than the passenger info/payment screen and cancel at that point. You can only do that with AA or Alaska flights, though, and would need to call on anything else.

If you want to check on what the BA fuel surcharges are these days, you can do that by plotting out a paid booking at THIS SITE and clicking the button for itinerary details, once you plot one out, which will list those.

11. folex386

folex386 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to get an idea for the taxes, you could add your itinerary to matrix and it will price out and show you all the fees, just remove the AA fuel surcharge. However, if you start traveling the other partners, as others have mentioned you have to pay their surcharge.

For example:

US Transportation Tax (US) $14.32
    AA YQ surcharge (YQ) $496.00
    US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $7.50
    US Passenger Facility Charge (XF) $13.50
    US Flight Segment Tax (ZP) $7.60
    US International Departure Tax (US) $16.70
    United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) $29.30
    German Airport Security Tax (DE) $6.00
    German Passenger Service Charge (RA) $9.60
    German Air Transport Tax (OY) $55.30
    USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
    US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
    US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
    Finland Int'l Transit Passenger Fee (WL) $6.10
    Finland Security Charge (DQ) $5.20
    US International Arrival Tax (US)
    $16.70

Good luck!

12. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're looking online you're only looking at AA which won't be anywhere near $700. IB has fuel surcharges, but they're not bad (much less than BA) and a better product than AA (worth the extra cost imo).

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm betting AA is hedging their bets since they've started adding partner awards online. First with AS, and BA is apparently next.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  14. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    100% agreed.