Are taxes/fuel surcharges refundable on award cancellation?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by sunny_sc, Feb 26, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are all taxes/fuel surcharges refundable on award tickets if I do a cancellation? This is on BA metal booked entirely with Avios points and a hefty fuel surcharge.

Thanks!

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Avios will charge you a cancellation fee. I've read elsewhere that is is $75 but on my last booking I was only charged $60. Beyond that you will get a refund in addition to a refund on your Avios points.

sunny_sc likes this.
  3. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! I thought I had just made a $2000+ mistake and was freaking out.

4. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be carefull with terminology here.

'Avois points' are a common currency used by three different rewards schemes:
    - BA Executive Club (avilable worldwide essentially)
    - Iberia Plus (available worldwide)
    - the separate scheme that used to be called Airmiles UK (UK only)

Confusingly that third scheme, which is only open to the UK, is called Avios.com/AviosUK.

But each of these are separate schemes with their own different rules, T&C and partners.
    Iberia Plus used to have VERY harsh rules of redemption cancelations on non-IB metal. So be cautious about which scheme you book in.

If this was a BAEC redemption, it is 'BAEC' who will charge you any fees. Avios points is the millage currency. If would only be 'Avios' charging you if we were referring to the separate UK only scheme AviosUK/Avios.com.

5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Should mention that I assumed this was a BA Executive Club Avios redemption since that is what I use and that is what my information pertains to.

6. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. And I think most people (who understand it) would assume that too.

Sadly however there seem to be a lot of people who think the 'scheme' is called Avios, it isn't (other than the UK one that is), it is just the currency that is called Avios points.

And importantly the rules for charges and refunds (both cash, charges and Avios points) vary between the schemes that use Avios points.

skyvan likes this.
  7. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes! That is confusing. Yes, this was a British Airways Executive Club redemption. They have refunded half the taxes & fuel surcharges to me so far... not sure why the other half hasn't been refunded so I'll need to follow up. My heart is still pounding a little harder than it should be right now...

8. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to follow up -- I called BAEC and for some reason when they cancelled my itinerary, they had only refunded 1 adult ticket and not BOTH adult tickets on the itinerary. The agent opened a ticket for it to be looked at by their billing dept and I see a credit to my account today.

During this whole ordeal I think I just grew a few more grey hairs.