Are Tango plus fares about to disappear for a new name

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Jan 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting...looks like there are still some places on the page the links lead to (http://www.aircanada.com/shared/en/aco/flights/pop_faretypes_int.html) which reference Tango Plus rather than Flex but it does look like change is afoot. Probably not a bad thing; having too many products named similarly just invites customer confusion. Then again, calling them "Flex" fares when the same fees apply for changes and refunds - things typically associated with flexibility - might not be the best thing.

2. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe a new name. But you know what they say, if it looks like a tango plus, walks like a tango plus and quacks like a tango plus. Its still a tango plus. :D

3. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/130115.html
    Flex, a new name for our Tango Plus fare, with the same benefits

January 15, 2013

Air Canada is proud to offer you more fare options than any other Canadian airline. Whether you are flying for business or leisure, our fares are designed to offer you the flexibility and value to suit all your travel needs.

Our new name Flex highlights the flexibility and economy value of this fare option, which includes same-day changes for a small fee, advance seat selection, Altitude Qualifying Miles and the ability use e-upgrades and more.

For the most choice, make Air Canada your first choice.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/air/fare_options/fare_options.html

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    "Flex highlights the flexibility" of fares which have the exact same flexibility as Tango fares. :confused:
    [​IMG]

The Aeroplan earning partners site has the new name as well.

YULtide and canucklehead like this.
  5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can live with the name change, but glad Tango did not become Inflexible! :D

I wonder if Tango fares will be present in all markets at all times (TB, for example). If so, worried that we may see the Tango and Flex fares start to separate out more, as has been the case with TPAC fare differences between T and T+.

YULtide and georockc like this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The flexibility to select a seat in advance! ;)

YULtide likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
  8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

That's bizarre! I swear it said for as low $18 short while ago but realized it varies by destination it does say it here::

http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/air/fare_options/fare_options.html

and for NA (US and Canada) and Sun destinations

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/oneway/index_us.html
    http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/oneway/index.html
    http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/oneway/index_sun.html

YULtide likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Glad to see they've ironed out all the details in their marketing collateral. :rolleyes:

;)

tcook052 likes this.
  10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tango is not present in all markets at all times - e.g. if you do a YYZ-ZRH booking right now only Flex, Latitude and Executive come up. Tango only appears in some markets when AC decides to have a "sale". In other words, they zero out the Tango fares on some rotues much of the time but will open up availability during sales and that option then shows up.

I think you are bang-on that optically Tango Plus appears to be "Tango" plus a little bit more (benefits and cost), however in many international markets we get a little more benefits and a whole lot more cost, so using similar branding is confusing and leads to questions about the large differential in pricing.

tcook052 likes this.
  11. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A new name ... and a bigger price differential! $1402 R/T upcharge (on a NRT fare) compared to Tango, in order to get upgrade capability and full mileage credit. Even more difficult to justify than the old Tango Plus.

This game is not nearly as much fun as it used to be. :(

tcook052 and YULtide like this.
  12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bye bye T+. Hello 25% Tangos worldwide! Bye bye AC for me...

13. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I just bought a YYZ-DFW-NRT rtn on AA for $1311 a/i and upgraded with my eVIPs...and 100% EQMs and 200% SDMs. Tell me why I should fly AC anywhere outside Canada again?

14. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where did you get this from?

15. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you have already left (see below)?
    Because I don't like AA hard product, and I don't like connecting through DFW? 6:40 AM departure to arrive at NRT over an hour later, and clearing US immigration/customs/TSA twice.

YULtide likes this.
  16. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    [quote="canucklehead, post: 1824438, member: 585"I wonder if Tango fares will be present in all markets at all times (TB, for example). If so, worried that we may see the Tango and Flex fares start to separate out more, as has been the case with TPAC fare differences between T and T+.[/quote]

Don't need T fares present all the time to see the price differential increase - that increase is inevitable as long as AC believes there are lambs willing to pay for T+/Flex. Flex will be the new base fare and T the "deal" for those who don't read or don't care about FF perks.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  17. Don't need T fares present all the time to see the price differential increase - that increase is inevitable as long as AC believes there are lambs willing to pay for T+/Flex. Flex will be the new base fare and T the "deal" for those who don't read or don't care about FF perks.[/quote]

Air fares around the world are rising and AC has climbed aboard that wagon. A TPAC fare that I bought last year to Asia is almost $1200 more this year, same routing and same flight numbers.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Same fare class, too?

I can buy a T fare one day and a B fare the next and say the fares are rising because the trip is more expensive. But that's not really the entire story.

Average fares are definitely climbing, but there is some nuance in the situation, too.

tcook052 likes this.
  19. I assumed people would understand its the same fare class. And it was. AC "M" class.

There are always nuances with everything in life. Being pedantic is one of the nuances.
    OT:
    Having different interpretations of words or phrases is another. Like describing lowest fare afficiandos with slang;) and making a case out of it.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  20. tcook052
    Original Member

tcook052 Silver Member

Status Points:
  21. Stephan

Stephan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will be interesting to see if T fares become rouge fares over time as there is already not much between them really, especially as the differential to T+ increases.

Also, I wonder if AC will soon take a page from DL - who will now insist on CC spend plus BIS miles next year for elite status - in order to differentiate the pecking order even more.

22. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If Rouge is really a different company, then no. But many of us still remember how Tango started ...
    What's the new DL requirement? You must spend on $X on a DL credit card to get to any status level? (This is less likely for AC as AP is an independent company.)