Are Preferred Seats free for *A Gold?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by martinfoss, Jan 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. martinfoss
    Original Member

martinfoss Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I booked a ticket last night on the SQ25 from JFK to FRA on the A380.
    When I went to select my seat, I noticed that I could also choose what was called "Preferred Seats", and thought "great". I assumed that it was my Star Gold status (M&M SEN) that made me able to do that.
    However, when I chose 81A, a dialogue appeared, requesting me to pay USD 50 for that seat. i decided not to pay, so I aborted, and then assumed that it wasn't free for Star Golds anyway.

However, i'm still in 81A, but haven't paid anything, and am wondering if that's correct - and if it is - why was I asked to pay?

Thank you :)

2. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to pay that $50. Even PPS members are charged that same amount to get those seats. I have not attempted to secure and pay for those seats ever since the policy went into affect. But I assume should you fail to pay, they will reassign you to a different seat.

3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what will happen in this case, but if the load is pretty light, you may find that some of the preferred seats are not taken when online check-in opens, at which point, they become free, in my experience.

SQuealer likes this.
  4. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you do have to pay for these seats, but as Saracen had mentioned, the seats would be assigned free of charge at check-in if they were not taken. This was confirmed by a few different check-in agents I spoke to at SIN.

SQuealer likes this.
  5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does assigning seats work, in general? I'm trying to assign seats for my wife's aunt on a SQ flight from ICN-SFO, but it won't show me a seat map. I just get a message that preferred seats are not available, but that I can request a generic seat, so I just selected "Aisle," which is now what shows up under her seat assignment.

6. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you click on "Select Seats" on the website, it should display a seat map and allow you to select a seat. Maybe the website had gone bonkers again. I would call SQ and try to get the seat assignment over the phone.

7. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is what I'm seeing online. I'll try calling them to get this completed. At the very least, I'll let her know she can probably change it the day before when she checks in. Thanks!
    [​IMG]