Are overseas flights good mileage rackers?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by jakem4800, Apr 12, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see all of you discussing overseas flights as good mileage runs. I think you can fly east coast to west coast for much cheaper and more miles. I can get some crazy cheap deals roundtrip. flights are routed PDX-PHX-PHL-PVD-CLT-PHX-PDX on us airways that's about 6k miles total without sweating. The PHX-PHL segment is a red eye so generally speaking your out about 24 hours and the airplane is your office for the day.

Muerl likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the per cent cost of each of the 6K miles? That is how one determines whether or not an itinerary is a good MR in relation to others that may earn the same mileage....

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    gregm and Max M like this.
  3. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm far from an expert on this subject but just from what I read I'm guessing the attraction is that you can rack up more miles per flight just due to distances which may save time. Time is money also.

gregm, Wandering Aramean and NYCUA1K like this.
  4. benjaminj84

benjaminj84 New Member

Status Points:
    I'm a complete newbie to mileage runs. But it seems like transcontinental mileage runs are more time efficient. Now being based out of Dallas, it's more like a cross country triangle EX: DFW-ATL-SEA-DFW.

timfrost and gregm like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is exactly right, at least in my case as UA 1K. Illustratively, I just did JFK-SYD-JFK last month, which got me 20K butt in seat miles + 100% of 20K bonus miles as a top UA elite, for a total of 40K miles in one pop. Repeat that for the same or several other intl destinations and miles pile up quickly.

Garp74 likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the old days (and maybe still -- I haven't done MRs on United since I got the Million Miles) what was desired was a cheap fare from the continental US to a place like Singapore. For a good fare and with the right routing you'd get over 20K EQMs and if you had two SWUs (one out and one back), you could fly in style and relative comfort, plus see some interesting places (although some mileage runners never left the airport, turning right around and not even spending a day at the terminus).

And there are some better stories. I believe ozstamps claimed once to have gotten around 30K EQMs on a round trip from Australia that included bouncing around the US and turning around in Europe then flying back (again the "long way"), upgraded all the way on 2 SWUs.

But I think the topper (that I've heard of, at least) was on Lufthansa where a routing was worked that in one week requalified the flyer for Senator (Gold -- 100,000 status miles)! It took advantage of double qualifying miles for Business and triple for First, and the fact that the elite flyer got a 25% qualifying mile bonus for being elite. It wasn't the cheapest requalification (since it involved Business Class on some international segments and First on some US domestic segments) but it was the fastest requalification I'd heard of.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you get the very long trips cheap (think NYC-SIN for ~$800) that's likely to be a much better CPM than domestic transcons. And I typically find that sleeping on a long-haul flight is more restful than a domestic transcon. So, yes, I could go out and back in the same day but I'm usually a mess when I get back versus the longer trip with more time to sleep.

Of course, finding them that cheap doesn't happen all that often anymore, though NYC-HKG was ~$800 not too long ago.

anileze likes this.
  8. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The posts I make are not honestly meant for MR. I just keep an eye out for <750 fares to Europe, especially in the summer. I asked if people wanted me to keep doing it and I got a number of yes please. I put the CPMs in because I think there are people who Mileage "Jog" If they can get a quick trip to somewhere and get a good amount of miles for it its worth it to them.

If you find better domestic deal, post them. I am sure others will find them useful, just not me.

traveltoomuch and euromannn like this.
  9. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    880 was the cheapest DL had for a short window in Feb LGA-DTW-NRT-SIN-NRT-SEA-SLC-LGA. Unfortunately, I had India trip booked :(

gregm likes this.
  10. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That used to work best for me. I would 'take the long way home' and rack up some serious miles. Now with MQD'$, I have to make sure I spend enough!

anileze likes this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to consider the MQD requirements as well now so a MR like that may also be good for the roll over factor. If you make status the current year, try to throw as much into next year as you can! (Who knows, by then the requirements could change again...:rolleyes:)

anileze likes this.
  12. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    One other way to think about it is how much flying you can get done over a certain period of time. The plane goes the fastest at cruise. Take-off, landing, circling around all take up time, so the domestic trips with a lot of connections become a huge time suck. Yes, some can work while on a plane, especially with wifi, but i'd rather do a longer trip and make the most out of it.

I spent a Veterans Day weekend doing EWR-IST (too bad it's gone). 10k flying miles (plus bonuses, etc). Enjoyed some time in a new country. Red-eye one way. If you turned right around, you could be back the following day. Also had some friendly pmUA FAs (they staffed the 767s) that kept reminding us that Newark is not New York, but in New Jersey.

PDX-PHX-CLT-PVD is 3466 miles one way. so essentially 1.5 round trips to get the same number of miles as EWR-IST. Not bad to spend two weekends on the opposite coast. Not idea from my perspective to do 2 roundtrips in the same weekend - need fare bucket availability and the short red-eyes suck.

The number of miles is more compelling to Asia.Let's say you do a EWR-IAH-NRT-SIN flight. It's 11,366 miles each way. Timing wise, it's pretty efficient, you leave in the morning, and get to SIN the night of the next day (international date line). On the return, you leave early in the morning in SIN and arrive at EWR the same night. Some of the fares comes with minimum stay restrictions that make it a bit trickier as a pure mileage run vs. a vacation.

One more thing to consider- international flights generally have priority and fleets have more slack, making IRROPs much easier. Nothing more painful that sitting on a tarmac of a delayed RJ with no AC in the summer heat..

13. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Add me when you learn of more from west coast USA.

14. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I averaged it out, as a chairman I get a 100% bonus (most of you don't get that perk) at 14,000 miles and a fare of $260 it's a little less than 2 cents a mile

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    At 2 cpm, that would be a very competitive MR itinerary.

You'd be surprised...

anileze likes this.
  16. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    glad to hear that 2CPM is a decent deal and I agree with some of you on the circling, landing taking off layovers ect portion vs a straight thru 7+ hour long flight segment.

17. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Whats a good West Coast -> Europe fare? Like Sub 800? or Sub 900? LAX-SVO-CDG is $875 right now for the fall. ON SU which seems to mean no delta miles.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    euromannn likes this.
  18. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure as fares to Europe in coach economy for summer are $1200+
    What is SU?

I'm Seattle.....so if you are this good and quick...my destination will always be Seattle.
    Moscow-->Paris...impressive.

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aeroflot.

If you're hoping to earn miles and the fare earns none in your desired program then it is not a good fare for that purpose. It might be a great fare for other reasons (e.g. getting you to the place you want to be for less money than other choices).

euromannn and Muerl like this.
  20. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes agree, not always teh ebst deal includes miles. Thanks especially to Muerl for throwing out the original idea. Just hope more originating from Seattle come my way.

In recent months:
    1. UA has increased it's USA-->ASIA FF award to 35,000 each way economy
    2. AA on Advantage awards has eliminated stopovers on international flights
    3. Delta has made USA-Europe 60,000 one way

No longer the Friendly Skies of yesteryear!

Muerl likes this.
  21. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like my runs to be between 2.8 and 3.9 or so. Its been getting a little harder these days. Traveled LAX-SAL-BOG-SCL-BOG-SAL-LAX for $284.50 on AV (That was my recent best and was a mini vacay run) Have LAX-EWR-ARN-EWR-LAX for $509 (making a mini vacay run) I like to tour the cities ot the area for Intl runs with a 3 night or so stay (I know not a true MR but works for me) I like BOS, PHL, for true overnight runs with some good fares (normally find these in the fall) Thanks and Safe Travels

Muerl likes this.