Are Million Milers Special anymore?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by 8MiHi, Mar 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    A number of threads have had content complaining that million-milers are no longer treated with the special respect they once received regularly. My own experience has been that I have been treated appropriately but have only once noted extra care due to my MM status and that was on PMCO.
    It is my thought that the status has changed and the individuals who achieve it are not all uniformly high mileage frequent fliers as they had to be a few years ago. I am sure the number of MMers has increased to the point where extra special treatment would require significantly greater effort (and costs) by the airline as more mid-tier fliers who have flown consistently for 20 to 30 years are reaching this level now.
    Looked at from the perspective of a PMCO MM, the status and the perks that come with it currently seem attractive and worthy of aspiring to, especially for the FF who may be winding down their business travel.
    Have too many of us watered down the status?

2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Please relinquish your MM status immediately. Thanks.

3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

4. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good observations.

jbcarioca, YULtide and 8MiHi like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. It was actually harder (IMO) to become a MM on PMUA since only Butt-in-Seat miles on UA(X) metal counted while PMCO counted all PQMs.

The merger "true up" then caused the MM balance of many to go up when the UA MM balance was adjusted upwards (which got me within 200k of MM status, quite a boost that made MM achievable for me).

And now it's back to the stricter Butt-in-Seat requirement, so I don't quite understand your analysis from the PMCO MM point of view.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  6. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a MM, I havent ever felt special because of it. in the PMCO days, the MM kit/box was bery nice. When I got the UA one at merger time, it was pretty cheap. Outside of that welcome letter, and the companion benefit and lifetime Gold status, I don't feel any more special than if I didn't have the MM status...both before/after merger.

7. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    where to begin as-MM, BIS

jbcarioca and 8MiHi like this.
  8. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have qualified for PMUA MM status approximately 2 years later than I did for PMCO MM status. What I was referring to was that the PMCO MM program provided lifetime silver so the current MM program is something I find to be very good.
    Lifetime Gold for me is a very nice bump to future travel enjoyment and the companion benefit is also been greatly appreciated. They should sell Survivor's insurance for this.
    Because of this I do not fully get the unhappiness that some express towards the program. Perhaps if I had no companion to share it with or had I been a PMUA MM I might agree with the critics.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. davidov

davidov Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am MM with two airlines and it means almost nothing now. The status has devalued like all else. For example MM with AA means Gold forever. Used to be of value when there was only Platinum above it. But since they now have Concierge, Exec Platinum and Platinum above, there is little chance of getting upgrades and, sometimes, when there are lots of these on the flight, your MM Gold gets you Group 2. UA is similar story.

10. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love BG1 with MM status. That being said, the current program gives me E+ at reservation, 2 bags up to 70 pounds, SDC, the companion status match and a handful of other benefits. I do not expect to make 2MM before I retire, but I find these benefits to be very nice emoluments to receive for a 1MM flier on a budget.

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    May not receive too many comments simply because there may not be too there many 8MMers put there?;)
    As one who travels a lot internationally, *G that comes with MM is plenty good because I'd continue to enjoy access to *A *G lounges. E+ is and has always been a great perk, especially when one can no longer depend on RPUs or GPUs for upgrades to premium cabins.

8MiHi likes this.
  12. Travel Warrior

Travel Warrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm 1.3 million on UA and next month reach 2 million on AA plus have nearly a million lifetime miles scattered on other carriers. Agree, not a lot of benefits for lifetime status. I've told seat mates, just get a credit card that gives you much of what you now get with Gold or even Platinum and fly whatever airline has the best rates, equipment and service. If the legacy airlines aren't going to be loyal to me, I'm not going to be loyal to them . More of my travel now goes to SW for short haul, to Virgin America for longer haul domestic, and almost exclusively to foreign carriers for non-U.S. travel. I've also told the consumer banking heads at both Chase and Citi, the value of their credit cards is being seriously diminished with what the airlines have done, and since selling miles is a major profit center (possibly the most important profit center) at the airlines, if and when the airlines hear from the major banks complaining about how their prime bank and airline customers are feeling about it all, the legacy airlines might in fact pay attention.

13. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for adding that. As a Lifetime UC member I sometimes overlook *A Gold status giving lounge access. It is a very good benefit for the international traveler.

14. vsevolod4

vsevolod4 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm 3MM on UA, which gives me lifetime 1K, but as long as I'm flying US regularly, there is no appreciable extra benefit, since I easily requalify for 1K every year. However, my companion loves the fact that she gets to travel as a 1K. This will only become a real benefit when I hit 4MM, and become lifetime GS.

The downside of MM programs is that people who achieve these levels typically also achieve top-tier status, so the "lifetime" status doesn't really give you a benefit until, paradoxically, you stop flying. I would suggest it would probably make sense if MM programs gave you some additional benefit while you're still an active flyer, such as a +1 class boost in status if you earn above their "lifetime" status. So, since I already qualify for 1K, it would be nice if they gave me GS status as long as I qualify for 1K -- that would encourage me to hit that 4MM milestone!

I'm Platinum-for-life on AF/KL, which I fly rarely now, but when I do, it's nice to have the status (and the access to ST lounges). In short, lifetime program benefits don't make sense until you stop flying, and then they don't have much value. The biggest benefits are for people who reduce their flying but get to keep their usual status.

Waiting to see exactly how the AA/US merger works; I'll be 1MM there, and if they "true up" the US miles to match AA's former all-miles-count heuristics like UA did to match CO, then I'll be close to 2MM. But what would get me flying the new AA/US would be if they added 3MM and 4MM levels, because then it would be cool to have lifetime top-tier status on all three alliances. Which would be kind of cool when I start doing less business travel. If the US/AA MM program lacks that, maybe I will rekindle my BA flight status.

15. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    My PMUA lifetime balance went up about 30% with the true-up, so I wondered many of the same things as the OP. I would love to see numbers from mileage plus.

Between some twists of fate and deliberate choice, I have not been qualifying for my usual 1K status since hitting MM, so I am seeing what life is like as a 1MM with Gold. Other than the advertised bits of "get gold and a spousal match", I have seen nothing special. No extra perks on board, no special favors, etc. It's underwhelming.

16. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow!!!

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I approach 4MM (1.3 UA, 1.5 USAF, .8 mongrel) I have been recognized numerous times (usually with what the F**K do you do?) I am on track to reach 2mm with UA before I die (no retirement for this guy ETA: I like what I am doing!). On the up side the +1 really likes the UA status on the few times she travels alone.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    jbcarioca and 8MiHi like this.
  18. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love to root through the MileagePlus statistics as well. The only data I have been able to find is from 2005, practically the Jurassic period of frequent flying.
    I am sorry you are underwhelmed but Gold is not 1K. 1K to no status is something else again.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for your service. I am at 1.3MM as well on UA, but I intend to retire someday and then my flying might increase.

ContinentalFan likes this.
  20. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a lifetime multi-million miler on 3 airlines and the perks have decreased over the past few years (as we are are very well aware). The best benefit I see is that I can pretty much fly any airline I want and get some reasonable status benefit - like early boarding and free checked bags (Wow!! How great is that??)

I find my Lifetime status at hotel chains is much better.

21. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Active Member

Status Points:
    I finally made 2MM on AA last fall, as I want lifetime Platinum because it allows me to do same by standby changes for free - which I often do! As I needed butt miles to get over the top I did a lot of fun mileage runs around the world with my wife the past couple years - so I'll be Executive Platinum until next February - so no need yet to use my lifetime platinum.

BUT, guess what - if I'm reading AA's top tier changes correctly Platinum NO LONGER gets free same day standby (correct me if I'm wrong) - and I really didn't find any value in top tier status that paying $500 / year for AA's Citi card gave me (like an earlier poster pointed out the cc is the way to go - I've got Amex Centurion as well for the hotel & flight benefits).

Hence my interest in this thread. What exactly will I ever get out of my Platinum status? Come on, there must be something, or else we'll all stop going for these lifetime statuses. I agree AA needs to add a 3MM & 4MM and make those worthwhile - if they do I'll keep playing the video game to get to the next level.

22. alwayslearning

alwayslearning Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was lucky - hit UA MM about the same time as retirement. With permanent gold, I find the freedom of not chasing status refreshing. If we fly Star Alliance internationally we have access to the lounges (regardless of class of service), and can book and reserve Premium Economy for domestic flying. But the biggest benefit of not chasing status is EVERY airline is in play when planning a trip - and with points that can be transferred to multiple airlines (AMEX, Chase, etc.) many more options are available.

23. dedehans
    Original Member

dedehans Silver Member

Status Points:
    I felt more love from Delta when I reached 1MM vs. now at over 3MM....they don't seem to care.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  24. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's because they know they have you by the balls at 3MM. ;)

Dublin_rfk and ContinentalFan like this.
  25. ContinentalFan

ContinentalFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lifetime status tells United what you did. Today the airline is only interested in what you're going to do.