Survey Request Are Loyalty/Travel Credit Cards Over-promising and Under-delivering?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by NYCUA1K, Aug 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

?

Are you getting out of your travel/loyalty credit card what you were promised?

1. I am getting more...!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am getting just about what was promised

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  3. Are you kidding? Not even close! I should've read the fine print more carefully...

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This appeared in the Travel Section of the WaPo:

"What’s the price of a travel credit card headache? ‘Free.’
    Charles Stewart figures he should have known better. The promises made by his MileagePlus Explorer card from Chase — yes, the one that’s heavily promoted in airports and on travel blogs — looked too good to pass up.

“In order to qualify for the free bag check and priority boarding, the ticket must be purchased directly from United, via its Web page,” Stewart says. “I never noticed that. Seems to me that in order to impose such a limiting condition on a promised benefit, United should be required to disclose it more prominently.

Stewart isn’t just another traveler with buyer’s remorse, having applied for a credit card only to realize that it came with clauses that made it “limiting.” As a retired tax attorney from Silver Spring, Md., he specialized in ferreting out the fine print. He figures that if he was deceived, other travelers will be, too.

They are. You don’t have to look far to find people who were disappointed, if not duped, by the claims made by their travel credit cards. Offering such perks as “free” bags and “free” airline tickets, these cards are big on promises, but they often fall short on the delivery. And although these financial instruments are legal, experts say they are not always worthwhile."

Continue reading...

slickbaggies, iolaire, uggboy and 4 others like this.
  2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, a very timely topic, especially given these recent signs at United Clubs, for those of us having Chase United MileagePlus Club cards:

United.jpg

uggboy, vickers, Counsellor and 2 others like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    United gave me 50,000 miles, I can close the card any time I like.

Will I quit applying for UA even AA Cards,,

No, No No..

I have applied over 60 times, only one taking advantage of. The cards is me..

I am an abuser, a Churner...

I love Citi, Chase,, AA and United...

Sorry Charlie....I take 3 bags to a China, and set in 3A..

Ever think if all the billable hours Charle charged for and delegated the work to his secretary...

Again sorry Charlie, I have been there, we are all GUILTY.

uggboy, vickers and Newscience like this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Lifetime RCC/United Club member. Do you think they bothered to notify me of this "enhancement"? No way (and I was counting on using the SEA United Club while connecting to an Alaska Airways flight on the 19th, too).

Yet another diminution from United.

(Hmmm. It doesn't say the "same day boarding pass" has to be on United, or on a Star carrier, does it? I wonder . . . )

flyforawg, satman40, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The same-day boarding pass can be for any airline, and not just UA or *A, if one is a UC member. This means that one has to be at an airport for the purpose of flying out and not just to use a UC.

In fact, as far as I am concerned, this new policy makes sense. Unless I am missing something, it should improve rather than adversely affect the experience of UC members. My basis for saying this is my experience as a long-time UC member. I have never used the RCC/UC just for kicks, meaning that I would not leave my home or hotel and head for an airport simply to use a UC when I was not traveling and did not have a same-day BP. Likewise, unless one is a bit deranged, I do not think anyone would do that either. Therefore, the impact of the rule will be minimal because most people using UCs do meet the requirement of same-day BP. What if someone has a connection that is longer than 24 hr? That is usually known as a stopover, and I think they would do much better to find a hotel rather than try to camp out in a UC and stink up the place for lack of proper hygiene!

So, what am I missing? Why isn't this new rule a real enhancement instead of being an "enhancement"?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    uggboy and Newscience like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    BTW, the new same-day BP rule for entering the UC does not go into effect until August 2016 ;)

7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K., perhaps I don't get it, but how else is anyone accessing a United Club without having a boarding pass for a flight? I can't get into the secure area of an airport - which is where the United Clubs are located - without a boarding pass and being subjected to the customary TSA "search and seizure".

As a United Club member, I should have Club access whenever I am in the secure area and waiting for a flight - the airline which I am flying on should not matter. This sign tells me that United Club access is all going to change. Perhaps United Club members will only be able to access the Club when on UA metal? Maybe also partner airlines? Why else put out these signs? Comments welcome.

Counsellor, uggboy, vickers and 2 others like this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    You make the point that no one would be able make it to a UC unless they have a same-day BP since they would need it to get through security check. That being true, I am not sure why you're working yourself up. If you are a UC member, and you make it through security check, you will be able to use the club regardless of which airline or alliance issued your same-day BP. Therefore, after the new rule goes into effect next August your statement should read:
    I see no problem whatsoever for UC members. I think of it as a real enhancement because I do not believe that people who have connections of more than 24 hr should be allowed to sleep in the lounge.

uggboy and Newscience like this.
  9. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that we will find out in a year precisely what will happen with the United Club access. Are you saying that flightless/homeless people are "camping out" in the United Clubs? :D

satman40, uggboy and NYCUA1K like this.
  10. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is great they are giving a year notification.

NYCUA1K, iolaire, satman40 and 2 others like this.
  11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it all depends on your expectations and how you book. I find I am getting exactly what I am promised. Although I have never had the MIleagePlus credit card and cannot comment on it's promised benefits vs. delivered benefits, I seem to get benefits promised to me when I book for business through my Orbitz for Business profile, but I have seen where benefits do not extend to those booking through discount portals. For example, I receive boarding and bag privileges for having the Barclay Aviator card, even though I book on my corporate AMEX card through Orbitz.

Also, most of these cards offer a $0 annual fee for the first year, and bonus miles after making minimum spend, so its worth it to at least try out the card the first year. But I do agree, such limitations should be advertised.

satman40, NYCUA1K and Newscience like this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's what I am saying.:)
    I agree with you. I am getting a bunch of benefits through the many cards that I have that I do not even take advantage of because I have always had top elite status that gives me the same benefits anyway. The airline cards for me are for maximizing on redeemable miles when I use them to purchase UA tickets, since they offer the most miles compared to other cards. I have the UC card as well, which beats purchasing the membership with cash...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some of us get Gate Passes, we take friends to, or meet the when they get off the plane, some can not speak English, others are Blind, or just a young age.

AA will still give us access, and some Clubs are outside security.

Many time we do have time to use a Club when traveling, tight connections etc, but they are great, when you have time to enjoy them, and need them.

14. slickbaggies

slickbaggies New Member

Status Points:
    i feel like i'm getting about as what i expected. remember...these companies don't have to offer anything...the perks are a plus for loyalty.

satman40 and NYCUA1K like this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it seems that the respondents to our our small and non-scientific poll overwhelming agree with you that we are getting about what we expected (or were promised)...;)

vickers, Newscience and satman40 like this.
  16. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    United Club at LGA is outside security. I used to like to go there when waiting to pick up folks arriving (a whopping several times a year.) It would have impacted me. Could work around it with a refundable purchase, but just another PITA brought to you by United.

Never felt the club was that crowded back in the day and I certainly wasn't draining all the fountain or canned soda and crudites. :rolleyes:

The limitation on the baggage allowance linked to UA direct purchase is surprising. I'd be upset, too.