Are iPads Treated Like Laptops By The TSA?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by Cholula, Mar 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not that I'm planning on winning one of Randy's iPads but I was wondering if anybody has any experience with carrying an iPad or other tablet device through TSA screening recently?

Do they have to come out of the carry-on like a laptop or can they stay in the bag?

Thanks.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. kingalien
    Original Member

kingalien Silver Member

Status Points:
    iPads do not need to be brought out of the bag at security. However I've been asked one time to bring it out. Today I brought it out as my bag was pretty full so I voluntarily did it just so it would be less hassle. No matter what, this is the TSA so YMMV ;)

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same as kingalien, sometimes it can stay in the bag sometimes out. This morning in MHT I asked if the wanted it out of the bag and they no, but they wound up re-scanning the bag.

4. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have left my iPad in my bag in both the U.S. and Canada on several trips now. I have never had problems nor have I been asked to take it out for scanning or inspection.

5. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes and no. sometimes they will want to rescan it when its in baggage. I save myself the hassle and take it out each time. especially if I have chargers, wires in the case since the tsa wants to have a distinct look at both wires and laptop

6. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    My iPad causes me to have a bag check around 50% of the time. It depends really on what else is in the bag. If you have anything else solid (e.g., big camera, Kindle) they are not going to be able to tell what they are looking at in the scanner.

7. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends on the airport. Better than 50% of the time they want them out (I've run across a couple of places that even want Kindles/Nooks out....).

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    If we all just pulled them out of the cases it would speed up security. They should just standardize it. I assume in the not too distant future the tsa will catch up with tablet pc's etc.

BamaGirl, doc and hulagrrl210 like this.
  9. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown with a Kindle for about a year, and I've never been asked to remove it from my laptop bag. Same goes for my newly acquired iPad.

10. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Wow, every SINGLE time I have had my ipad in my backpack (after taking the laptop out and putting it in the tray) I have been asked to take it out and rescan everything again. SFO, IAD, CHO, PDX, JFK, not sure about int'l, although they did it in DEL, LHR and several smaller places in india. All wanted it out.

11. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    They're jealous! Imagine if you had an iPad 2!

12. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have an iPad or other tablet, but do have an eReader for the last 14 months. It was fine to leave it in my carryon until last fall (2010). Since around Nov. 2010, TSA has rescanned my bag, each and every time I have it.

They claim that it is because there are other things in the bag that make it hard for them.... but at Christmas time, the bag was nearly empty! :mad: They not only rescanned the bag, but took the eReader out with telling me.... and I left the checkpoint without it... I discovered it was not in the bag in the President's club (yes this was EWR), and figured I forgot it at home... Went back to the checkpoint on the way to the gate.... and .... they had it! I was so ticked off!

They also insist on a visual inspection of my Western Passport HDDs lately. They never bothered before until the last 4-5 months.

13. unroadwarrior
    Original Member

unroadwarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had issues with HDD (especially the old 3.5" ones), but never with my iPad. I actually asked a TSA agent and he said that only "full size" laptops, especially those with hard drives are what need to be taken out. I implied that to mean that even MacBook Air's are exempt. YMMV, at the end pf the day, it depends on what else is in the bag and how picky the TSA agent is.

14. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had no issues with my iPad and TSA.. Only had to remove it in SYD & FRA..

15. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd. Last time I went through SFO (January 29th), the clerk asked how I liked my iPad, but did not rescan the bag or remove it..

16. N965VJ
    Original Member

N965VJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a screener missed out on a new toy, or something to cash in on eBay. :rolleyes:

17. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've been traveling with my iPad for quite a while now. I have actually never been asked to take it out. Going through the UA premium security line at ORD, there are actually signs (posted right around the metal detector or right after) that have pictures of what has to come out and what can stay in (specifically for electronics). I'm assuming this was meant for TSA personnel, but it is/was there right out in the open. iPads were specifically listed as not needing to come out of bags.

That said, we all know that some TSA officers either don't know the current regs, or choose not to follow SOP, so I'm not surprised to hear that others have had issues.

18. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always travel with 1 3.5" HD. Occasionally with 2. I've never been asked about it. Once they swabbed the bag it was in, but that was all.