Are Hyatt gift cards always this difficult to use?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by tom911, Jan 31, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep running into issues trying to redeem gift cards/e-gift cards at check out.

Last week at a Dulles area property the front desk clerk told me her computer did not have a gift card option and only displayed "Gift Certificate" as an option. She made a copy of my e-gift card and said she would send me an invoice later. On arrival at the airport, I received a correct invoice where the gift card line appeared, along with the last 4 digits of the gift card, and funds were properly deducted.

Back on January 7 I had a stay at a Manhattan property and used an e-gift card. This time on check-out the clerk selected "Gift Certificate" and typed my 19 digit card number on the invoice. Been over three weeks now and they still have not deducted the funds from the e-gift card. I e-mailed the property on January 26, encouraging them to deduct the funds for my stay and calling the error to their attention, and have not received a response.

Back in December I had a stay at a property in Washington, D.C. On check out the clerk used the option for "Hyatt Gift Card Commissions" for my plastic gift card. A few weeks later a charge appeared on my credit card for the entire stay. The property made no attempt to contact me and ask about method of payment before sending it to my credit card. I checked the balance of my gift card and the funds were never deducted, even though I did present the card at check-out.

Surely I can't be the only one running into issues with these? Anyone else?

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used it at 3 properties a couple of weeks ago. In Toronto, they had to call the gift card in and manually charge it, but in DFW and HNL, there were no issues with the swipe and debit from gift card (though the agent at DFW was training so it took a little longer to use). Each time, I asked them to confirm the balance which I wrote on the card key holder they give you when you check in (serves as a nice card holder and tracker). Incidentally, these were all Hyatt Regencies.

Sorry you are having these troubles but it sounds like the agents are not handling it properly.

uggboy likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had similar problems with the Costco gift certificates back in the day. Lack of training.

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a stay at a Hyatt Place near FLL; then Hyatt Pier 66 the next night. The HP system made it very difficult for the FD agent to apply the e-gift card. She says it's far easier with the "hard" cards, as she can just swipe them in her card reader. Pier 66 had no issues and seemed to have seen the e-cards before.

uggboy likes this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought a couple thousand dollars worth of those and never had a problem with them. I was at a property two weeks ago and the agent there told me they're still being redeemed. Ran out of mine years ago.

uggboy likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I still have a few in the safe. Will use them up this year.

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been a week since I e-mailed the Manhattan property and still no response. Just called and spoke to someone in their accounting department who will call me back. She was in the middle of something and I was fine with a return call. Hopefully will have the stay from January 7 deducted before the day is over. Checked my balance on line this morning and it still has not been deducted, although two stays in the DC area this weekend were properly debited.

uggboy likes this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    If you're still having an issue, I'd recommend pinging Hyatt Gold Passport Concierge here on Milepoint to assist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uggboy likes this.
  9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's 2030 in New York City right now and no callback from accounting. Unless they're keeping late hours tonight, suspect they're not planning on calling me today. I'll give them one more day to call me back before going the Gold Passport Concierge route.

uggboy likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can't say that I would spent a ton of my time chasing after Hyatt if they can't figure out how to debit the gift card (as long as they don't charge some other card that I didn't really authorize). A couple of emails, and if that doesn't get them going, too bad.

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what happened at a DC property in December, though, when they posted the gift card incorrectly. Out of the blue a few weeks later a charge for the total stay appeared on my credit card, negating any savings I had purchasing the gift card. No call, no e-mail, just straight to credit card.

uggboy likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    One email to Hyatt CS or the hotel, and if not fixed in a week, credit card dispute. Life's too short to fight with Hyatt's accounting systems.

13. Todd T. - Gold Passport

Todd T. - Gold Passport Official Representative

Status Points:
    Greetings MilePointer's,

Todd Tomlin here with Hyatt Gift Cards and Certificates. You are our valued guests and Hyatt Gift Card/Certificate holders, and should not be having these issues with the products you purchased from us. There is always room for improvement and training opportunities however, so the issues you are calling out specifically will be addressed. @tom911 I got your message on "that other site", and we are going to get you taken care of. If any other MilePointer's have issues with your Hyatt Gift Cards or Certificates, please e-mail me directly at todd.tomlin@hyatt.com.

All my best,

Todd Tomlin
    Manager - Hyatt Gift Cards and Certificates

uggboy, IDGflygirl, alfagirl and 2 others like this.
  14. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been over a month now and the funds are still on my e-gift card and have not been deducted. I have not received a call from from the property or Hyatt to resolve this. I'm off to Europe in the morning for 10 days. Maybe it will be resolved by the time I get back.

uggboy likes this.
  15. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had trouble at every Hyatt Place I have used the gift cards purchased with the 10% off. The last time I got fed up...5th time I used it at the same Hyatt Place and it still took 10 minutes and 3 people to figure it out (with rude comments to me when I suggested having notes for the future). I emailed to customer service and I received a quick and very nice response with followups from the hotel. Other Hyatt Places have also had difficulties but were friendly about it. The entering of the card is not intuitive and they have to use a different screen than other payment types. There is definitely a problem that glad to see Todd's post that they are working on resolving.

uggboy likes this.
  16. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had an e-mail from the Hyatt New York City property that had still not debited my e-gift card from January 7. They're looking into the matter with Hyatt and sounds like it might be resolved shortly.

Tom in Dublin, Ireland today

uggboy likes this.