Are Houston drivers the biggest A-holes in the US?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Apr 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just for the record, I've literally driven all across the US and have driven in pretty much every large city in America.

So this past week, I traveled to Houston for work and for the first time, actually rented a car. I stayed in hotels all over town from next to IAH, next to HOU and west of downtown off the 610 loop. I had the same experience each day which was tons of Houstonians driving like total a-holes.

Not only was there plenty of cutting people off but also multiple instances of not allowing others to merge into the highways and even in heavy traffic, to allow what most would be considered standard merging from an on ramp or lane closure.

Has anyone had the displeasure of driving in Houston and has your experience been the same, that these are the rudest / biggest a-hole drivers that you've ever come across in the US?

Mapsmith likes this.
  2. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I don't know if they are the worst, but they are bad....myself excluded, of course. ;)

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree that people in Houston need some driving manners, I find the people that drive in Miami are the worst I have ever experienced (including driving in Paris).

5. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Houston, TEXAS. I'm orginally from Oklahoma, and I learned early on to always watch out for those Texas drivers!

6. AUSsie

AUSsie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having lived in both South Florida and Texas, Miami drivers are by far the worst in my experience. In Houston, you see people abusing the rules. In Miami, you see people inventing their own (right turns from the left lane of a six-lane road through a red light were pretty common, as were people getting rear-ended on the highway because they were only going 80).

7. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry that you had a bad experience driving in my hometown. However, like you, I have also driven in plenty of places here in the States and abroad, besides having lived in South America and Europe, that I would categorically declare as hair raising experiences, I would not put Houston on that list. That we are a car driven city as is Los Angeles, and sincerely do nit believe we have the market cornered when it comes to driving a**holes.
    On the contrary, I pride myself while driving in believing that I am not in such a rush that I can't show basic gestures of civility while driving in allowing someone to merge into a lane ahead of me while on the freeway, or someone who is joining traffic from a side street or a business parking lot.
    I hope that next time you come to town, you may have a better experience. Mind you, this is not nirvana traffic down here for sure, but we certainly in my experieced opinion NOT the rudest / biggest a-hole drivers that one has ever come across in the US! ;-)

8. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agree 100%! Houston people need some help too, though. ;)

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. javacodeguy

javacodeguy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only place with a low concentration of a**hole drivers is in the Pacific Northwest. NY, NJ, PA, FL, KS, MO. Every state I've done a lot of driving in has a huge concentration of terrible drivers. They'll cut you off, tailgate, merge without blinking, among many other horrible habits. I think everyone has a selfish mentality and sense of superiority. They don't think about the bigger picture of what their aggressive driving is doing.

The only places I've felt like people aren't out to kill me with their driving is in Oregon and Washington.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    To generally answer your post title, yes.

Mapsmith likes this.
  11. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    New England drivers are the worst in my opinion (and I used to live and drive there, therefore myself included :D)

12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, I think about 1/3 to 1/2 of the people in this country with driver's licenses shouldn't have them. Probably including me. :) Unlike most people, however, I recognize that I'm a crappy driver & don't get behind the wheel. :D

13. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Houstonian, I will agree that we have a lot of pretty rude drivers. But I've driven in many other parts of the country, and I would have to say the Northeast is the worst in my opinion. Just spent a week in MA, NH and CT. Tailgating seems to be the norm for them. People made right turns in front of me from a left lane. People honking at me for not going through an "orange" light at a major intersection. I was never so glad to get back to Houston freeways.

aptraveler likes this.
  14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to say New Jersey has the worst drivers in the country but that's my opinion alone.

15. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A topic I have extensive experience with. I live in Houston, born and raised in New England and drive for a living. (Have driven a semi truck for 15 years). There are bad drivers everywhere. Houston is no worse or better than anyplace else. If you are timid you will get swallowed up in any decent size city.

javacodeguy likes this.
  16. Txbdg

Txbdg New Member

Status Points:
    Yes! We moved here from Fort Worth just over a month ago and have been rear ended twice already. Neither time was our fault. The first time totaled my car and put my 9 year old in the hospital for four days. Where is everyone going that is so important that they are willing to risk their lives and other's?
    I'm not a timid driver, I can hold my own on the streets of Dallas. This place is just nuts.

17. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    We're called Massholes for a reason

viguera, LETTERBOY and kw335 like this.
  18. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the record within the confines of the US Puerto Rico and San Juan in particular take the cake.

19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'll be in Houston later this week and I'm renting a car... I'll take your warning and drive very defensively, and I'll see what impression they give me. Hard to imagine they'd be worse than ATL or DC drivers.

20. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience with driving tells me that people will almost generally do what's better for them, even if it's not the optimal choice for the crowd. Allowing someone to merge unto the highway or when there's a lane closure is the most obvious way to see this behavior... people constantly make it difficult for others to merge, or don't follow "the rules" and try to cut someone off until the last minute, even though that in itself makes traffic worse.

And in my personal experience Florida has the worst drivers in the entire world, by far. New York / California / Boston drivers are bad, but traffic is so terrible all the time that you barely get a chance to experience it. :)

21. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, they're not rude, or a-holes really.

What they are is extremely selfish and totally unaware that they are sharing the road with other vehicles. Compare them to Dallas drivers and Houston motorists are sane.

That said, if you really want to try and avoid being t-boned constantly by somone shaving, eating breakfast, reading the paper, talking on their phone, texting and (if they're female *and some males, depending on the part of town*) doing their make-up while driving 75 down a 2 lane road where the posted speed limit is 35 then Houston is your place.

In other words: Yeah, they kind of are. :)

LETTERBOY and artvndlay like this.
  22. artvndlay

artvndlay Active Member

Status Points:
    I think there is an average number of a-hole drivers here in Houston who try to force their way into merging lanes, take right turns from the left most lane etc etc, but I think Sedosi is right, most are just oblivious...terrible drivers. The a-holes here get away with more because drivers on the east coast wouldn't put up with the stuff a-hole drivers get away with here.

However, for all the flashy cars I see around I haven't noticed the same kind of speed on the highways as I did in Miami. For the most part, I don't mind getting passed by an R8 or something going 120+...what scares me is the idiot in the entry level "luxury" cars trying to keep up with a top end sports car and that seems to happen a lot in Miami.

Compounding the problem in Houston is the number of uninsured motorists. When I moved here my insurance jumped significantly, maybe 25%. I obviously inquired about change and the insurance agent said it was all due to the much higher number of uninsured motorists in Houston and the likelihood of an accident here. I shopped around and heard the same line again and again.

23. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miami is the worst I've experienced. I drove in the NE (ME to Boston) and had no issues. Chicago isn't great, but I never had difficulty there either, because I typically drive with the flow of traffic, rather than too defensively. Miami was awful, and I couldn't wait to get out of there. Orlando isn't a whole lot better with the combo of uninsured motorists, foreign tourists and tired long-haul domestic driving tourists from the NE, but still not as bad as Miami.