Are hotel staff privy to guests' detailed membership status?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sgkis, Jul 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sgkis
    Original Member

sgkis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does front staff have access to information besides the very obvious indication of status that is reflected on physical cards? Information, in the form of say, recent hotel stays/ number of nights one has already accrued.:)

cordray2643 likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would depend on how the information is stored and presented on a particular chains terminal.
    I believe that most have access to this information. At an IHG property the clerk looked at the screen and said "I see you are a platinum member" so I know at least they can see the status.

cordray2643 likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Recently at two different chains, I've seen lists of elite guests left unattended in the lounge. My name seems to have a bunch of codes that I assume reflect some level of program rating level which is more sophisticated than status such as Platinum or Gold. I think there's information coded regarding previous stays at the property also, which seems to matter in the prioritization of preassigned upgrades.

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you check into the Westin in Melbourne, they seem to go so far as to announce the total number of SPG points in your account. Had this happen the two times I've been there. I thought it was both odd and inappropriate.

snap and cordray2643 like this.
  5. rhoady

rhoady Silver Member

Status Points:
    At a HI I asked if they knew how many nights I had stayed at that property and they told me.

cordray2643 likes this.
  6. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many IHG properties will supply you with your current points balance upon checkin. This is usually very accurate. I don't think that they can tell chain wide stays or ytd earning though.

7. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had this happen at some IHG properties home and abroad, and agree with you on thinking it "odd and inappropriate". Maybe I'd feel differently if my points total wasn't always anemic. I don't need reminding, thank you very much!

NYBanker likes this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Opposite reasons...but same views!

snap likes this.
  9. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at HI recently, that had total number of points and the status printed on the folio, that had the room keys.

snap likes this.
  10. snap
    Original Member

snap Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh right, I've had that also. Can't remember the chain(s) though.

11. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had this happen a couple of times at a couple of Marriotts. It was a couple of years ago, but I think one of the properties was the Vancouver Airport Marriott that did this.

12. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Current point total isn't so meaningful, as a member might employ a "burn-as-soon-as-earn" philosophy.

Lifetime points might be more meaningful.

Million Mile Secrets likes this.
  13. Million Mile Secrets

Million Mile Secrets Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had quite a few SPG properties in Europe (Salzburg, Lisbon, and Vienna) announce the number of points in my account. Then they *sigh* ask me if I would like to use an exorbitant amount of those points for a 30 euro meal.

14. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the only times they have reviewed my balance either orally or written form it was at hotels that allowed for instant redemptions - things like breakfast, spa services, robes, etc. It's just a marketing tactic that I don't find inappropriate at all. And at some of the European hotels where breakfasts are very pricey, it's not necessarily an awful deal.

15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've had SPG properties give me a letter at check in or IIRC an email in advance that states my current points balance and then asks if I want to spend them on things like upgrades, spa treatments, in room movies, etc. So far I've never been tempted.

16. 7Continents
    Original Member

7Continents Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently at a Westin I saw the daily upgrade list. It had name, status, room res. codes and a point value. It didn't look like how many points was in an account, more a rating - I would think number of stays/revenue etc.

17. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happened to me once also in W HK.

18. Pharaoh
    Original Member

Pharaoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cannot remember which chain but a few years back a reception clerk was able to see at least one stay at a different hotel in the chain a day or two prior and asked, as the computer was proceessing something, how I enjoyed it there. Nice conversation and comfort starter.