Are flights booked with points fully refundable?

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by jaw_24, Dec 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And when I say refundable, I mean you get the full points balance back if you cancel. Are the taxes held in your account or are they lost?

Asking this because this could potentially be a way to get around the new restrictions (as of Jan 2011) on who can use funds from previously cancelled tickets.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know on Southwest, but to provide some context from the majors, you can get your points and taxes back (subject to 3-days notice in the case of DL), though depending on your status with the airline, there will be a "redeposit fee."

Jimgotkp likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=rapid_rewards
    If I make my reservation using points and have to cancel my flight, how long will it take to get the points re-deposited in my account?​
    If you cancel your reward travel reservation before the flight, the points will be immediately re-deposited in your account. If you do not cancel the reservation, the unused points will be re-deposited in your account within three to four days after the date of the last flight in the reservation.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  4. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just had to do this because my son's Christmas leave was cancelled at the last minute. I called WN about 4 hours before the flight. The points were reposted to my account before I got off the phone with the customer service rep.

5. UAPhil

UAPhil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, points bookings are fully refundable, with no re-deposit fee. Taxes can be either refunded or kept in the system for future use. I routinely use Rapid Rewards points to book flights where my plans (or travel companion plans) are subject to change.

servo46250 likes this.
  6. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slightly related... what if I book a flight using points, and the points go down? Do I re-book at the new lower level, then cancel the ticket at the higher level?

SC Flier, kenbo and Horse like this.
  7. sellthesedownfalls

sellthesedownfalls Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes and yes!

kenbo and Horse like this.
  8. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update

Worked like a charm. :cool: When I called SW to do this, they answered the phone within a minute. I spoke to someone that sounded like a college student. He was so happy to help me. Kudos to SW.

SC Flier likes this.
  9. HouseofV

HouseofV Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have redeemed and canceled a bunch of flights with no fees. Best feature about their program, no doubt.

10. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree 100%

Casey Friday and PointsCashMiles like this.
  11. nsx
    Original Member

nsx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reservations made using points are refundable and NOT locked to one passenger name as cash funds are. That's why I say that points are better than cash, at least when booking for infrequent travelers.

PointsCashMiles likes this.
  12. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree - even though I wasn't a big fan of the set value points at first, I'm starting to come around to the new Rapid Rewards

13. theblakefish
    Original Member

theblakefish Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is great news -- trying to get to SJU from FLL on B6 but my positioning flight will be on WN...the n/s flights on my routing from HOU sell out quickly so it is good to know that I can book a rapid rewards flight with confidence that it will be refundable with no charges! :D

14. nsx
    Original Member

nsx Silver Member

Status Points:
    A member on flyertalk recently reported a marketing survey in which one of the questions asked for an opinion about change fees on award tickets. Uh oh. The slightly good news is that a survey asking about change fees on paid fares was circulated about 3 years ago and nothing ever became of that one.

I realized a few months ago that if Southwest ever decided to impose change fees on paid flights, they would also have to impose change fees on award travel. Otherwise customers would book all their low-probability trips using points to avoid the change fee. (Actually, that's what I do already, since the other advantage of points bookings is that the taxes and points are both fully refundable as compared to ticketless funds which expire and are tedious to track.)

Anyway, I figure that imposing change fees on points bookings is a necessary precursor to imposing change fees on low-fare purchased tickets. If you see the former, expect the latter to follow within 6 months.

Disclaimer: This is just my inference. I have no inside information whatsoever. If I did have information I wouldn't want to comment on it. Being on the outside allows me to post freely.