Are FF Sites a danger to national security?

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by lipton, Feb 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lipton
    Original Member

lipton Gold Member

Status Points:
    We share a lot of information on Frequent Flyer Sites. Nobody knows more than we do. We have insider information about almost everything and we share most of them. Terrorist groups could use our information to plan attacks. They might not know about us yet, but I guess sooner or later they will. Will FF Sites become a danger to national security?

Dont know if the Forum is the right one. If not, please move it.

2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how a terrorist would use the information that we share unless they want to learn how they can fly free and get free hotel rooms. I am sure they are not interested in status. Then again, I am no terrorist and do not understand how they think.

Some of our fellow travelers have been suspected of being terrorist because of their trip to foreign lands with no stated purpose other than a mileage run.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    With all the whining in the Security Forums (well, at least at FT)? Please, they would even get a headache there.

Don't think it really hurts though.

Dovster likes this.
  4. lipton
    Original Member

lipton Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well a smart terrorist would try to get gold status. When flying F f.e. FRA-JFK he could use the First Class Terminal. Would you think a business man would be a terrorist?

5. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Over on the other side (and, I'm sure, here soon as well) we often post about the charade . . . uh . . . "weaknesses" . . . of airport security. Those posts are read by members of TSA (we know this because they participate in the discussions). We've offered myriad suggestions about how to make it actually effective yet, instead of adopting them, TSA continues to spend billions on what is no more nor less than security theater -- a dog-and-pony show designed to reassure the casual once-a-year flyer while doing absolutely nothing to increase the security of commercial aviation. It doesn't make sense to forgo our criticisms out of fear that some terrorist is going to read it -- trust me, they know as much as we do.

As for all the rest, I don't think terrorists are particularly interested in finding the best club rooms, snagging upgrades, or taking advantage of a mistake fare. ;)

N965VJ, kwai, bluesky and 4 others like this.
  6. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    Our very existence is a threat to national security. I say forget about it and move on with life. &*%$ happens.
    Anything we know is in the public domain. I'm sure a clever terrorist can use the internet to achieve goals far more important to him than getting upgrades. I'm sure they're better at sneaking 4oz of liquid through security than most of us, too.

JimYUL, kwai, JDiver and 2 others like this.
  7. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto on both posts above. So much of the TSA is nonsense, reactive, and a sham. If they were really serious about security they would listen to those road warriors out there who travel many countries by asking them on a panel. We all know it's about money and not about security, IMHO.

8. RSSrsvp
    Original Member

RSSrsvp Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is nothing said here on FF sites like MP that haven't already been printed in newspapers, magazines and broadcast on TV.

Dovster and secretsea18 like this.
  9. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you serious or just posting nonsense to get more posts and hence points?

slice19, midoriw and Sam Axe like this.
  10. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    A call to shut-down such internet websites? [That has been tried by that mad-dog Qaddafi in Libya and it seems like that country is more in danger than it was before he had the plug pulled on access to the internet, FF sites included, no thanks to him.]

The problem are those who think "security" comes by way of ignorance and/or obscurity even when the means of "security" are publicly-visible. Shutting down FF sites like this one won't achieve sustainable national security objectives.

11. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dunno, if I were a terrorist, I'd definitely want to get the skinny on the best lounges. If you're gonna go, you might as well go in style.

Mike

hulagrrl210 and Muerl like this.
  12. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think anyone can learn a few things about all of the elements of flying on any of the FF sites. We should remember that a good number of the 9/11 terrorists flew in F. If the authorities aren't being diligent about checking passengers then what is commonly shared on FF sites won't make any true difference at all.

13. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Past history shows that, when needed, terrorist are not short of funds. Why would they not just purchase an F ticket and use the FCT too? Why give anyone a chance to see your flying patterns before you do anything?

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Past history also shows the 9/11 bad guys did dry runs. Google James Woods and 9/11 to see.

Discussion boards are nothing. The TSA has already let stupid out of the bag when they got careless with their own SOP being released. It doesn't take an idiot to figure out holes from that alone.

FetePerfection, Dovster and diver90 like this.
  15. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm adding this phrase to my lexicon. [​IMG]

16. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, they aren't.

Nothing that gets shared on a FF site is going to be particularly relevant to real issues of national security and the fact that you think it might be shows that the TSA has already won because you're equating passenger or airplane safety with national security.

Those are two very different ideas and the only reason they've become conflated is that, as a panicked reaction to 9/11, airport security was stupidly included in the DHS portfolio.

Beyond that though, the idea that a terrorist attack on air travel would have anything to do with the things we talk about--that is, it would originate from someone screened as a passenger on that plane--is re-fighting the last war.

So, again, no they aren't.

17. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Past history -- 9/11 included -- also shows that neither "dry runs" nor sites like FT or MP are needed for attacks to occur. On the eve of 9/11, FT and other sites focused on air travel were a shadow of what they have become and yet no such whopping, awful large-scale criminal incidents in the US since. No thanks to the TSA.

18. DesertRose
    Original Member

DesertRose Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the bad guys come, I am confident that you will smack them with your pan and all will be well. [​IMG]

19. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess terrorists could read FF fora to find out how to polish their "DYKWIA" activities and to be totally obnoxious and demanding, get upgrades and get lounge access (suicide bombers do not need lifetime status ;)) - but other than that, I suspect they might find pilot, aviation and similar fora - and training programs! - much more productive, not to mention actual observation by sending idiots such as the shoe and underpants bombers to be their willing guinea pigs. IMO:

"Much ado about nothing" - William Shakespeare

bluesky likes this.
  20. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The terrorists only read other sites. This is a new site where everyone gets along.

21. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, bear in mind that terrorism - for all the hoopla - is a miniscule threat, and certainly not a growing one on planes. The 1970-80s really were the heyday for hijacking planes. Since 2001, there have been only a handful all incidents, all without deaths.

Meanwhile, jacking up airport security has just pushed attacks to the next-best targets - public transport, open places, airports before the security line etc. This is all entirely predictable, of course, but it doesn't seem to alter political priorities.

22. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps you are correct, but so what if so called terrorist groups obtain information from FF sites in order to accomplish whatever it is they feel they need to?

In my opinion, my freedom to say what I like, when I like and to whomever I like trumps any security concerns, faux or legitimate.

23. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree completely, and said as much to a TSO poster on FT. I'd rather live in a free society than a perfectly safe one.

Nice to see you over here!

PhlyingRPh likes this.
  24. There is always some risk. But honestly, Commercial entities and Governments themselves deploy tools, tracking and wonderful public access applications that a bad guy can leverage to real effect. FF is probably pretty marginal, since flying in general is one of the most hardened targets.

Increasing security doesn't have nearly the value of an alert and articulate public, as it is people that will prevent an incident since the government cannot be everywhere.

There are Nuclear storage depots, Power and Water plants and biological labs around the world with fewer guards (or nearly none) than a typical airport has.

JDiver and PhlyingRPh like this.
  25. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would hope that the TSA would have people looking online for information that could present threats to their current policies and procedures (published and unpublished). If anything, they should be learning from the expertise of the members within the FF sites. It might be wishful thinking, but it seems like common sense.

JDiver likes this.