Are cheap long-haul flights coming soon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/are-cheap-long-haul-flights-coming-soon/21840

A number of budget airlines have tried to bring their no-frills service to long-distance flights. In the past it hasn’t worked out very well. Laker Airlines was the first to try it with a route between London and New York City in the late 70s, but the company went under less than five years later. More recently Oasis Hong Kong Airlines launched low-cost services between Hong Kong and London and Vancouver. Oasis only lasted three years. And, just last year, Malaysia’s AirAsia X stopped flights to Europe to focus on mid-range flights throughout Asia.

Despite all the unsuccessful attempts in the past, Norwegian Air Shuttle (NAS) — the fourth largest budget carrier in Europe — sees a market for long-haul budget airlines and it intends on taking advantage.

Read More: http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/bulletin/are-cheap-long-haul-flights-coming-soon/21840

uggboy likes this.
  2. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Their is lots of website who provides us Cheap tickets on the different level of time also provides lots of offers.

anileze likes this.
  3. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So what confused me about this is the AirAsiaX still flies OOL-KUL which is a good 300mi longer than OSL-NYC and JetStar offers SIN-AKL which is only about 250mi shorter than OSL-BKK

Clearly Europe to Asia is a different market, but still, both Air Asia and Jet Star offer intercontinental flight in what is basically an LCC.

anileze likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't Air Asia.X a differently incorporated company ?

Muerl likes this.
  5. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Asia and Air Asia X are different companies with close relationships and similar ownership structure, but it was Air Asia X flew OOL-KUL-LON. (and ORY i think) They cut the second leg of that trip.

anileze likes this.
  6. lsed

lsed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown a handful of times on LCCs, twice were on Norwegian Air and they are a fantastic LCC.
    Free wifi onboard, new 738s. Beats the s*** out of Easyjet.

Even compared to SAS, I think Norwegian is a better airline (on the route I took: ARN - CPH return)