Are British Airways avios worth the high spend requirement?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by solrebel, Aug 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. solrebel

solrebel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recentlly got the BOAC Chase card with the 50K mile bonus and i am wondering if the additional 25K avios are worth the 10k spend requirement. I would like to travel to Egypt and also to South America at some point and i have heard avios can be useful for some of these routes. I'm not sure if i should commit to the spend or build up my portfolio with some other ff currency.

perryplatypus and marcwint55 like this.
  2. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where are you flying from?wouldn't recommend to use them to Egypt from anywhere in the US since BA is charging pretty high fuel surcharges on flights to/through europe.to south america they are more valuable since you can fly for 25k on economy but of course you get the most bang for your buck on short haul (even better on premium tickets) once you there.even that some people aren't huge fans of avios i personally like them and would definately go for the extra 25k(i'm doing the same:)

PS:another option is combine the two trips.get to south america w miles( or simply buying a one way ticket).then book your trip to Egypt from Rio for example because than you don't have to pay any fuel surcharges on flights originating from Brazil.of course thats only possible if you have a decent amount of avios to burn....

3. solrebel

solrebel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Im flying from Washington DC. I have heard about the BA fuel surcharges. I hadn't thought about combining the trips and going to Egypt from Rio....i think that would be a pretty cool trip though. Thanx.

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are going to spend the money, they are well worth it. I personally value them at two cents each meaning you will have $500.00 in value or a 5% rebate on $10,000 in purchases. They certainly are not worth spending money that you weren't already going to spend.

perryplatypus and solrebel like this.
  5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    @marwint55 for example im gonna use them on a HKG-KIX flight on CX business for only 20k.i guess its only depends on each person plans and travel needs:)

6. solrebel

solrebel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeahhh...i wanted to get at least 75k avios out of the card. They seem like good currency. i'm just probably a little too eager to get started earning on some other cards.

marcwint55 and perryplatypus like this.
  7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use the card for the annual 2-4-1 coupon. Assuming I use them for F travel to Europe (which is typically what I do), that makes a 120,000 mile bonus annually for $30k in spend. (I do have to pay the other than trivial fees...but a big chunk of the fee is the UK landing tax which you have to pay with nearly any carrier's award.)

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only for departures from the UK. If you go to continental Europe the APD doesn't apply, even connecting through the UK. And landing in the UK doesn't incur the fee either.

I don't think it is worth pushing the spend to earn Avios if your goal is long-haul travel. The value of the points is limited relative to other points due to the YQ charges. Yes, it means getting a different card (or cards) to get points in a different program but that's still a better play IMO.

perryplatypus and NYBanker like this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're looking to go to London with a companion in a premium cabin from NY, with this coupon, it is the best deal going. It is not free as to cash by any stretch, but the availability is great, and the miles cost is only 60k per seat round trip for F tickets from JFK with the coupon.

marcwint55 and daninstl like this.
  10. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or long haul through Asia. :-:

(I wouldn't recommend redeeming for coach as I did for one segment, but I happened to have the miles and hemmed and hawed long enough that biz was no longer available.)

11. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
  12. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm new to redeeming Avios, but I thought BA charged high YQ on all long-haul flights, Europe or not.

Why more valuable to South America?

So premium short-haul within a region is the best use? (Not premium domestic U.S. of course since it's charged as first class when it's really domestic business).

No YQ on long-haul flights from Brazil?

Sent from my iPod Touch using milepoint

Flying Bat and perryplatypus like this.
  13. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    The worst are Europe, but they also have (partner) flights to some truly interesting destinations that *A doesn't have. Galapagos, for example.

14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    <---- Or IPC ;)

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's where my Avios are gonna take me in 2014. I was hoping to go from IPC-PPT, too.

16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a Qantas 747 earlier this year that flew EZE-IPC-SYD. Unfortunately, a charter, so not redeemable with miles :(

17. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:

Flying Bat and marcwint55 like this.
  18. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:

Flying Bat and marcwint55 like this.
  19. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have found using avios to be good for me traveling to europe, we are a family of 3 and it is very difficult to find 3 tickets to europe in First, except on BA it seems pretty easy. so for the price of a discounted coach seat and some Avios we fly in first.

20. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We used Avios for the Galapagos in July. Three business class from Avios and two business class from Aadvantage. It was a great use of the miles.

Mikus33 and anabolism like this.
  21. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I beg to differ Mr Banker. LHR SVO business class 40000 with only a small associated charge probably enjoys the title of the "best banker". Of course there is the separate matter of Russian Visa fees.

22. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    My home airport is BWI. Thus far I can't figure out how to use my Avios without positioning. Long term trip goal is to EVE, but these are all connections through Madrid?? I'm gonna have to go back to Avios school. I can't figure out how to use them except for AA domestic rewards.

23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You should be able to "position" to DCA -- and that's a short drive so I use the word freely here :)

And did you mean EVE or EZE?

24. stavraetos

stavraetos Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure about the high spend requirement, like someone else mentioned, depends on how much you spend regardless. For me, I'm very selective with 10k requirements because I don't have business expenses to charge and even with all the tricks for getting up spending 10k is still a lot for me. However, I think Avios are extremely useful if you use them wisely. TPG has a good series about maximizing them that would inform your decision:

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/07/max...flights-london-stopovers-and-uk-destinations/

25. 98mike

98mike Silver Member

Status Points:
    I meant EZE.
    I would think the BA site would pull in local ports like dca, but I guess not. I just want to go to Buenos!!!