Are Boutique Hotels Boutique Anymore?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Dec 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    On Monday I posted about the news that IHG is acquiring Kimpton Hotels for $430 million. Yep, the world's largest hotel chain is taking over the world's first boutique hotel chain. To me this was a really logical move, even though admittedly most Kimpton loyalists will be unhappy about it. As I explained, this probably isn't good news for those that were loyal to Kimpton, though for people like me, it's great news. I can be at least semi-loyal to IHG Rewards Club given how big their portfolio is, but I can't really stay at Kimpton properties enough to be loyal to them, given their lack of a footprint... as much as I'd like to be. So for my personal travel patterns I'm happy about this takeover, even without taking into account the potential ramifications of this on loyalty programs. Skift has a thought provoking article about how boutique hotels have "evolved" and come full circle, and questions what constitutes a boutique hotel nowadays. The post Are Boutique Hotels Boutique Anymore? appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...