Are Bose QC15's THAT bad or is it just my luck?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Always Be Flying, Oct 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a pair of QC2's for about 7 years and they were excellent, even after I had to tape the headset back together from being broken they sounded great.

I upgraded to QC15 and the 1st pair blew out in 3 weeks - loose pieces in both speakers and poor sound quality. To their credit, Bose simply handed me a new set no questions asked after a store rep tested them.

The 2nd set doesn't have loose pieces/rattling bass (yet) but the sound quality is still quite poor. Lots of hissing and the noise canceling is not as strong as the QC2.

Have other people had these problems? For those who have also had the QC2 how would you compare the two models? I am seriously looking at comparable Sennheiser's with a Shure in-ear backup at this point.

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have owned the QC2, the QC3, and now have had the QC 15 for over 100,000 flying miles. I replaced the QC2 for the 3 after years of use; the QC3 were replaced after I wore out the ear cushions.

I have had no issues with the QC 15 at all. I cannot speak for others, but mine are working overtime for me.

I find the sound quality on the 15 to be better for me than either previous models. None of what you describe. Unfortunate you are having these issues.

[Sent from my milePoint enabled iPhone]

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    No issues on my side for the QC15s either. I personally like the over the ear vs. in ear product for an extended period of time (comfort issue on my side).

4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Initially I did like the 2. I do agree that they were not as comfortable for long hauls. I really like the 15's :)

[Sent from my milePoint enabled iPhone]

5. travlr

travlr Silver Member

Status Points:
    The QC15s messes with my ears too much for some reason. I tried them out on an AA flight, it added a weird "spacey" feel/pressure to my ears. On the flights, I tried out like 4-5 different QC15s because of weird hissing and just generally bad sound quality on one side.

I've been looking at QC3s, how is the sound leakage to the outside with them? Like can people nearby hear what you're listening to and stuff?

Scottrick likes this.
  6. My QC15's work just fine but I've been thinking the in ear ones might be better for sleeping with headsets on when using the lie flat seats. Thoughts?

7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree - if you sleep on your side - on the AC lie flat seats up front the headphones are not something you want to sleep on. If you sleep on your back (or can) then it would not be an issue. This would be true for any on ear or over ear headphones I guess.

8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am now a user of the blackbox M16, and actually find it superior to the BOSE in terms of comfort, noise cancellation, and build quality. In addition, it has a microphone attachment if you want (included) so it can be used for skype/etc with a PC, Iphone, or Ipad. Really one of the best travel finds this year for me.

9. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am really liking my QC15s. If you are getting hissing when you are in a quiet room then they are not working properly. If it is on a plane it may be that the NC microphones are picking up the air vent blowing at you and are over compensating creating a hissing sound. I have had that problem before though it usually solves itself if I move my head from under the vent.

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is why I won't buy them. Earplugs when I'm sleeping and earbuds when I'm awake seem to work better.

11. tomphot

tomphot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love my QC15s - have had them since doing a trade from my originals.
    I've had no issues.

12. 77eltigre

77eltigre New Member

Status Points:
    Hay I also have the Bose qc15 and when I listen to my music through itunes almost all my roc scongs the base is disorted

13. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try adjusting your eq settings on your iPod. Then try listening to a real CD and not an MPEG and see what the difference is. I've found that it's the format (MPEG vs CD) that makes a big difference. Trade some sound quality for convenience.

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not so much the format as the compression ratio.

An encoded file can outperform a CD as there is no degradation in information through data transfer- as an example most music is edited digitally at this point and mastered digitally which is a compressed file (maybe a different codec however same idea).

I also find the Bose to be a bit on the poor side for sound reproduction- have been much happier since switching to the blackbox m16's. Some people just use for noise cancellation however which is a different issue.

15. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone using the AKGK480NC?