Are Book and Hotel Reviews for Sale?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Aug 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Are Book and Hotel Reviews for Sale?:confused:

Have you ever wondered if those reviews you read on Amazon, TripAdvisor and Yelp are for real? Well, I have and, according to a story in the New York Times, many of them are bought and paid for.

The Times story says it found an ad on Craigslist that read: "If you have an active Yelp account and would like to make very easy money please respond."

Another woman quoted by name says she worked for a "review factory" (whatever that is) where she was paid $10 each to pump out five-star reviews. She says she wasn't required to churn out great reviews but, if not, she was asked to turn down the assignment. Huh?

Anyway, like most authors, I read my Amazon reviews regularly and, even when they're not five-star reviews, I appreciate those that are well-written and have something cogent to say. I've never paid anyone to write a good review but I have asked friends to write reviews if they've read and enjoyed the books. Why not?

Kalboz likes this.