Are bloggers ruining Milepoint????

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MileMonster, May 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. MileMonster

MileMonster Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't the "bloggers" create milepoint along with Randy? I'm happy...

3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Jeanne23

Jeanne23 Silver Member

Status Points:
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like the same whining that you can hear around here too, that all non-"special" people know the tricks now too and how that's unfair to those that remember the good ol' times. Welcome to information age, where everyone can access it.

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like it or not, information wants to be free.

7. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    just cite the sources of info and I'm happy! and that doesn't mean one blogger referencing another when info has been on here or FT for a day or three, first

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This brings me back to the thread we had here this spring about the posts that are nothing more than advertisements for blogs, including the large signature lines with redirects to the blogger's website.

joesmoe, rwoman, aptraveler and 3 others like this.
  9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's kind of funny to see people posting on public bulletin boards like MP and FT which can be accessed by anyone with internet and English proficiency around the world (only a billion people or so :D) and then complaining that the info they have is being spread too widely.

10. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    But then again, some of those people are complaining quite a bit about anything being shared on the actual message board rather than just via private message with other "worthy" members.

joesmoe, akcae, aptraveler and 5 others like this.
  11. miles and smiles
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Golly! I had no idea that James Worthy was into this stuff. I gotta do a better job of keeping up with my fellow Carolinians. :p

12. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone can be a Shill with a Broadband connection and a computer these days sheesh.

tondoleo, LETTERBOY and desamo like this.
  13. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that's a different issue entirely and a more real one.

14. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I mostly want to be able to ignore some blogs without ignoring posts.

15. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As the Water Boy's mammmma said, "Bloggers are the devil!". :p

16. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Actually, a few thoughts. Online forums tend to reveal and attract a variety of posters, posters of many different experiences and different ways to present a view. Bloggers tend to be more consistent, that is, you become familiar with the experience of the person, their level of expertise and follow a blogger because you happen to feel they have value to you as a traveler. In an online forum, it's not typical that you can shut out the other "voices" of posters and as such, it is far more noise than signal (and frankly that is merely the elements of online forums and in general the Internet). With a blogger, it is far more signal than noise. The actual general trend is that travelers are actually enjoying reading blogs with more frequency. Take a look at this chart. Since it was mentioned in the OP regarding FlyerTalk and Milepoint is a bit new to really consider statistically, here's a comparison of the "reach" of FlyerTalk (an online forum) and BoardingArea (a blogger portal/host):
    alexaBA.png
    What you notice is that it appears that FlyerTalk peaked in it's general "reach" early in 2011 and has entered a gradual decline of "reach" while BoardingArea has experienced over that same period a general increase in "reach". It does point out that despite the use of Twitter/Facebook as competition for the topic of travel, one obviously is increasing in "reach" while the other seems to be in a decline of "reach". (Note: this is not a comment on FlyerTalk, just trying to use real world info on where the impact of blogs may be going)

So, regardless of the opinion, I actually don't see bloggers as ruining Milepoint or any other online forum. I see bloggers becoming more "trusted" as a reference on where one gets their travel information. And despite the constat reference to credit card pitches, I just looked on BoardingArea a few minutes ago and of the 22 blog posts featured at the moment, not a single one was a shill about a credit card promo. They will likely be there when it is appropriate, but they aren't there 24/7.

And not all bloggers are the same, but typically they all have a slightly different twist on the news of the day, sort of like reading the New York Times vs. USA Today vs. The Orange County Register or even The Wall Street Journal. Some stories will apear in all editions, others won't. And unless it was an AP feed, it will often contain a little bit different read.

Anyway, the idea of bloggers diluting the information and cherry-picking threads. Seems to me that anyone who has vehemently complained about long threads would love the fact that someone, anyone, took the time to read the long thread and digest it into a format where the signal of the thread was able to be read — minus the noise. But despite some references that bloggers are amateurs, frankly, many of them are active in online forums and are no more amateur than any other member. And while not "professional" in the true sense of the word, their passion and insight is hardly amateurism. What they do is temper their enthusiasm with some research and presentinformation that can be digested and actually used. Really, I can't remember the last time, if ever, i read a blog that was taken off-topic by readers, subject to snarky exchanges within the blog post and closed for moderation. I obviously applaud bloggers and will continue to support them. Now, having said that, I am aware of at least one very popular blog that in my mind, did use FlyerTalk as their unattributed resource to create blog posts and thus became an accidental "expert." I was not happy seeing that happen and certainly do not read the blog which BTW is not hosted by BoardingArea. As well, I can point out that when a blog that was hosted on BoardingArea proved to copy information from unattributed sources, I dismissed the blog from BoardingArea. I am a strong proponent that everyone that posts to an online forum owns their information. Now, at the same time, I am inherently aware that a thought, an idea or a post about something travel related is typically hardly unique. With millions of frequent flyers out there often experiencing the very same news and changes and practices of travel, many will come to the same conclusion. Trust me, no one really has a license to think that a change to the fine print in a bonus offer is a single person's. So, what some people see as bloggers ruining Milepoint, etc. I think what they might be missing is that online forums themselves might be the reason why bloggers are growing in popularity. After you've been online for a while, there are some who do prefer the noise-to-signal, but for a vast majority, signal-to-noise is much better and if I find that from reading a blog, then so be it. I know of a growing number of frequent flyers who have become just as smart and at times even smarter just by reading one or two blogs vs. those who read online forums and not blogs.

OK, I'm all over the place, but consider this: bloggers don't ruin forums nor do forums ruin bloggers. Video might have killed the Radio Star, but no one here killed/ruined the other resource of travel information.

I'll add more as i think this over but had a few minutes and thought I'd add my general thoughts.

17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent post overall, but this is I believe the most important part. I'm not a fan of the 8,300 different blogs hosted under the BoardingArea banner -- might be more actually -- primarily because they tend to rehash a lot of the information available here plus having a proper discussion about the topic is basically impossible.

But with that said, I do appreciate that at times you can get a solid trip review or a good breakdown of a promo/offer/whatever dissected from a somewhat-objective POV -- case in point the recent US Travel / Daily Getaways deals and their breakdown by cpm, redemption opportunities for the different programs, etc.

joesmoe, Sean Colahan, rwoman and 2 others like this.
  18. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    My philosophy is ....if you don't like blogs....just don't read them. :)

19. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Simple enough, but the actual complaint is about their existence, not about reading them. Need to keep our "precious" secrets of mile/points/sleep deprivation accumulation hidden from the world!

Scottrick and tondoleo like this.
  20. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is why some private websites exist.....away from the masses. I am specifically thinking about mistake in fares etc. ;)

joesmoe, Sean Colahan and tondoleo like this.
  21. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    This common complaint reminds me of the scientific literature. A lot of research is locked up in expensive publishing databases, which is why there is always a push to make sure that federally funded work (most of it) remains freely accessible. And yet, it can still be hard to find, which is why people write review articles summarizing lots of other papers. The review articles are helpful and let you get the information you want quickly without going directly to the source. Sometimes reviews even alert you to papers you never knew existed.

FlyerTalk is like the giant masses of primary literature that are publicly listed, sometimes free, but always hard to sift through. As long as the blogger cites the original source (and I try), I don't see a problem. That's the blogger's job, to collect and disseminate information. Not all of it is new, but some is, and I think that's just an added bonus.

You can create private sites if you wish, but then it will be harder to share with other people.

22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of my posts was quoted in a blog, but the blogger asked permission first. I was OK with this since it was acknowledged, although I did stipulate that the blogger check that doing this would not violate any MP rules. It wasn't any sort of a secret, just a heads-up reminder about the deadline for something with some details about the choices and a brief discussion of whether next year's choice should be made early or late. It must have been about 200 words. Not a big deal, but I would have been furious if the material had been quoted verbatim without permission and an acknowledgement.

23. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Randy, to play devil's advocate here, how many blogs under BoardingArea were there from 2Q 2011 thru present day? Or what percentage increase?

Also, MP really got underway around that same time frame, yes? Wouldn't that be a small reason for decreased FT traffic?

joesmoe and Sean Colahan like this.
  24. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I look at it like this: I have over 300 channels on my TV. I'll some times see a commercial for for example Bravo while watching Seinfeld on TBS. I'm not switching to Bravo in a million years.

Same thing with bloggers. Sure I'll take a peek at new bloggers, but in most cases, there'll be only one peek and if I see a signature or a shameless plug in a post, I just ignore it and keep doing what I'm doing on milepoint.

The bloggers I love (Gary, Brian, Pizza, Seth and more) I read every day on my own, don't need a plug to check them out. They are bookmarked because they deserve attention.

Thanks for the link, original poster of this thread and welcome to milepoint. A better add for milepoint would be hard to find ;)

25. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would say that bloggers complement a forum. The point is to disseminate information at a faster pace than say a search engine would.(search engine spiders a forum and takes a while before gets up the SERPS ladder, whereas a blog post RSS feed gets indexed at a faster rate and they tend to be weighted more higher than a forum post) Some folks are not too keen to get out of their comfort zone so to speak, but things evolve.

Sean Colahan likes this.