Are Belgians doomed?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by alextam, Sep 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. alextam

alextam Member

Status Points:
    Hi all!

I just recently crashed on Milepoint to discover and read all those amazing stories you guys encountered in the 'taking a flight'-game! While I understand the game, in order to enjoy luxury traveling, you'll have to carefully think about every coin (either dollar or euro) you spend for earning those extra miles! However in a country like Belgium where there are rarely any opportunities to earn extra miles, I was wondering if any of you have some suggestions for increasing the miles or chances for getting a status upgrade. Up till now, I have only discovered the AMEX card (partnership with Brussels Airlines) to earn me a little bit of those precious extra miles. Since I am completely new here (first post), I am curious about how you guys can give some advice in winning this game!

Cheers!

2. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!
    I live in SIN and we do not have any fanciful credit cards too.
    Unfortunately, neither is travelling a core part of my work.
    However, the travel bug bit me 5 years back and I am doing more MR (mileage / mattress runs) then I care to admit.
    If you like the game, then just enjoy the journey.
    I would say just watch out for global promotions, especially for hotel chains.
    They help to accelerate your earnings.
    Otherwise, we are "doomed".
    I do love Belgian chocolates :D

Lionell, Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  3. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi @alextam and welcome to the forum!
    I live in Belgium as well and the only way for me to score some miles with a creditcard is the Amex card from Brussels Airlines, specifically the Premium Express card. I've been able to rack up 88k in miles by using it on everything I can pay with the Amex card, even groceries in local supermarkets.

Since yesterday there is also a Dutch version of Insideflyer, where there are some topics on it.

4. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi,

Having just left Belgium ... some thoughts to consider.

If you can have a Dutch or French bank account, you can look into the Flying Blue AMEX card as well.

In terms of frequent flyer programs, do consider Flying Blue if you fly within Europe. Qualifying on segments can be a good thing (I've done numerous BRU-AMS-FRA-AMS-BRU trips).

Hotel-wise, if you want to use Marriott MegaBonus promotions and you get a stay-based one, the BRU Renaissance regularly has very interesting weekend rates (in the range EUR 79-99) which can help with status.

Just some thoughts, but yes, outside the US, getting into the status game can be more of a challenge.

GenevaFlyer

B1BomberVB and Lionell like this.
  5. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those in DUB/AMS/BRU are lucky as most of the better premium cabin TATL fares are from one of those airports. Great for premium cabin MRs.

6. allytraveler

allytraveler Active Member

Status Points:
    Good luck!

7. alextam

alextam Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys for the great tips! I just applied for the Amex card, hopefully I can collect enough miles before my next trip! :D