Are all BA.com bookings in GBP?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by sunny_sc, Jan 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are all British Airways bookings done in GBP even if the amount is quoted in USD? I just got hit with a foreign transaction fee charge of 2% on my US Cash+ card. I had chosen airlines for my 5% category so I was really excited about getting ~$100 back... and now that its cut to ~3% after the fee I wish that I had used my Chase Sapphire card instead!

Is this just a newbie mistake? :p

sobore, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  2. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    After reading some FT threads, I believe this is true. It appears that with most of the card issuers now, it only depends on where the transaction is processed, and that's in GBP, regardless of what you're shown on the screen. What you're shown is merely the converted rate based on the currency of the flight origin.

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  3. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    I recently searched for a hotel and the site mentioned that the rate was converted into USD for convenience (at the current exchange rate). Maybe BA has a similar disclaimer buried somewhere on the page.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. andrewhyde

andrewhyde Active Member

Status Points:
    I looked at this for booking a BA r/t LHR-JFK testing out the BA Visa 10% discount "CARDOFFERU"

It didn't work because the price wasn't quoted in USD, but tried JFK-LHR and the 10% displayed as working.

So, depends on where the flight is originating?

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    To follow up here -- when I called BA Exec Club, the agent told me that they process the tickets out of their NY office and that I shouldn't be charged a foreign transaction fee.

I had to change a ticket, so here's what my statement showed, with #s used in place of digits:

1) Award Ticket booked online -- with USA/English at the top header
    British A######### London Gb

2) Award Ticket booked over the phone by calling the US British Airways Exec Club line
    British A####### ######## Ny
    I'm going to call US Bank to see if they'll remove the FT fee but I'm not optimistic.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. a card issuer Foreign Transaction Charge (FTC) is normally changed on the basis of where the card is processed, not the currency of issue. Some hotels chains and airlines do process all their cards through a single global center, in which case you'll pay that charge, if applicable, unless your card was issued in the country where the acquirer (merchant processor) is based. If your card does not charge FTC you'll not have a charge.

sobore likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That fee, called Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) is a fee, officially by customer option but often in mouse print, charged by the merchant the state the charge in your home currency rather than theirs. That is a rip-off, usually with 4-5% or so added to the normal card rates of the day. Your issuing bank will usually still charge a FTC when you have a DCC, so you'll pay twice.

sobore likes this.
  8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a BA issue, not your bank. The bank might waive the fee as a courtesy, or you might change cards to one that is Foreign Transaction Fee free. The latter solution is good for the longer term. BA might reverse the UK charge and replace it with a US one, but I would not count on that. Your bank is probably the best choice, as you say.

sobore likes this.
  9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the overall advice for booking a flight with an overseas carrier?
    When you visit the website of a foreign carrier you usually specify your location (via drop down or radio button).
    Does this automatically invoke the currancy conversion with a fee?