Are Airlines Cracking Down On Throwaway Ticketing?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by BoardingArea, Jul 20, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. BoardingArea

BoardingArea News Feed

Status Points:
    There's a lot which frustrates consumers about airlines. We've seen airfare increase significantly recently as airlines are turning record profits. But I think the frustration doesn't just come from airfare going up (which is perfectly reasonable, since the cost of airfare isn't pegged to the cost of providing it, but rather to supply/demand), but rather from how irrational airline pricing is. As a passenger it's tough to rationalize how a ticket from San Diego to Los Angeles could cost more than a ticket from San Diego to Honolulu. For example, I book a lot of tickets originating in Cairo and Colombo, since paid first & business class fares are cheap out of there. I fly all the segments of the ticket, and am not in any way violating any airline rules. Is having to position to Cairo or Colombo the most convenient thing in the world? Not really. But it's totally worth the cost savings to me. Oh, and I do love staying at Le Meridien Cairo Airport. If you want to take that a step further, some people will do throwaway ticketing, which does violate airline rules. In other words, a ticket on American from Los Angeles to Chicago to Detroit might be cheaper than a ticket just from Los Angeles to Chicago. Generally speaking airlines have higher fares between their own hubs on nonstop flights. The post Are Airlines Cracking Down On Throwaway Ticketing? appeared first on One Mile at a Time.

Continue reading...