Are AC legal connections times realistic ?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by milchap, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reason that I ask the question is that I have a booking that has encountered the dreaded summer schedule change.

It is an international flight into the USA connecting to a flight to Canada. The original flight had a three hour window. The revised itinerary now has the connection down to an hour and a half.

Given the present travel/security enviroment, this is really cutting too close for comfort.

Hence my question: Are AC legal connections times realistic given present day travel challenges.

fly-yul likes this.
  2. fly-yul
    Original Member

fly-yul Active Member

Status Points:
    First off anyone interested in the official minimum connection times should have a look at this link from ac.com.

There are several factors I would be looking at when deciding what connection time is reasonable. 1) Who is flying 2) Do you have checked bags 3) Do you need to clear or pre-clear 4) Does everyone traveling have NEXUS 5) Do you have access to priority security lines.

You probably also know, but having a schedule change puts you in the driver's seat with AC. You should be able to make changes to your routing without any fees or penalties or be offered a refund.

rehoult and ACMM like this.
  3. Time of day and day of week is also a factor. If you hit a Sunday where everyone is returning home for work on Monday, it may get backed up. Personally I would get Nexus, than you should have no problem making the connection.

4. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think another factor would be which US airport you would be connecting through. If it were for example, SFO, I might be more inclined to say you are better off than say, ORD.

5. todd-r
    Original Member

todd-r Active Member

Status Points:
    I have a flight in May YVR/YEG/LHR. Due to a sked change my YEG/LHR connection is now down to 36 minutes. AC min connection time Can to Int'l in YEG is 35 minutes. There really isn't much room for error on this one (which may be a good thing)!

loadera likes this.
  6. Cage
    Original Member

Cage Silver Member

Status Points:
    If the connection time changes due to schedule change, then call AC and see wht tey can do for you (e.g. earlier flight).

To fully determine whether thwe 1.5 hour connection is probable the OP should post routing and connection airport. Example a SYD-LAX-YYC routing could be problematic as the OP would have to change terminals The connection is still doable but at a minimum the OP would be walking throughout the connection to get from T7 and has no time for the Koru Club in T2. SFO on the other hand is no problem with a 1.5 hour cnx.

loadera likes this.
  7. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm curious about one thing. The OP said their flight is international -> USA -> Canada right? I'm not a Nexus holder, so I'm not too aware of these things, but I'm not sure how Nexus will help. My understanding is that almost all international points of entry into the US is separated into only two lines -- US/Canada Citizens+Green Card or "Everyone Else". Does Nexus allow expedited border crossing from an international flight??

loadera likes this.
  8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nexus does not work for clearance at US airports from international flights. It is only used at the Canadian border and Canadian airports. There is a global traveler program which is available for US citizens who are returning to the US.

loadera likes this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually Global Entry (which I think you are referring to) is now available free to Canadian NEXUS holders so they should be able to use that coming into the USA from an International destination. Many of us received emails and cards in the mail stating this new feature and my Nexus account now shows me as having GE also and I did nothing.

Chimpy and loadera like this.
  10. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    However, the communications have been rather confusing so it's not completely clear whether you actually have to do something to activate the Global Entry capability. I'm planning to stop in at the Nexus office next week when I'm actually at the airport during their opening hours.

loadera likes this.
  11. YVR Traveller

YVR Traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Every airport is different. My last experience with AC connection times at YYZ makes me think that they are much too short, as we only cleared US customs an hour after our plane was supposed to leave. The worst part is, AC really couldn't care less while we waited. Protect yourself if the connection is important.

loadera and Monkey Girl like this.
  12. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going into the US, I would only take a connection that was > 3 hours, because I've experienced some of the worst waits. Remember, you can spend extra time in the Maple Leaf Lounge if you actually clear quickly. For connecting from International to Canada, it really depends on the time of day at YYZ. For most of the day you are fine, but from 3-5pm, you need to book a lot of extra time as I have seen it where the customs line is out the hall and there is a huge mass at the top of the escalators just to get down into the hall.

YVR Traveller and loadera like this.
  13. i would change a flight...

14. Monkey Girl
    Original Member

Monkey Girl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I missed my connection at ORD (to Canada from International) even though I had a two-hour window. Immigration took a ridiculous amount of time - and I was just transiting! [​IMG]

Chimpy and loadera like this.
  15. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    So would Global Entry have helped here? Do they have the kiosks in ORD?

16. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    Weather at certain time of the year is also a factor.

Chimpy likes this.
  17. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately ORD is one of the worst arrival airports for international arrivals, and unlike many countries in the world, there is not separation between domestic and international departures, so you must fully clear customs. That is also why many people try to avoid connecting from an international flight, to another flight out of the US.

Chimpy likes this.
  18. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree with this post. Just to be safe, I would probably see about changing flights to allow me a bit more connection time. Like has been mentioned, you always have the MLL to ease any wait. [​IMG]

Chimpy likes this.
  19. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experiences posted in the Nexus thread:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...on-thread-for-ac-flyers.900/page-4#post-49608

20. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always like to take flights that have a longer connection time if possible than the minimum recommended. I don't need anymore stress and hey i like to have my bags join me on my trips:D

When i hear "let me see if that is a valid connection?" it just makes me worry.

ACMM likes this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree 100% But then we would, wouldn't we ;)

22. SYM
    Original Member

SYM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, but as others have posted, the legal connection times are fixed - they don't (nor could they) adjust to suit the specific circumstances. YYZ Domestic to transborder is 1 hr 5 or 1 hr 10. I used to do this at 7 am and it is was about right. This year I've started doing it at 10 am. It is easily 30-45 minutes longer than I need. Whether or not to push depends very much on the time of day and day of the week.

23. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, I may make it, but my luggage could have gone on a roulette wheel of chance in making it to the same flight!