Are AA bump vouchers transferable?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Jun 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was bumped on the way home from London last summer along with a friend. I've long since used my voucher on a Dublin trip, but my friend's voucher is due to expire in two months and he has no plans to use it (which calls into question why he even volunteered to begin with, but we can leave that for another time). He does have a family member (different last name that does not reside at his address) that might be able to use it for travel to Europe in late July.

Can he apply his bump voucher to someone else's reservation? If so, would he need to put the entire payment on his credit card when the voucher is applied, or is there some way to have the traveling party pay the balance due with their own credit card?

New terrain for me as I've never held onto a bump voucher for more than a few months and I've always used them for my own travel.

karung99 likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Flyerguide page on Vouchers states:

While discount vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher (either by phone or personally at a ticket counter/office). If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Vouchers_(AA)

karung99 and iolaire like this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So it sounds like the person who holds the voucher also has to pay for the ticket in this case? I don't see a workaround for the person flying to pay the balance.

karung99 likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That seems correct. They'd have to work it out on the back end (or even the front end if they research the cost first)... but that's a pretty simple thing to do.

5. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure about AA, on UA several years ago I was able to use the voucher from a friend who signed a letter stating he is gifting it to me. I took the voucher with letter get a ticket at ticket counter.

6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have no experience with vouchers except what I've learned from the experience of others over the years, so I have no idea. Based on the wording above, I could see the possibility of someone presenting their voucher at an AA ticketing desk at the airport or a CTO and then having the person traveling paying the remainder/taxes.

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    What happens if you call and try to do the purchase with the passenger's credit card? Will AA agents allow this?

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Many airlines do not verify the card holder's name when making purchases.

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did that with an AA credit voucher 5-6 years ago that was in a friend's name and due to expire and also brought a letter along to the AA ticket counter at SFO. Initially they wanted nothing to do with it. Took some explaining on my part and they finally allowed it, but not an experience I'd want to go through again. In that case I paid the balance with my credit card and I was the ticketed passenger.

10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just can't see these two different parties (recall I'm an observer here) coordinating their schedules and both making the 45 min trek to SFO to turn in a voucher and try to ticket. Might be able to get the actual traveler to make the trip, but I suspect that's the best I'd be able to do. The tickets to Europe won't be purchased until the last week of June at the earliest. I'll be at SFO myself next week flying to ORD and may take time and run it by the AC there for an opinion (or ticket counter if it's empty).

DestinationDavid likes this.
  11. chanp
    Original Member

chanp Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was flying with someone earlier this year, we both got voucher. I took their voucher to the airport, paid the difference on my card. No signature, no verification, nothing.

tom911 likes this.
  12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I left SFO today I did stop by the F check-in counter and talk with an agent I regularly see there. She said the voucher holder must appear in person to sign the voucher and present his ID when the voucher is going to be applied to a second party's booking. I forgot to ask about who is responsible for the balance of payment.

weinskkb likes this.