Apps Not Being Supported?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by RCTP, Mar 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    This seems like the best place to post it. As a half past six nerd, I've finally got myself the Nexus 6 after experiencing serious memory leak problems on my Nexus 5.

Excitement aside, imagine my horror when I found out that certain apps like HH and IHG shows as not supported on my device!

What gives? Any idea why they're incompatible?

Funny thing is that while HH can't work on Nexus 6, the Conrad Concierge app works fine.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you think you have a weird problem, how about this. If you I go to Google Play and try to install the HH app and get the following:

upload_2015-3-21_21-15-27.png

You see that is says "Installed" and just below that it says "This app is incompatible with all your devices", the latter being the same message that I assume you are getting.

The funny thing is that the message that the app is "Installed" is correct. I do have the HH app installed and it was working just fine from January until yesterday when I sat down to write this post, intending to say that it works despite the claim that it is incompatible! I waited since yesterday to ensure that this problem was temporary but it has persisted, which is that when I try to log in I get a "Server error" message and the log-in fails. I can do most things that do not require that I be logged in my account, but that makes the app pretty much useless.

I should clarify that I had not installed the app directly from Google Play. Rather, I got a new Android Turbo in January and because I had backed up all my apps that were on my previous phone -- a Droid 4 Global running Android OS V. 2.x -- in the hard drive of my desktop, I simply connected to it using Airdroid -- a cool app that wirelessly connects an android phone to a computer to enable the phone to display on the computer desktop and be interacted with as if it were just another app on the computer through a web browser -- and reinstalled all my apps from this personal archive. Not all apps reinstalled properly but the HH app was among those that did reinstall and, as I said, it worked just fine for a couple of months and then it just quit working this weekend (at least that is when I first noticed it). It looks like the problem may be that the app is incompatible with Android V. 4.x, so-called kit-kat.

One work around that you might try, since it worked for me for a while, is to transfer the HH app from a phone on which it works (your Nexus 5?) to a computer and then to try installing it from the computer onto your Nexus 6.

In the meantime I just sent the following to diamond@hrcc-hilton.com
    I will report if I get a response...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  3. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm so apparently it's the app itself that's the problem.

Wonder if it's the same issue with the IHG app.

For info: last night wanted to make a room reservation and so went to HH website.

Unable to log in. That is to say after typing in the membership number, password and captcha, the website returns to the log in page with all the log in fields blank. The URL indicated that I had been logged out.

Tried it on both my laptop and mobile and got the same result. Kept on trying till I was finally logged in.

Reminds me SQ's website.

4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem with the HH app is that it has not been updated to run on the latest versions of the Android OS. All that may be required sometimes is a simple recompilation.

There was scheduled maintenance of hhonors.com from 12 am to 4 am CST...

5. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha noted. I did mention I'm a half past six nerd. :)

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Success! Someone from HHonors left a comment on Google Play saying that they'd fixed the app and that anyone with trouble should download and install v.1.13 of the app, which is the latest. The trouble is that when I went to Google Play to download this latest version, it still told me that "This app is incompatible with all your devices". I then just decided to do a Google search for the APK v1.13 and I found it here. I downloaded it to my desktop, to which I then connected wirelessly using Airdroid and downloaded the app to my phone (you should be able to do the same with a USB cable but just download and install Airdroid. You'll love it!). Once the app was on the phone, I double clicked on it and it installed without a hitch. I opened it, entered my credentials and it let me in!

upload_2015-4-6_4-35-34.png

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  7. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info @NYCUA1K!

Although I didn't go through my PC. Just downloaded from the link you provided directly to my Nexus 6 and installed it. Funny how I also couldn't download the app through Google Play.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a bit dangerous to download 'apk' files straight to one's phone because third-party sites often have hidden files -- malicious ones too! -- that get downloaded with what one wants. Other than from Google Play, I would usually first download apps for my phone to my laptop or desktop to make sure that they are 'clean' before loading them onto my phone. With 'Airdroid' my phone and laptop or desktop really become one and the same, except that the 'dirty' work can first be done on the more robust PC than on the more vulnerable phone...

I am glad it worked for you without a hitch.

9. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh... You've got a point there.. Well, it further reinforces my half past six nerd status.

Haha

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems that Hilton IT finally fixed the HHonors App to work properly on Android 4.x. The "fudged" version (1.13) that I got to work as I'd related above got automatically upgraded the "official" version (2.0.0) from Google Play, which is now working just fine.

11. RCTP

RCTP Silver Member

Status Points:
    @NYCUA1K: Yeah the app I've downloaded from the link you've provided had been update and so far it is smoother and less laggy.